Defensive Knives ? - Page 2

Defensive Knives ?

This is a discussion on Defensive Knives ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone seen the cold steel video, don't own one but very impressive....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Knives ?

Has anyone seen the cold steel video, don't own one but very impressive.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    My memories of Cold Steel knives were stitching up the leg of one of my team members when he "wipped" his blade clean on his leg. Went through his tac pants, undies and to many layers of skin before he realized what had happend.

The only thought we all had right after that incident was "Damm thats a sharp blade". Sliced him sweeter than filleting crappie.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

If you want a "REEL NIEF" then think about a Fairbairn and Sykes. This was the British Comando issue knife in WWII and for some time even later. J.Nowill & Sons in Sheffield England still make them just as they were back then. This one can be found for $100 if you look around carefully. $150 if you get in a hurry.

Another, slightly cheaper option would be the infamous V-42 reproductions. The originals are rare but there is a fairly nice copy of it made by Paul Chens outfit that seems pretty nice for the money. This was the US Commando issue in WWII. And is the symbol knife still used today by Special Forces in their logo. It is not issue anymore. The version Paul Chen is making has the nice "skull crusher" pointed pummel. This one can be found for $60. The originals were made by Case. And not that many of them. And Case put out a couple "special issues" later on but in small numbers and those are expensive. And in fact they are not quite as accurate a replica as the one Paul makes believe it or not... But very nice none the less.

Those are two wicked fighting knife daggers. So make sure they are legal in your area. But both designed as fighting knives. And both famously effective.

The F&S

The V-42

Last edited by cphilip; May 14th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    If you want a "REEL NIEF" then think about a Fairbairn and Sykes.
    Only one little itty bitty problem ...... their illegal to carry here in Texas (and Oklahoma too). Many a many a state makes carrying a "dirk" knife illegal. If carrying double edge blades wern't illegal my carry knife would be my old Gerber Mark 1 (well the one I have is a replacement for the one lost during Kosovo). In fact I have a neat setup from Andrews Leather that carries my Mk 1 on my off side mag pouch in my shoulder rig.
    Steve

yea... that could be a problem.... :D

We can carry them but they are weapons. So they cannot be carried into places prohibited from weapons nor can they be carried concealed. So like walking around town would not be such a great knife...

The would be more practical for a home defense situation or on the property sort of thing. Stashed in the car even if thats legal in your state.

But they are cool eh?

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    On duty, I carry a folder clipped to each front pocket: a Benchmade CQC7 in the right, and a SOG Trident in the left. Also, a CRKT Stiff KISS clipped upside-down to the trauma plate pocket of my body armor. (my department policy does not allow for backup guns - don't ask)

The CQC7 was the first real quality tactical folder I ever bought. I paid $140 for it at a knife shop. This was after going through 4 cheaper knives (2 Spyderco Enduras, 2 Cold Steel Voyagers - all with plastic clips) in 6 years. The CQC7 has lasted about 10 years....so far.

The SOG Trident has two endearing features: it's assisted-opening, and its pocket clip is easily reversible. This makes it ideal for left-handed carry.

I collect tactical folders. Benchmade and Emerson probably make the BEST, but they're expensive. Cold Steel and SOG are right behind them. CRKT makes some great, reasonably-priced ones. I highly recommend their M16 series, especially the big tanto-bladed one.

I'd shy away from "Smith & Wesson" or "Colt" knives, especially folding ones. They've got that flimsy asian import feel about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    and a SOG Trident
    He said the SOG word

Just kidding....really
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    He said the SOG word

Just kidding....really
    Ha ha, you taught me not to mention it here any more. Well, except in PMs...

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    He said the SOG word

Just kidding....really
    Sorry....the noob did not realize that it was forbidden to utter the initials of They Who Shall Not Be Named.....

mea maxima culpa

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Get a push knife. As big a one as you can get. Cold Steel makes some, but some other reputable makers, do too (often more pricey).

Stab or slash. Grip with shaft between index and middle fingers.

And, if at all possible, get the best training you can find/afford.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I bought a Ryan Plan B off ebay and then a guy here in Tulsa makes sheaths for them. Work great.

(Sorry Ryan...saw your lil pic there and cant resist, so forgive me in advance) Gee for a OSU grad you actually spelt your letters correctly...and you didnt have your id holding your belt closed.

BOOMER SOONERS

Seriously though, let me know who the guy is up in T-town making them sheaths. I'll give him a holar when I'm back up home to make me one for my fixed blade.

On the "Push Dagger" comment, I mentioned that earlier, they are called in alot of states a "dirk" and typically illegal to carry. Check your own states law, but if you see the word "dirk" then you know that is an old term for a push dagger or double edged blade. I have a Cold Steel one that I love, but again, even though I can get away with carrying it, I would sure hate to use it and try and explain to a jury why I carried and used an illegal weapon to end so and so's life.
    Steve

That's a pretty sweet rig, Kevin

For those of you who asked and PM'd me - I contacted the gentleman who made this for me to see if I could give out his number (which is all I had) when he gets back to me - I'll post his info. He makes these defensive sheaths for several styles of knives and also makes practice versions of these knives as well. I do know, that several members of the Tulsa Police Department get them from him.

His name is Dave Pyle. His email address is :
    dave_p37@yahoo.com

He says he has several in stock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links