Any thoughts on throwing knives? - Page 2

Any thoughts on throwing knives?

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on throwing knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Listen to the advise here.....None of the posters has said that throwing knifes are a good weapon. There is a reason for them saying that. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on throwing knives?

Senior Moderator
    Listen to the advise here.....None of the posters has said that throwing knifes are a good weapon.

There is a reason for them saying that.

Plus they might be a felony for carrying an CA
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you're only a foot away from someone, I'd suggest you hold onto whatever you're going to hit/stab/shoot him with. Not to mention the legal/illegal issues.

Heck, if you want a "first line of defense" (I'm assuming to buy you time & distance), carry a cane/walking stick. Wack him with that to stun him as you pull out your gun (If you carry one).

At least you won't have to fight an ADW in court, which is another felony.

Just my opinion, of course.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Sponsor
    Throwing knives [ thrown knives as opposed to knives made expressly for throwing ], would not be a good idea for several reasons, as others have mentioned above here.

If you want to learn to throw knives, screwdrivers, nails, hatchets, etc there are several vids out that will give you an idea of "how to" make em stick at varying distances.

Leave the "art of throwing and sticking" objects to fun, not some serious self defense option IMO.

Tangles mention of throwing to distract is viable and worthy of discussion as that is going to be a tactic one could use in limited scope on the streets perhaps.

Years ago when I was carying two folders, one in each front pocket, it may have been an option and had been set aside as a potential tactic with limited use, but throwing to stick it was not considered, nor even practiced for SD purposes.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Something else to consider is that the human body is not so easy to penetrate to a really damaging depth. Michael Echanis (and I won't go into why he would know) wrote in one of his treatises on edged weapons that it was extremely hard to even do more than superficial damage with a thrown knife.

Shurikens where originally used as mostly distraction for a different attack or to help escape. Another common tactic was to throw them into the ground while fleeing a group hoping someones lightly sandaled foot would get punctured!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator

Slightly Off Topic But, Interestingly Related

Does anybody remember the story of the Bad Guy that threw a knife at the armed Good Guy...

The Good Guy then shot the B.G. while the knife was in the air and...

(I think) it was the Defense for the Bad Guy that made the argument that since the Bad Guy no longer had the knife/weapon "in hand" at the time that he was shot - The Good Guy shot an unarmed man that was no longer any deady threat?

I cannot verify the above story only that I remember reading it in one of the Gun RAGazines years ago.
    I'm not saying it's TRUE only that I DID read it & it was not a dream that I had.

Anybody else remember reading that?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Does anybody remember the story of the Bad Guy that threw a knife at the armed Good Guy...

The Good Guy then shot the B.G. while the knife was in the air and...

(I think) it was the Defense for the Bad Guy that made the argument that since the Bad Guy no longer had the knife/weapon "in hand" at the time that he was shot - The Good Guy shot an unarmed man that was no longer any deady threat?

I cannot verify the above story only that I remember reading it in one of the Gun RAGazines years ago.
    I'm not saying it's TRUE only that I DID read it & it was not a dream that I had.

Anybody else remember reading that?

I wouldn't be at all surprised that some lawyer would try that defense. I've played around with throwing knives and shuriken in the past but it's strictly an entertainment type of thing.

If you've let the BG get within one foot of you before you decide to defend yourself I really hope you're on good terms with the man upstairs. Anything approaching 21' and my radar's in overdrive, much closer than that you're likely in trouble.
    Jack

Thanks for setting me straight, Everybody.

Thanks.

My ideal self defense throwing weapon would be a 5 ' spear with an 8 " blade. However, law enforcement takes a dim view of carrying around a such a weapon. I can't even carry a hand gun in this county: Alameda. And it's a dangerous county. The Oakland area where I live has one of the highest murder rate in the country.

Somebody wrote that carrying a handgun (here) without a permit is only a misdemeanor charge, provided one isn't a criminal. And the gun is legal. While carrying a baton or throwing knife, etc. is a felony.
    This is true.

I want to protect myself, but I don't want to break the law. It's a tough situation.

For a More Effective Defense...

Quote Originally Posted by Norwolf View Post
    While I've owned and thrown some in the past, I often wonder if they could be used as a back up weapon.

Or have I watched too many old movies.
    If you want to throw something...

Throw the gun...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have to agree that arming the BG just isnt up my alley. Old wise SF instructor once told me throwing a knife leaves you empty handed. Holding a knife leaves you with sharp object in your hand. Plus most folks have a hard time hitting a target with a pistol under the stress of a real life shooting, just imigian the "fine" motor skills to used to throw a knife. I'll pass. I know "ret" was joking when he said "Throw the gun" but if my pistol was out of ammo (and all my mags empty too), I'd sooner throw my empty pistol than my perfectly good knife.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Concerning shurikens and throwing stars, it should also be mentioned (or at least I read) that their tips were DIPPED IN POISON so that even a scratch from one could mean death. Otherwise, they may stick, but it's unlikely they are going to wound so badly that the BG falls down and dies.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Quote Originally Posted by Norwolf View Post
    Thanks.

My ideal self defense throwing weapon would be a 5 ' spear with an 8 " blade. However, law enforcement takes a dim view of carrying around a such a weapon. I can't even carry a hand gun in this county: Alameda. And it's a dangerous county. The Oakland area where I live has one of the highest murder rate in the country.

Somebody wrote that carrying a handgun (here) without a permit is only a misdemeanor charge, provided one isn't a criminal. And the gun is legal. While carrying a baton or throwing knife, etc. is a felony.
    This is true.

I want to protect myself, but I don't want to break the law. It's a tough situation.

I see a move to a different state in your future.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I think a knife as a SD weapon is extremely chancey. But I can say I know a guy who spent several years in prison for killing another man by throwing a doubled edged knife at him. I won't swear to the fact but I think he was sentenced to 7 years. I also heard on the local news a few months back I guy was convicted of murder with a throwing knife the type wasn't mentioned but it happened near Lexington KY.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Throw a knife !! What for !!

If you throw a knife at someone, well it's actually better to throw a rock.. A rock could actually do some damage.. A knife NEVER !! It looks good on a action movie but thruth be told your actually better off holding it and moving quickly towards your target.. On another board they did a " Knife V Gun " thing 20 people.. Gun in holster, knife out 20 feet apart.. WHO WON !! 19 out of 20 would have been killed by the knife.. #20 serious wounds.. They used a paint mixer with chalk on it, but with the number of hits the knife made, slice and diced !! Better to hold the knife and rush them.. Running towards them will most likely make them wet there pants..

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The best comment I ever heard on throwing a knife at an opponent was "Why would you want to disarm yourself?"

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Yes, Don't...
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links