Kukris for for SD.

Kukris for for SD.

This is a discussion on Kukris for for SD. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking lately at the various kukris for sale from Atlantic Cutlery, Himalyan Imports, and Cold Steel. After doing some background reading on these ...

Thread: Kukris for for SD.

Kukris for for SD.

I've been looking lately at the various kukris for sale from Atlantic Cutlery, Himalyan Imports, and Cold Steel. After doing some background reading on these knives, I found that the SF Gurkhas actually have used them for quite a long time in fighting situations -- so much so that they are feared on the battlefield for their hacking abilities. Do you truly think these knives are suitable for SD? The biggest part that bothers me about them is the lack of a guard, since it definitely limits the number of attacks you could perform with the blade (basically down to just making chops at the other person). But what do you think? Those of you who actually carry long knives, would you think about carrying one of these for SD?

Also, does anyone have any information on how good the ones from Atlanta Cutlery are? Himalyan is far too pricey and Cold Steel is too far from the traditional look to suit me.

Oh, and for those of us who just can't resist those websites..

Himalyan Imports -- http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

Atlanta Cutlery -- http://www.atlantacutlery.com

Cold Steel -- http://www.coldsteel.com

Last edited by Risque007; April 15th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

I carried one in Panama back in the 80's when it was forbidden to carry a firearm, kept one close in Honduras too...

the British colonial troops who carried them were deadly with these knives, IIRC an old friend who fought in N.Africa (he caught Normandy in person too) used to talk of the little colonial soldiers (Gurkha's) who carried these and they used them effectively to remove sentry's heads...

currently there are sooo many options that are legal, and in some areas these may not be any more...Mine is secure in a case with my Gerber model 1.

They are great fighting knives. I have an old, 17 year old, AC Indian one that is a great utilitarian knife. You could certainly fight with it. It is not only a chopper as you can certainly thrust with it.

That said... in the house you are better served by a gun. On the street you will almost certainly be unable to carry one and again, a gun would be better. I have left it in a trunk as a catch all tool but I would go to the gun first.

i own two, a traditional one from atlanta cutlery and the mini gurkha from cold steel. they're two of my favorite large blades. kukris are not only great for SD, but are excellent all around tools. i kept one in my van and one at home; if you're camping or hunting, they're probably the best knife to bring with you. it chops, hacks, cuts, slices, skins, you name it. and the lack of a guard is of no real consequence; even if you're thrusting with it, most kukris have waisted grips, so your hand shouldn't slide up and get cut.

I think that the greatest reason they are reknowned as a superb fighting knife is the Gurkha's that are carrying them. They grew up with them and have been extensively trained in their use.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

They are incredible choppers but definetly not legal for carry in most places. The imports are made from pretty low grade steel. I have a Ghurka issue that is about 130 years old and the shape is a wee bit different than the modern ones.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    I carry knives for utility use, my pistol is for self defence.

I like the gurkha for brush clearing and genearl utility work outside. I don't know how carrying one EDC would look to a prosecuter.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Here is the one I have.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/websto...kha_kukri.aspx

One big honking piece of steel with a full tang and the wood scales frimly attached with two huge rivets. Take the little knives that come with it and toss them. They are absolutely useless. Mine has some rust from time to time but it only adds to its utilitarian beauty. It was $20 when I got it, I see they have gone up.

Anything that looks fancy will be break. You want something ugly and durable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    I think that the greatest reason they are reknowned as a superb fighting knife is the Gurkha's that are carrying them. They grew up with them and have been extensively trained in their use.
    +1.

I've read in multiple sources that their skill with the blade isn't so much due to specific combat training with the kukri but because they use it all of the time for everyday chores since they are children.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I carry knives for utility use, my pistol is for self defence.

I like the gurkha for brush clearing and genearl utility work outside. I don't know how carrying one EDC would look to a prosecuter.
    Another +1.....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/
    I like these. They're hand made in Nepal from old truck springs. The blades are over 1/4" thick at the spine. I haven't been impressed by any I've seen for sale in the states.
    They're heavy, and good for chopping. The angle of the blade makes it more ergonomic for stabbing (IMO), but the lack of guard would give me pause.

It's a good all around field tool but not the first thing I'd grab for self defense. Now when the zombies rise, it will be on my hip.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I have two, but I forget the model/maker off hand. I keep one around for home/SD and I use the other for brushclearing/misc. Believe it or not that big heavy bugger makes quite a throwing knife. I stick mine regularly(log as a target) out to 10 and occassionally 15 paces(and no, I'm no midget so they're real man sized paces). Although I don't know about the one you have pictured...Yours seems to have that slight curvature back up towards the tip. Mine doesn't (it's more the traditional styled blade I guess). I'm not home so I can't take a pic, but found one similar online(I actually throw this one). Great thing is that that one actually keeps a really good edge too. Extremely hard edge and doesn't wear much even though most of it's work is brush hacking (backyard and hiking trips).

I should have added that I only throw for ENTERTAINMENT value. I wouldn't want to throw it for defensive purposes. For that I'll plan on sticking to my 1911 throwing lead.
    Last edited by packinnova; April 16th, 2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: moral obligation
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Hmmmmmm. You may be able to legally, but... you need at least the distance you would need for a HG draw. Your advantage is what, exactly? A small (2-4")fixed blade, carried midline gives you some terminal BG repellant if you get smothered, and may allow you either time to escape, or distance to step up your level of force. But unless you want silent, brutal and deniable, a big knife in the urban environment is hard to justify.

Khukris are definitely formidable, CS and Ontario make about the most user-friendly ones I've handled, but getting "exotic", intentionally, may have you answering questions with no good answers. If you're into Silat (IIRC), you can argue practicality within your scope of training. Otherwise, picture the attorney of the disadvantaged urban youth you "dissuaded" holding it up in a court of soccer-mommies and daddies, and showing pictures of Gurkha commandoes.

This is one of the few cases I would say your tool could be a real legal disadvantage.

Sponsored Links