Need Help with Knife Selection

This is a discussion on Need Help with Knife Selection within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Benchmade, good choice. I have a 710 Axis Lock, it has held up very well for many years of every day carry and use....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help with Knife Selection

Benchmade, good choice. I have a 710 Axis Lock, it has held up very well for many years of every day carry and use.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ramtough47
    What does everyone think about Cold Steele knives.
    Do you really want to support company who blatantly rips off other makers designs? How about a company whose owner is a complete ass, and will do anything to make an extra buck?

You can do alot better then Cold Steel.
    "Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"
    E Pluribus Unum

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If your gonna fight with it and not core apples,strip wire,or clean your fingernails,I would strongly suggest a good quality,FIXED BLADE,DOUBLE EDGE, weapon. One that has a blade legnth of between 4 and 6 inches and one that you can unshieth with one hand. If this knife is a backup for your CCW then think of it as just that when you are shopping for it. Like your CCW,only pull it when you need it. The knife that you choose you should be able to count on to protect you and your family. It should be used ONLY for that. Remember----FIXED BLADE,DOUBLE EDGED---- This IMHO.

VIP Member
    Four inches is the legal length for Tennessee, and I believe double-edged blades (daggers) are not legal.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty, States should rethink their policy when they will license an individual to CCW but not a knife. It's kinda like "it's ok for a airline pilot to fly the 747 with 450 passengers on board but it is illegal for them to have a weapon in the cockpit." Wish that the lawmakers would start taking the "common sense approach."----- The Fla. Statutes (790.001 and 790.06) state that a "Weapon" is any dirk,metallic knuckles,slungshot,billie,tear gas gun,chemical weapon or device,or any other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife." Also,"concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun,electronic weapon or device,tear gas gun,knife,or billie". This is all that I can find in our Statutes. Nothing to regulate the blade length or how many sharpened edges a "knife" or a"dirk" may have. I will continue to carry(very discretely) my Gerber and sometimes my Randall. Hope that I'm not one of the BG's ! -----

P.S. I will check with the lawyer friend of mine that helps me with my classes and if I find any other helpful info as to the above I will post.----

VIP Member
    Wish that the lawmakers would start taking the "common sense approach."
    That woud be a sight to see.

I've also never understood why switchblades aren't legal for us non-cop, non-military folks. I can open some of my thumbhole blades just as fast. I guess switchblades are too scary, for the same reason some guns are too black and plasticy.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I've also never understood why switchblades aren't legal for us non-cop, non-military folks. I can open some of my thumbhole blades just as fast. I guess switchblades are too scary, for the same reason some guns are too black and plasticy.
    Many laws against autos stem from lawmakers trying to stop gang violence (And look how well it worked!!! :rolleyes2: ).

Oh, and I don't think your actually allowed to run for office, and have common sense.
    E Pluribus Unum

Guys and gals, 10-4 your last. I can't figure why it's ok for a cop(LEO) to have a "switchblade" but it's a no-no for already checked out,scaned,and scrutenized,good guys-CCWer's. -----

Well, in many states you don't get a Concealed Weapons Permit, you get a Concealed Handgun Permit, or a Concealed Firearms Permit, this stops you from being able to carrying any other type of weapon concealed with that permit.
    Really, I don't know why people are so freaked about automatic knives or any knife in general.
    E Pluribus Unum

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Betty's right about the blade length; found this in the Tennessee code:

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.
    (a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

Of course if you go out of state, other laws apply. For example, in Colorado the limit is 3.5 inches for a folder and 3.0 inches for a fixed-blade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links