Knife recommendations?

This is a discussion on Knife recommendations? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That Columbia River Dogfish looks like a nice little knife, and in all honesty I'd be using that bottle opener more than the blade!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife recommendations?

That Columbia River Dogfish looks like a nice little knife, and in all honesty I'd be using that bottle opener more than the blade!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
    I'm looking for a new knife with a 3" blade length... Any suggestions for a good blade? I'd like to keep the price point under $50, and I prefer a plain fixed blade, especially for a knife so short. Also, laws in my state prohibit double-edged blades, otherwise I'd just carry a push dagger and be done with it.
    FWIW, laws in your (our) state also prohibit the carrying of fixed blade knives of any length unless carrying afield while hunting. You should also be advised that many cities in SE MI have 2.5" limits on folders. Anything that can be considered to close to brass knuckles will also jam you up.

Having said that I carry a CRKT Crawford Kasper. It's relatively cheap so I won't be heartbroken if it has to be ditched or confiscated, and has a 3" plain blade (partially serrated available) that takes a good edge and opens effortlessly.

A good flashlight can also be an effective defensive tool, especially with a striking bezle. I don't know what campus you're talking about, but I also always tote OC with me. Never underestimate the power of OC...but don't overestimate either. Also, although I can't seem to find it at the moment, there was a company selling a sort of "sap hat", which was a baseball style hat that had a pocket inside the crown that contained a pouch of powdered lead. The idea was to grasp the hat by the reinforced adjustment tab and start swinging and whacking with it. Although I believe under MI law it would be considered a "slapper", and would therefore be illegal to carry.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    I second the 3" Delica with wave feature.
    I also endorse it. It's my EDC, and it's a great knife!

Mainspring: Maybe you can help me clear this up. From my understanding of MI law, you can carry any length knife as long as it's not a "dirk, stiletto, dagger, or double-edged knife."

"Sec. 226.

Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent—Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars."

According to this section, if you don't intend to use it unlawfully, then it's fair game. (I'm assuming self-defense doesn't fall under this category, but I'm no lawyer and far be it from the legislature to make laws that people can understand clearly)

However, the law goes on to say:

"Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00."

This seems to say that any dangerous weapon is illegal if it's concealed. In my view, this can include just about anything at all.

Thumbs up Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    not a fixed blade, but I really like my Kershaw Leek for a 3" blade

Ken Onion/Leek...assisted opener...nice...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
    From my understanding of MI law, you can carry any length knife as long as it's not a "dirk, stiletto, dagger, or double-edged knife."

This seems to say that any dangerous weapon is illegal if it's concealed. In my view, this can include just about anything at all.
    Knife laws in MI are very, very tricky and very subjective depending on what municipality you're dealing with. And good luck defining "dirk, stiletto, dagger".

Yes, if you can find a folding knife with a 12" blade that isn't double edged, TECHNICALLY if you don't carry it with illegal intent you're ok, according to state law. Good luck with that. There is no preemption regarding blade length, and virtually every city has laws that are much, much more restrictive than state law. It's pretty tough to not get crossed up sideways with local codes concerning knife carry, and there is no short answer. Your best bet is to stay with folders that have blades 3" and shorter. You have to really annoy most LEOs to get jammed up carrying a 3" single edged non-auto folding blade.

The goofy knife laws in MI are the reason that I recommend CRKT folders; Fairly inexpensive especially if you shop around on ebay and at the Wolverine knife shows, they're of sufficient quality to get the job done, and if it gets lost (for whatever reason), it's no big deal.

Of course, if you only have one arm, it's legal in MI to carry an auto. That's a good bar bet, even with LEOs.
    Last edited by Mainspring; April 15th, 2007 at 11:43 PM.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    One of the reasons I like to recommend the Spyderco Delica to non-leo types is really a idea pointed out to me during a visit with a major knife manufactor. His statement was pretty simple. The jist of his comments were "its kinda hard for a cop to arrest you for carrying the same knife they are most likely to have in their own pocket". Now that dosent mean it wont happen, but a study by this manufactor showed that the #1 most carried knife by leo's was the Spyderco Delica (or another Spyderco). Now thats is not saying all do (infact I am more often with my Emerson but always with my Delica Rescue) just that its prob a knife they have seen or carried themselves.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

If I could have only a single blade, I'd get a Spyderco Delica or Native. While there are many nicer knives out there, these are hard to beat for value and usability. Practically indestructible. Extremely sharp and easy to keep that way (with resharpening).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My Kershaw Scallion 2.4", works real well for me. It clips to the inside of my pocket, stays sharp, comes with a great warranty, and can be opened with one hand with just the flick of your finger. I bought mine from Walmart a couple years ago.

pmt
    Another vote here for the Kershaw Leek. It has been my EDC for 3 yrs.
    3" folder in SS with assist opening for $40. Tip up carry, or lays nice & flat inside a pocket.
    USP9 CUSTOM SPORT (X2)
    HK34FTCB
    P7PSP
    Left handed compliment:
    "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

New Member Array naturalbornjoker's Avatar
    if you can take a look at the ka-bar tdi on your weakside and a surefire e2d on your strong side.

Considering the old 7 yard rule...

You should do just fine in the close spaces w/i a campus.

If you want a folder w/o assisted opening (something which should be fun in the courts explaining)...

Go take a look at the boker trance or something from crkt

best of luck!

Anything from CRKT, great knives @ great prices. Check out the clearance pages at knifecenter.com/knifeworks.com.

SOG?? Problems?

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    a good start is the ryan plan b from crkt. it's under 3", is fixed, comes plain or 50/50, and is now really cheap, since it's been discontinued. you can find it for under $30 most places. i own one, and like it, but fortunately, i'm not as limited in my choices as you are. try here: http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum4293.php
    and here:
    http://www.knivesplus.com/CR-2803-CRKT.HTML
    for a product review, click here: http://www.themartialist.com/pecom/planb.htm

if you don't mind SOG (many here, including myself, will not buy them), there's this one: https://www.thebladeshop.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=1579

here's one more good site for knives on the cheap: http://www.knifezilla.com/

okay, i'm with the linking; i'm link happy today...
    I just saw this thread. Have people here had problems with SOG? I don't have one, but was considering one of the old super heavy duty folders with nearly a 4 inch blade.
    The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance

MT, SOG has had some issues stemming from their treatment of service members. Just do a search of this site for Sog, and posts by Fed_wif_A_sig.

Nothing neccessarily wrong with their products, but they have done the types of actions that can cause the public and informed individuals not to buy them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

SOG?? Problems?

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    a good start is the ryan plan b from crkt. it's under 3", is fixed, comes plain or 50/50, and is now really cheap, since it's been discontinued. you can find it for under $30 most places. i own one, and like it, but fortunately, i'm not as limited in my choices as you are. try here: http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum4293.php
    and here:
    http://www.knivesplus.com/CR-2803-CRKT.HTML
    for a product review, click here: http://www.themartialist.com/pecom/planb.htm

if you don't mind SOG (many here, including myself, will not buy them), there's this one: https://www.thebladeshop.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=1579

here's one more good site for knives on the cheap: http://www.knifezilla.com/

okay, i'm with the linking; i'm link happy today...
    I just saw this thread. Have people here had problems with SOG? I don't have one, but was considering one of the old super heavy duty folders with nearly a 4 inch blade.
    The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links