I need a new folder, help me pick one...

This is a discussion on I need a new folder, help me pick one... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My beloved Benchmade has been liberated from my grasp, I dont know what happened to it, but its no longer in my possession. So, I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need a new folder, help me pick one...

Administrator

My beloved Benchmade has been liberated from my grasp, I dont know what happened to it, but its no longer in my possession.
    So, I need to replace it. I know next to nothing about knives except I know quality and demand it in my tools.
    I am not sure I want to spend the money to get another like it, since I could not hang onto it. I've had it for 7 yrs though...

I was looking at Spydercos offerings, I have always been impressed with their blades, but I wonder how smooth they are. Can anybody advise?
    My folder must be able to open one handed, must be able to cut seatbelts, and the clip must be able to be set up for left hand use.

Any of you knife nerds have suggestions on brands/models?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Bet you'll get plenty of suggestions but I'll throw in my 2c ........ after carrying my Buck Mayo TNT for a long time I got tired of the slight excess in size.

I do not think a long blade is the whole deal. I picked up a Kershaw Scallion (genuine one - not a copy) .. and altho blade only 2.5", I carry it left pocket and it is fast to open after some familiarization. It has held edge very well.

The clip is not moveable and you may perhaps feel it needs changed for left - but I have adapted.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    I have a tiny one of those, I forgot about it. Kershaw ingraved my name on it for me, and they gave it to me as a gift for helping them out with some stuff. That was when they first came out more than a few years ago...

I like that little knife, but its just to small. The 2.5 version just might work though...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Since you mentioned Spyderco and want one-hand opening, check out their Delica wave with 74 mm blade and their Endura wave with 97 mm blade. The wave is a point-facing hook at the base of the blade that can be snagged on the edge of the pocket to open the blade as it is pulled from the pocket. I have these and a couple of Emersons with the wave (it's an Emerson patent) and like them all. These Spydercos both have 4 ways to mount the clip, both sides and either end.

The wave is best used on jeans or Carrhart pants, not Armani!

Hey Sixto,
    You've helped me out on Glocks, and I'd love to share with you. In Knives- you really get what you pay for.

You mentioned Spyderco- and they're well made. But- of the 5 I've owned, they're all stiff and slow and dificult to open with one hand. I adjusted the tension screw and the blade gets "floppy" So after experiment- if the blade is the proper tension, it's going to be stiff to open.

I suggest Benchmade or Emmerson for the best. If you just know you'll loose it and want money for your next Sig228 (Ha!) then SOG are my pick. They do a great job. I've used (and abused) one for years on things "I didn't want to mess up my Benchmade on" and it's just a tank, good serration too. http://eknifeworks.com/webapp/eComme...A=&SKU=SOGXV71
    Check it out!

Kyle
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Kyle, people here are split on Sog knives as they have bad PR.
    They are very good knives for the money, I have a Twitch XL for non-work EDC and it flips open like a dream and a Powerlock as work BUK.

Sixto, go to the A.G.Russell knives site and just click through the manufacturers. I would however suggest a Boker Subcom for BUK and seatbelt duties.

Do you have a SigTac knife already?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Do you have a SigTac knife already?

LOL, no.

Kyle, I agree that the benchmade is the best, but I'm pissed at myself for losing it, so I dont think I will buy another for awhile.
    That knife was so smooth and held its edge for the years I had it.

Are the metal handled spyderco's smoother than the plastic ones? A friend has one of the police models, at its pretty smooth. The plastic ones I've messed with are stiff, thats why I'm hesitant.
    Thanks for the link, I'll look it over and come back with more questions I'm sure.

Anubis, those are the two models I was looking at.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Sixto,

I have a metal handle Syderco and it is smooth as silk, it was a little stiff when I first got it, but it smoothed out with some opening ang closing.

I have notice that the plastic handle ones are stiffer, than the metal handle ones too. At least it is with the guys I work with.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Sixto, you want to check out the new Gen 4 Spydercos- they have stainless liners, bronze bushings, ambi/up/down removeable clips and a redesigned (stouter) point. As smooth as my Clark custom .

The wave is a great addition. If you like Emersons, you'll love the Spydie licensed version. It is deeper (more positive), and not as sharp-edged (not as hard on the pockets). Waved or plain, with all of the above for about $50...............

Well, for what its worth I will throw in my suggestion as the Spyderco Delica with Wave. Its what I got back when I was looking for a folder. I stayed away from the metal handles, because even though I really liked the look, I was afraid that with sweat/blood/bar juice all over my hands it would get slippery. The model I have has 4 positions on which the clip can be attached, and with the wave it is a breeze to open one handed with a little practice. It's not too stiff one handed either, and the blade has held up well and remained sharp.

If I had know this while I was just down at home I'da let ya borrow mine for a few days to try out.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    ...Spyderco Delica with Wave...

If I had know this while I was just down at home I'da let ya borrow mine for a few days to try out.
    Thats the knife I'm leaning towards, unless someone comes on and talks me out of it.

Thanks for the sort of kinda offer, but I didnt know I was in the market for a new knife until a few days ago, besides I would have lost yours too the way I've been lately.
    "Just blame Sixto"

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=20890

Theres my thread from when I was trying to decide between a Spyderco or a CKRT M-16, theres some pretty good info in it and could answer some of your questions.

I don't have anything bad to say about the knife. Mine has only seen casual use (obviously no self defense situations with it). But I am very happy with it. If ya have any other questions about it feel free to ask and I will try to answer them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hey, I took a look at the Delica and I'm liking it. As I mentioned earlier- I've not had great luck with Spyderco's opening smoothly, but if you try & like it, it should be a good knife. AUS8 is really good steel and sharpens well.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

i don't know much about guns, but i do about knives. if you want a dependable blade for less than $100, you really need to look at what spyderco, cold steel, kershaw and crkt have to offer. all of them offer excellent folders in the $40-$100 range.

I bought three of the original Spyderco Delicas with plastic handles (one for my wife and one for my brother).

None of them are the least bit stiff. Very easy to open one handed. By placing my thumb in the "hole" in the blade, flicking my wrist while transitioning my thumb into a thumbs up sign position, it looks like opening a switch blade. The blade locks solidly.

My wife likes to hold it down at her side while opening slowly with a slight smile on her face. Not sure I want to know what she is thinking.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links