I need a new folder, help me pick one... - Page 2

I need a new folder, help me pick one...

This is a discussion on I need a new folder, help me pick one... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This 3 1/2" Kershaw is the best knife I have ever owned. Retail is $99.00, but I got one for $54.00 on line. The one ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need a new folder, help me pick one...

This 3 1/2" Kershaw is the best knife I have ever owned. Retail is $99.00, but I got one for $54.00 on line. The one handed opening is great, and the blade is super tough. For the money, I don't think there is a better knife out there. Model # is 1670BLKST.
    Attached Images

Another vote for the Spyderco Delica or Endura (waved version). I've carried these for a few years now and have been very pleased. As has been mentioned, the Gen. 4 models are very smooth, more ergonomic than previous generations, and the VG-10 steel takes a wicked edge.

An added benefit is that they're not so expensive that you'll cry if you lose, break, or have to ditch one.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I am lucky enough to have one of the origional Spyderco Endura WAVE that Sal made as a limited run, before they became a production item. For general duty, the Spyderco Delica WAVE is a great knife and unlike the Endura it dosent ride up as much when wearing Wranglers.

It choosing one knife for patrol/personal defense, my selection would be down to three.
    #1. Emerson Knives. Cant beat an Emerson. I've had one since the late 80s and to this day it still carrys nicely and the blade still cuts very well, even after being slammed into the head of a large dog. I have a CQC-7B but am seriously looking at getting a Mini-Commander or CQC-14.
    #2. Spyderco WAVE. Either the Endura (which is in my pocket as we speak and will be with me on my bike ride/camp out this weekend) or the Delica. Either one will hold up and do what you need to do.
    #3. My final knife is recommended because after reading up on this knife and having worked at the same agency as the designer, it is going to be my next purchase. Boker/Wagner. This knife is totally designed for fighting/patrol use. You can read up on the design at http://www.jimwagnertraining.com/homelinkboker.html (written by Jim) or at The Martialist magazine http://www.themartialist.com/1206/wa...alityblade.pdf.

Watch your six,
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator
    Thanks Steve! I am changing work assignments in a month, and I need a knife now more than ever...

I am stilling whimpering over the loss of my benchmade, but shopping for a new knife has been therapeutic.

Wow, that Boker looks mean!
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 19th, 2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added Boker comment
    "Just blame Sixto"

There's a few of those Bokers on eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ade&category0=

JD
    Administrator

Thumbs up

If your looking for a utility/every day knife get the Spyderco waved endura. If your looking for a pure defensive knife get the Spyderco Civilian, aka mean people saw.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    If your looking for a utility/every day knife get the Spyderco waved endura. If your looking for a pure defensive knife get the Spyderco Civilian, aka mean people saw.
    Its purpose will mainly be utility, but I do use it as a back up to my back up while at work. I have some Puerto Rican friends who have taught me some very interesting tactics with a knife...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    If I was in a situation that required the level and price of that knife- I think I'd just use my Glock.

Really- Not to be mean, It's designed for an "untrained" person to use in defensive situations, the design is just for slashing. Initailly it came with a video or dvd- teaching the agent how to slash. There isn't a utility side to the blade.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have some Puerto Rican friends who have taught me some very interesting tactics with a knife...
    Were those friends using Filipino Combat System? I know Ray Dianaldo has a large following in Puerto Rico.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

i'm puerto rican....i think knife use is imprinted in our DNA...

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    If I was in a situation that required the level and price of that knife- I think I'd just use my Glock.

Really- Not to be mean, It's designed for an "untrained" person to use in defensive situations, the design is just for slashing. Initailly it came with a video or dvd- teaching the agent how to slash. There isn't a utility side to the blade.
    I know there's no utility side for the knife, that's why I said, "If your looking for a purely defensive knife," get the Civilian.

And price wise, it's not THAT expensive. And as a defensive knife, slashing is best. If someone is slashing in my direction while backing up, I'm sure as heck not going any closer to that thing.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Were those friends using Filipino Combat System? I know Ray Dianaldo has a large following in Puerto Rico.
    I dont know enough about it to tell you what it was. I do know from what I have learned in the military and as a LEO, a Puerto Rican with a knife is one of the few things on earth that truly scare me. Thank god I've always been on their good side, and I have learned because they were kind enough to show this white boy how to fight with a knife.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i'm puerto rican....i think knife use is imprinted in our DNA...
    From my limited knowledge on knives and Puerto Ricans, I cant disagree with you on that one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

[QUOTE=jdlv4_0;346519]I said, "If your looking for a purely defensive knife," get the Civilian.QUOTE]

Yup- You did. If the other guy has your "Civilian" we may just pass up the G19 for the 12ga.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

Try www.jaxknives.com
    His prices are decent and he carries a lot of brands and a pleasure to deal with.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links