List of Reputable Knife Companies

This is a discussion on List of Reputable Knife Companies within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just thinking about this when I was looking for a good liner-lock tanto folder. These are the first companies I would look at. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I was just thinking about this when I was looking for a good liner-lock tanto folder. These are the first companies I would look at.

Benchmade
    Emerson
    Spyderco
    Cold Steel
    CRKT

Can you think of any others?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Boker & Kershaw come to mind.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - those would be on my list for sure, plus Kershaw (genuine - not rip off copies). Now IIRC it is SOG that is on fed_wif_a_sig's badboy list altho from quality POV folks have spoken well of them.

There was a recent thread on knives and makes you may want to check out -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ghlight=knives
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Al Mar
    Buck and Gerber arn't bad for the price I think
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

Ka-Bar looks like it has a good tanto folder with it's new Mule.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ya what he said about SOG. Reputable? I dont think so.

Oh also put Strider Knives on the bad boy list too. At least SOG didnt lie, they just didnt appologize for thier guilt.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Boker & Kershaw come to mind.
    I disagree with putting Kershaw on that list.

I don't like their knives much at all. I bought their "Amphibian". What a piece of junk. Under the plasti-rubber on the grip, it rusted EASILY. The grip material could not be removed, so there was no cleaning that rust off from underneath. Sorry, you don't call a knife "Amphibian" if it can't be cleaned of salt water after it's seen a day out there in the ocean.

The serrations that are on a bunch of their knives are really lousy. It's like they're the reverse of serrations that other companies use. Rather than having teeth with scallops between them, the scallops themselves are at the edge. How do you sharpen that?! In between the scallop-shaped teeth are narrow grooves that no sharpener is getting into. Their serrations are done backward.

Those assisted opening knives are gimmicky and pointless, to me. I'll take a thumbhole every time, or even better, a Wave! (My Spyderco Delica Wave is always with me. There's no better knife, nor any need for one.)

I dont think that because you dont like one model of a knife maker, should allow for them to be listed as "non-reputable". Kershaw makes some very nice knives and their assisted opening knives serve a purpose. Yes I like my WAVEs but I've even had my Spyderco's and Emersons tuned to open very similar to that of Kershaw's assisted opening. In fact one of the great knife instructors, who passed away last year, taught and insisted that your knife should be able to open without using your thumb, the WAVE or a push button (automatics). Not because they dont work, but because in the heat of the moment, you blade needs to come out with a flick of the wrist.
    Steve

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think Kershaw has different "grades" of knives. I took a Kershaw off of someone & yes, it seemed like a pos. OTH, I seened some very nice Kershaws, particularly the Ken Onion models with premium steel, that I thought were very comparable to other high end production knives.

If I'm not mistaken, there's at least 2 different grades of their Blur folder. I've seen some with lower grade 440 steel (Not 440c), & I've seen Blurs with S30V (Definitely a higher grade steel).

& I agree, a good combat folder should be able to be opened with a flick of the wrist, too, not just some fancy new opening system.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Assistant Administrator
    I think Kershaw has different "grades" of knives.
    As I made reference earlier - I have been led to understand that ''Kershaw rip-offs" exist - made goodness knows where but certainly not genuine Kershaw. I suspect it is possible that some bad kama is laid on Kershaw because of those examples.

I have been more than pleased with my Scallion which has been in steady use now well over a year - and this pic shows what I feel should exist on a genuine blade. I still intend to get a Spyderco sometime.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Kershaw certainly does make different grades of knives, I have one of their "nicer" knives and it is really well made....just something to keep in mind when you are shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyghost View Post
    Al Mar
    Buck and Gerber arn't bad for the price I think
    I agree and but vote for Buck Knives. They have SOOO many types to choose from and price is fair. Plus I can stop by their factory and pick one from their 'seconds' where you can't find the flaws without trying hard. Example, I bought a Buck 110 for $20 and had it signed / engraved by both Chuck and CJ Buck!

Is SOG part of the Cold Steel line? I like the Buck and the Gerber brands, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

No SOG is its own company, seperate from Cold Steel, a totally different company.
    Steve

Emerson +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links