Canes and Airplanes

Canes and Airplanes

This is a discussion on Canes and Airplanes within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read stuff here and elsewhere about a cane being an ideal defensive weapon for an airplane flight, since it is both an effective weapon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canes and Airplanes

I've read stuff here and elsewhere about a cane being an ideal defensive weapon for an airplane flight, since it is both an effective weapon and something you are allowed to take through airport security. However, I've never gotten one because I thought it would be difficult to justify carrying it. I'm not realy old enough, nor do I have a limp or any knee surgery scars to point to if the TSA folks ask me, "Do you need that to walk?"

Earlier this week, while I was waiting to board a flight (to California, unfortunately), it came to me. The perfect excuse to carry a cane, one which doesn't require faking a limp or dying my hair (more) gray. If anyone asks why I need it, just say, "When I sit for a long time, my knee stiffens up."

For me, at least, this has the added benfit of being true. My right knee does tend to get stiff if I sit for a long time, like a long airplane flight, though it's not enough to really need a cane. However, even if it's not true at all, it's the perfect excuse. Because the knee doesn't stiffen up until the end of the flight, it explains away the fact that I don't look like I need the cane when I go through airport security. On the other end of the flight, nobody is going to check to see if I need the cane when I'm leaving the secure area of the airport (they're only concerned about people going the other way).

Of course, the cane also has advantages when I have to visit someplace like California, Chicago, or Washington D.C. that requires me to leave my sidearm at home.

Now I just need to get a good, solid cane and some training in how to use it before my next flight.

VIP Member
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    I bought a cane for my recent visit to IL - and in fact do find it very useful when standing for long (lean on it) - plus it helps getting up from sitting too.

I'd think it is about the best we can do when otherwise being disarmed and probably in most cases it should be allowed, about anywhere.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have carried a cane on airplanes before with no hassles. Just make sure it's not aggresive looking.

Brian

Cold Steel make decent walking sticks for a good price. Plenty on eBay but watch out for high shipping, they are prone to it.

Make sure the cane/walking stick doesn't have a steel point under the rubber tip (some do, for dirt and ice)...that could be a problem...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I like the idea of a cane, but why not take it a step further? I have, in my car, a full size doorman's umbrella with a carbon fiber shaft and "unbreakable" tines. It's light enough to handle very easily as an umbrella, but when closed, has enough concentrated mass to allow solid strikes. Plus, the rubberized handle and tip make it a great walking cane when the sky dries out. I took this on my recent (and very rainy) trip to MA, and felt a whole lot better about having it in lieu of my XD (that had to stay at home in VA).

Something like this, I can't find the exact Totes model that I've got.

http://www.umbrellasusa.com/product_...1b4f70d0788766
    Last edited by Chooie; April 23rd, 2007 at 08:18 PM.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I imagine you can bring an umbrella, but if you're going someplace sunny, it's a tough sell as to why it's not packed in your baggage & or carry-on.

I can attest to Cold Steel's African Walking stick. It's made out of a plastic composit, no metal at all. I put a rubber end on it & it worked out great. I even got a compliment & was asked where I got it because they knew someone who needed a walking stick.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

There's always the Self Defense Umbrella.

http://www.real-self-defense.com/umbrella.html

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    There's always the Self Defense Umbrella.

http://www.real-self-defense.com/umbrella.html
    Perfect. I've been looking for one of these.

For those interested in a very nice companion cane that may can be utilized as a weapon, try the following link.

http://www.americancane.com/

Ayoob carries one of these regularly and they are purposely built for defense.

I am seriously looking into purchasing one.
    TecRsq
    North Gawga

The Oath of the Right-Wing Extremist:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands. One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    However, I've never gotten one because I thought it would be difficult to justify carrying it. I'm not realy old enough, nor do I have a limp or any knee surgery scars to point to if the TSA folks ask me, "Do you need that to walk?"
    Limp in airports. What the functionaries don't know won't hurt them. Slower going keeps the BP down, as well. Win-win.

In my case, I do limp already, so no faking is required.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Attention to surroundings is the best weapon. As poor as our air security is today, an individual should always be alert during air travel. Unfortunately, airlines block much of the security that law enforcement would like to implement. Even worse, law enforcement agencies, especially at he federal level, do little to require airlines to meet security requirements. I don't want to get into too much of a rant here, so I'll keep my sights on the topic here.

A good cane or umbrella is not a bad idea for self defense during air travel. But remember, there are a slew of items already on the flight that could be used to defend one's self as well as disable the would-be hijacker or passenger/lunatic.

There are plastic food trays that are attached to the seats in a very loose fashion. There are a slew of books that are brought on board that could be used as a shield or blunt trauma device. There are a bunch of jackets usually in the coat closet or just lying around that make great disabling implements when used correctly. There are also blankets that can achieve the same effect. Most airlines hand out soda and beverage cans like candy.

Defense in flight is limitless. You must simply observe the objects around you. But the best defense is observing the people around you. Be careful communicating with airline personnel when things seem sticky. They do tend to panic and overreact quite often. I haven't much faith in the airlines. So, take defense into your own hands. Be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    A good cane or umbrella is not a bad idea for self defense during air travel. But remember, there are a slew of items already on the flight that could be used to defend one's self as well as disable the would-be hijacker or passenger/lunatic.
    A trip to one place to another is only partially about sitting on the plane. Often, far more time is spent on either end, either traveling to/from the airport or transiting through the airport at either end.

When not actually sitting on the plane, those implements such as soda cans, tray tables and the luggage items are simply not available. So many of those sorts of implements require a modicum of hand-to-hand understanding. Further, running to find an unoccupied chair or something else not bolted down isn't one of those things instantly available, should SHTF.

However, swingin' a club comes naturally to most folks. The K.I.S.S. principle's a powerful thing. A cane or umbrella is one of those things that's (a) incredibly easy to manipulate as a light club, (b) easy to get through security without anyone batting an eye, and (c) something that works both on the plane and off.

Stay safe. Stay aware. Always be armed. Always know know to use your "weapon", simply and immediately if needed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsor
    My canemasters instructor cane will be flying with me to Pa for the ITFTS course next weekend. It goes along everytime I fly.

Trained with Master Shuey up in NH some years ago and picked up two of his canes. My instructor cane is Hickory heart and the trainer is walnut. The walnut trainer seems half the weight of the intructor cane.

Training with the cane comes pretty naturally as I've been using double and single sticks since 81.

No one questions the cane, and you get to board first and beat the rush

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links