Emerson CQC -- you like?

This is a discussion on Emerson CQC -- you like? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lol, so I was looking on ebay and ran into the Emerson CQC with the 3.3 in. blade. I like it and I'm planning on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emerson CQC -- you like?

Emerson CQC -- you like?

Lol, so I was looking on ebay and ran into the Emerson CQC with the 3.3 in. blade. I like it and I'm planning on buying one later on. But first I had to ask -- what do you guys know of it? Is it any good? Does it last? And lastly, for an "everything" knife, should I go for the 3.65 in. blade or 3.3 in. blade?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Are you kidding? Yes, the Emersons are great knives & they last. I have the 3.3" blade one with the partially serrated tanto blade in satin finish.

It's the best folder I have & that I've handle for the money. What are they going for, BTW?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

From what I have heard Emersons are pretty much the folders to have. I want to get one at some point. I don't think .3" of blade is going to be that big of a deal. I have found that more than 3.5" and folders can be uncomfortable to pocket carry all day.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I forgot to add that earlier. I think the larger blade folders are less comforable in the pocket. You wouldn't think 1/2" would make that big of a difference, but it seems to.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I'm basically going for an all-around EDC folder that can do just about anything. I carry a spyderco endura (waved), but I feel it is a little too specific and doesn't suit me for an all-around carry (this includes one I can carry whether wearing jeans or an armani suit). The Emerson CQC, from the look of it, seems to fit the bill and it also has a sort of classic "no nonsense" design that I really like. Spydercos just aren't, at least to me, very pleasing to the eye like the Emersons are. But yes, I think, from what I've heard here and my own personal experience, I'll go for the shorter blade since it seems to lend itself better to EDC and all-around utilities.

Why so SERIOUS?

I carried an Emerson/Benchmade CQC-7 for quite a while (this was many years ago, before Emerson got his production knife line up and running). It was a nice, durable knife. While I didn't find the chisel grind to be the most ideal all-around cutter, it certainly got the job done and was an astoundingly durable knife.

It was a nice little knife, and was my "gateway drug" into higher end knives.
    ;)

B.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I've carried an Emerson CQC-7B since the first year they came out. I couldnt be happier with it. I know they work well enough to penetrate the skull of a large canine and drop it in its tracks. I've cut seatbelts, and pretty much anything i've needed to cut for so long I dont even remember being without it.

I about died when I realized I didnt have the money for this one called the "Cammo Commander" http://www.emersonknives.com/ECA/Home.html. I'll just have to hope and pray it will become a stock item.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Emerson is the best in my opinion. I've had 3 or four of them over the years and they all have been great.

I am very disapointed in the chisel grind blade. It does not cut as well and does not hold an edge as well as a regular blade. I would not spend the money again.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Normal,

In defense of the chisel grind, I have seen examples that cut amazingly well, but...they've been custom knives from Mike Snody.
    http://www.snodyknives.com/

B.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I cant disagree more on the Emerson chisel blade. It worked perfectly in a on target hit. Split open and into a skull easily and dripping the bad dog instantly. To sharpen? Not that difficult, just follow their directions. Labor consuming but not difficult.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I carry CQC 11 love it. You will not go wrong with one.

CQC 11 I agree is a terrifically balanced knife, pretty too!:)

Yehaw!

Woo hoo! My NIB Emerson CQC7b that I got for around $99.00 just came in the mail. I like it a lot, except the leaf spring clip feels a little gritty when you try to close it (is this pretty normal??) The handle is very grippable and it's light and easy to carry around in a pocket. Will post pics as soon as I finde the USB transfter cable for my camera!

Why so SERIOUS?

Is that the partially serrated tanto blade?
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links