Any thoughts on throwing knives?

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on throwing knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I've owned and thrown some in the past, I often wonder if they could be used as a back up weapon. Or have I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on throwing knives?

While I've owned and thrown some in the past, I often wonder if they could be used as a back up weapon.

Or have I watched too many old movies.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, for one, you live in California I see. It can't be double edged & you're limited on the length of the blade if you're concealing it.

So, it's going be a relatively short, single edged throwing knife. You're probably better off getting a CCW. Strangely enough, a knife violation is a felony, while some handgun violations are misdemeanors. I am definitely NOT advocating carrying a handgun illegally, just saying that carrying an illegal knife is a bigger no-no than a gun, oddly enough.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Lead Moderator
    Too many movies
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Yea, dodge them.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Throw a weapon and miss, bad guy picks it up and throws it back. I consider it bad form to arm the enemy.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Administrator
    One could make the legal argument that if the Bad Guy was far enough away from you that you had to throw a knife at him then why didn't you just hurry up and go pronto in the opposite direction and remove yourself from the immediate deadly threat?

Throwing knives...great fun sport but, not for serious self defense.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Norwolf View Post
    While I've owned and thrown some in the past, I often wonder if they could be used as a back up weapon.

Or have I watched too many old movies.

i'm gonna go with the old movies thing.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    One could make the legal argument that if the Bad Guy was far enough away from you that you had to throw a knife at him then why didn't you just hurry up and go pronto in the opposite direction and remove yourself from the immediate deadly threat?

Throwing knives...great fun sport but, not for serious self defense.
    Agree100%.

You're more likely to do serious damage to the human body with a derringer in .22 cal than with a thrown knife. Too many movies!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Not to mention that a large part of throwing knives effectively is knowing the rotation distance of the knives at hand. I don't think I'd want to depend on my ability to judge the number of spins at a given distance under pressure.

Just my 2 cents,
    B.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ...Throwing knives...great fun sport but, not for serious self defense.
    There is no guarantee the thrown knife will be successful by any degree. If it isn't, then what?

I can't help but think that in the time and effort required to draw, 'cock' and throw a knife, esp. with questionable effect, much more effective measures could be taken.

However, I believe there is some merit in throwing a small knife as a distractive measure to buy time/distance to take more effective measures. But such a situation seems very unlikely to present itself.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

if you want a thrown blade type weapon, i think that shuriken and shaken ("ninja" stars and spikes) are more practical. the stars throw better, as long as they're heavy, and the spikes are pointed at both ends. cold steel makes a very heavy version of the spikes called "torpedoes", and they throw well. even if they don't penetrate, they still hit hard.

VIP Member
    I'm with QK on this one, sorry.

Definitely keep in mind what weapons you're legally limited to, and also keep in mind what a California jury would think if you deliberately walked around with what the average person considers "ninja-type" weapons.

While some people may consider throwing knives/shurikens/etc. as viable defensive weapons, others (police, judge and jury) would likely see you as a "disturbed wannabe ninja who's out looking for trouble." We have a hard enough time as it is with just our guns.

Surviving a life-threatening encounter is only half the battle; surviving the courtroom is the other half.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

The way I thought about it,

The way I thought about it is: one wouldn't throw / release the knife / projectile / dart until the bad guy was very near. Say about a foot away. That way the knife has a better chance of hitting the target, and rotation is kept to a minimum. And one would have 3 knives / darts/ stars, or ..... And it would be a first line of defense. Maybe packing more deadly back up fire power.

I have an idea... NO.

In addition to the throwing knives, shurken, and darts I would advise having a sword cane to complete the image.

I, like everyone else her, enjoyed the scene in The Magnificent Seven where there was a Gun vs. Throwing Knife shootout. It was far from real though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links