Defensive Carry banner

Need Help with Knife Selection

3K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Anubis 
#1 ·
While i am a new member to this forum I am not new to guns,but knives are a different story.Other than pocket knives such as "case,buck,uncle henry,etc.etc."i'm not very knowledgable on the subject of "defensive carry knives".I need some guidance on what knife to buy. I live in Tennessee,so 5" of blade length is all i can legally carry{i think i'm right on this}.I know that like everything else you can spend as much as you want,well i want quality,but i really don't want to spend over $100.00 for a knife that will reside in my pocket and hopefully will never see the light of day.Note here,i carry a small single blade by Kershaw that i use every day for utility purposes. I want a defensive knife that when and if the time came i would need it to cut my way to my Glock.I'm looking for cutting ability,strength of blade and lock{i get this image of my fingers being sliced off because the blade lock doesn't hold}ease of carry and quick deployment.Am i asking too much? I think i want a knife that is like my glock,easy to get hold of,quick to present,always goes bang{6000 rounds & no failure to fire}and safe. Look forward to responses.

#2 ·
I like my Benchmade Stryker (Model 910). It has a tanto blade, locks up tight, opens smoothly, holds an edge very well and is, generally, a very well made knife. I think it costs just over $100.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Hi ramtough47,
I'm pretty sure TN law only permits a blade length of 4" and under.

I'm a big Benchmade fan, too, and I'll recommend the Model 806 AFCK with Axis lock. (I have the old 800 AFCK with round Spyderhole and linerlock and love it.) The thumb hole allows for quick presentation, you can get plain blade or partial serrations, the Axis lock holds well, it has a belt clip, the G10 scales are nice and grippy, and you can use it an antipersonnel striking tool in the closed position. :biggrin: Find the right vendor, and you can get close to that $100 mark.

To really get under the $100 and still maintain quality, the Spyderco knives are really nice. There's many there that fit your description, so I'll let you do the hunting.

#5 ·
Great suggestions. I chose the Kershaw Blur assisted opener for my daily defense knife. Blade lentgh is 3 1/2 inches to the grip. Check for your laws on assisted openers though. I found mine opens faster than a few benchmade knives that are switchblades. Nice sandpaper type grip too. All black so no flash as you draw and open the blade.

#8 ·
Ramtough:

I humbly submit to your consideration the Spyderco Delica and Endura. They're the same knife, but one is bigger than the other.

The reason I do so is that these knives are typically $35ish and excellent. They are also archetypal modern folders. Owning one will teach you what you do and do not like in a knife. I would suggest a plain edge FRN handled Delica.

Now if that doesn't grab you, and that's okay I realize not everyone is a Spyderco Fiend like I am, I would suggest the more expensive Benchmade 550 or 551 or if you don't want to sink a lot of money into this, the Kabar Dozier folders are good.

Cold Steel - They're okay. You can do worse. I also feel you can do better. I've had a few and they were all right but I traded them off. What I like about them is that they have some unique designs no one else offers, and if you like the design you'll probably like the knife.

In any case, you'd do well to ask about any specific model you may be considering.

#9 ·
Well, I took the plunge today at the gun show and bought a Benchmade Osborne Axis 940S, nice looker, good feel for "my" hand, and it's a tanto too! I debated on whether to get one with the serrations, but after talking with the dealer, decided it might come in handy. Got it for $127...seemed good deal compared to Benchmade website ($180).

#10 ·
Prospector said:
Well, I took the plunge today at the gun show and bought a Benchmade Osborne Axis 940S, nice looker, good feel for "my" hand, and it's a tanto too! I debated on whether to get one with the serrations, but after talking with the dealer, decided it might come in handy. Got it for $127...seemed good deal compared to Benchmade website ($180).
Welcome to the Benchmade Owner's Club, I'm sure you'll like it.... :wink:

#11 ·
I've had to pull a knife twice to stop being robbed. First one years ago was my spyderco delica ( it fits my hand better than any folder I have ) the click in the still morning air sounded like a gun safety behind my back and the guy took off like a scalded dog! Last time I was forced to use my cheap jap work knife I skin wire with. It was my only choice at the time and caused the guy to back away enough I got to my truck and left Dodge before a gun fight broke out while I only had a knife! Good thing I had dark underwear on! I also at times carry a spyderco endura that is a little big for my small hands but I manipulate it well. I prefer the spyderco orientation of the blade as I have it coming open on the way up and out of the pocket. I also have a Browning folder that is a fighting knife with a tanto blade. All three are strong and don't fold up on me under heavy use. The jap junk work knife I don't trust the first bit. It is a cheap frost just for ruining at work but when it is all you have it is a God send! I'm convinced it saved me at the very least getting the crap knocked out of me. Find a knife that feels good on the draw and opening and will work with reduced fine motor skills. It is just like looking for a carry gun! IMHO. One last thing! A sort of pointed reverse end of the handle will really slow someone when taken to the temple of the head, just another feature to look at when choosing a blade.

