Defensive Knives ? - Page 3

Defensive Knives ?

This is a discussion on Defensive Knives ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to carry a Spyderco Matriarch, and will soon be carrying it's big brother, the Civilian. For firearms retention and last line of defence ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defensive Knives ?

I used to carry a Spyderco Matriarch, and will soon be carrying it's big brother, the Civilian. For firearms retention and last line of defence for security/LE professionals, it's a great slashing tool, and can also be used for First Aid (removal of clothing is a breeze).

For a mixed approach, eg secondary SD and utility, a Spyderco Waved Delica is a good choice.

Another option for exclusive SD, one I personally haven't tried yet, is the Spyderco P'Kal, designed for Pikal/Reverse Edge Methodology. It's got a removable wave and is getting fantastic reviews.

I shouold note; I'm not a 'sticks to one brand' guy, but the fact is, Spyderco makes good stuff.
    PAX IN BELLO

Quote Originally Posted by disko View Post
    Another option for exclusive SD, one I personally haven't tried yet, is the Spyderco P'Kal, designed for Pikal/Reverse Edge Methodology. It's got a removable wave and is getting fantastic reviews.
    this one's on my "short-list" as well...can't wait to get one.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I carry a larger fixed blade knife,and my ken onion speedsafe kershaw,as well as another cheapie that has AMAZING wave action (I think its called? new guy here?) at ALL TIMES. I'm still getting used to the larger seathed knife,I feel like everybodys staring at me. Fully legal b/c its in plain site in VA last I checked. But I need to firgure out how to look up more of the local laws

my favorite 2 knives: benchmade 3550BK auto, and benchmade 42 bali-song.

p.s. sorry for the bad pic, only one i had of them

My choice

http://www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html

I have occasionally carried an Al Mar fixed double edge I've had for a couple of decades. Wiped it off on my pants once and put 1 1/2 inches of the tip into my knee, very shallow, parallel to the skin surface. For self-defense, the Al Mar is the one I would choose, but the Recon1 is light and inconspicuous clipped in a pocket (and more legal, as well).
    Lifetime NRA Member
    Bleeding Heart, Gun-Toting Liberal (sort of)

A small fixed blade knife hidden on the centerline of the body is your best bet. Now when would it be used? Anywhere within arms reach, grappling, or getting out of a certain hold like a rear naked choke. They are fast and deadly.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Sponsor
    I've gone to carrying a rather large fixed, just because I can. Haven't had a folder in the pockets for years now.

As to instructors, look to Jimmy Keating, Mike Janich and if you can locate and get into a course of his, I'd highly recommend Ray Dionaldo out of Fla.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Many of you guys are lucky because you can carry fixed blades of decent length. Here, in Cali., you pretty much can't conceal a fixed blade unless it's 2" or less, maybe 2.5".

We can carry, concealed, a folder of pretty much any length, though.

Personally, I usually have 3 knives on me. I carry a HAK on my keychain. It's the simple Utility model (I can't seem to sell it, so I might as well carry it), a Subcom in one pocket (Also use it as a money clip), & some type of folder in the other (Right now it's been a Leek G-10 with S30V steel, but I mght change that).

I have a Powlkowski/Kasper Companion, but it's too big to carry here. Great knife, though.

I'm getting a Benchmade Activator (Snody design with 2" blade), we'll see how that works out.

Knives are kinda like guns, you just can't have one. Fortunately, unless you're buying collectables or VERY high-end knives, they're not as expensive.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links