#13 ·
What does everyone think about Cold Steele knives
Let me tell ya 'bout Cold Steele.
I've been carrying a Cold Steel Vaquero Grande for four years now as my EDC. It's never let me down. I've used it for everything from opening boxes to light carpentry. I've also used it a few times as a can opener. The blade still cuts like the day I took it out of the box. If I lose it, I'm out $100, including the shipping. I can handle that.
The last two years, I've had a Cold Steel Pro Lite as my off hand Knife. For the price of $55.99, it can't be beat, IMHO.
Like Glocks, some folks don't like Cold Steel. Some do.
I love them. Cold Steel's customer service has been excellent.

#14 ·
Cold Steel Knives

Personally I think they are right up there with the better knives. Lots of good styles, excellent steels, solid as a rock lockup. A buddy has a HUGE folder at work that we carve turkey and hams with. 3 years, I don't know how many slices of meat, no sharpening, and it is still shaving sharp! Fair prices too! The new fixed blade they have with the little flip away cover that stays with it. I'd like one, too bad the wife doesn't read this forum maybe I'd get one for Fathers Day :biggrin:

#15 ·
Bumper said:
Welcome to the Benchmade Owner's Club, I'm sure you'll like it.... :wink:
In terms of benchmade, I'm surprised I haven't bought one yet. I just recently bought, or will when I get the paycheck, the MOD Mark I. They are great knives, I play with them all the time at work, but just never became a huge fan. I currently own the following: SOG Flash I, SOG Trident Folder, Boker Magnum Kalishnikov, Boker Magnum Kalishnikov Auto Conversion, CRKT Law Enforcement M16 Small Tanto, Masters of Defense 685 Series with Clip point and 2 smith and wesson HRT boot knives. Once i get the paycheck, the MOD Mark I will be part of the family :p

#17 ·
ramtough47 said:
What does everyone think about Cold Steele knives.
Do you really want to support company who blatantly rips off other makers designs? How about a company whose owner is a complete ass, and will do anything to make an extra buck?

You can do alot better then Cold Steel.

#18 ·
If your gonna fight with it and not core apples,strip wire,or clean your fingernails,I would strongly suggest a good quality,FIXED BLADE,DOUBLE EDGE, weapon. One that has a blade legnth of between 4 and 6 inches and one that you can unshieth with one hand. If this knife is a backup for your CCW then think of it as just that when you are shopping for it. Like your CCW,only pull it when you need it. The knife that you choose you should be able to count on to protect you and your family. It should be used ONLY for that. Remember----FIXED BLADE,DOUBLE EDGED---- This IMHO.

#20 ·
Betty, States should rethink their policy when they will license an individual to CCW but not a knife. It's kinda like "it's ok for a airline pilot to fly the 747 with 450 passengers on board but it is illegal for them to have a weapon in the cockpit." Wish that the lawmakers would start taking the "common sense approach."----- The Fla. Statutes (790.001 and 790.06) state that a "Weapon" is any dirk,metallic knuckles,slungshot,billie,tear gas gun,chemical weapon or device,or any other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife." Also,"concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun,electronic weapon or device,tear gas gun,knife,or billie". This is all that I can find in our Statutes. Nothing to regulate the blade length or how many sharpened edges a "knife" or a"dirk" may have. I will continue to carry(very discretely) my Gerber and sometimes my Randall. Hope that I'm not one of the BG's ! -----

#22 ·
Wish that the lawmakers would start taking the "common sense approach."
That woud be a sight to see. :eek:

I've also never understood why switchblades aren't legal for us non-cop, non-military folks. I can open some of my thumbhole blades just as fast. I guess switchblades are too scary, for the same reason some guns are too black and plasticy. :rolleyes:

#23 ·
Betty said:
I've also never understood why switchblades aren't legal for us non-cop, non-military folks. I can open some of my thumbhole blades just as fast. I guess switchblades are too scary, for the same reason some guns are too black and plasticy. :rolleyes:
Many laws against autos stem from lawmakers trying to stop gang violence (And look how well it worked!!! :rolleyes2: ).

Oh, and I don't think your actually allowed to run for office, and have common sense.

#25 ·
Well, in many states you don't get a Concealed Weapons Permit, you get a Concealed Handgun Permit, or a Concealed Firearms Permit, this stops you from being able to carrying any other type of weapon concealed with that permit.
Really, I don't know why people are so freaked about automatic knives or any knife in general.

#26 ·
Betty's right about the blade length; found this in the Tennessee code:

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.
(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

Of course if you go out of state, other laws apply. For example, in Colorado the limit is 3.5 inches for a folder and 3.0 inches for a fixed-blade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.