Knife Laws in Texas?

This is a discussion on Knife Laws in Texas? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the knife laws in Texas regarding concealed carry? Length? Double-edged ok? If anyone has a link to the laws, that would be perfect... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife Laws in Texas?

Knife Laws in Texas?

What are the knife laws in Texas regarding concealed carry? Length? Double-edged ok? If anyone has a link to the laws, that would be perfect...

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/petoc.html

Check 46.01 and 46.02. In short, an illegal knife is a knife with a blade > 5.5", a knife designed for throwing, a dagger/dirk/stiletto/poniard, bowie knife, sword, spear, or a knife that opens automatically by a spring, force of gravity, or centrifugal force.

So, less than 5.5 inches... no butterflys/switchblades/etc... no double-edged (that constitutes a dagger)... etc.

On the "centrifugal force" part... I've never seen a folder that couldn't be opened with a flick of the wrist. Oh well.

My personal carry knife is a Benchmade "Mel Pardue".

Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/petoc.html

Check 46.01 and 46.02. In short, an illegal knife is a knife with a blade > 5.5", a knife designed for throwing, a dagger/dirk/stiletto/poniard, bowie knife, sword, spear, or a knife that opens automatically by a spring, force of gravity, or centrifugal force.

So, less than 5.5 inches... no butterflys/switchblades/etc... no double-edged (that constitutes a dagger)... etc.

On the "centrifugal force" part... I've never seen a folder that couldn't be opened with a flick of the wrist. Oh well.

My personal carry knife is a Benchmade "Mel Pardue".
    Excellent - thank you. My thoughts exactly regarding centrifugal force. Only old-timey pocket knives aren't able to open that way.

Tvsjr got most of it.

ON centrifugal force, that is language specifically designed to ban balisongs, so I wouldn't suggest worrying about it.

Also, keep in mind that cities may dictate their own knife laws, EG: Corpus Christi has a length limitation of 3 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffy View Post
    Tvsjr got most of it.

ON centrifugal force, that is language specifically designed to ban balisongs, so I wouldn't suggest worrying about it.

Also, keep in mind that cities may dictate their own knife laws, EG: Corpus Christi has a length limitation of 3 inches.
    He's right, I live there... but i know many people who carry over 3 but under 5.5 because that is a little known ordinance.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Be sure to check out San Antonio though. It's illegal to carry any kind of lock blade there.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffy View Post
    Tvsjr got most of it.

Great, guess I'll have to research Harris County (Houston)...

Quote Originally Posted by 77bob View Post
    Be sure to check out San Antonio though. It's illegal to carry any kind of lock blade there.
    77bob,

While this is certainly true on the books, practically every adult male I see (and many women) carrying folding(locking) knives. From what I'm gathering, its a city law written years ago to combat gang violence. Most citizens don't seem to concerned with it. While I'm sure that if a person did something stupid and illegal, they'd most certainly tack the illegal knife carry onto the list of charges, in general it seems to be a non-issue.

I only mention this because I was very concerned about that law when we were first planning our move to SA.

Eventually I'll be circumventing the problem entirely by replacing my folding EDC with a fixed blade, probably one of Spencer's great little SAR Hornets.

Cheers,
    B.

Quote Originally Posted by arawn View Post
    77bob,

While this is certainly true on the books, practically every adult male I see (and many women) carrying folding(locking) knives. From what I'm gathering, its a city law written years ago to combat gang violence. Most citizens don't seem to concerned with it. While I'm sure that if a person did something stupid and illegal, they'd most certainly tack the illegal knife carry onto the list of charges, in general it seems to be a non-issue.

I only mention this because I was very concerned about that law when we were first planning our move to SA.
    Yeah, I read something about the gang violence, but it never stopped me from carrying my pair of Spyderco Delicas and my Ruger Sp101 on the Riverwalk when visiting your town. Fun place you have there.

Cheers,

I carry an automatic, but it was issued to me by the Army. I also have an Army ID card. I've been pulled over and searched before (P.I.) and they LEO didn't have a problem with it.
    I'm wondering if I got lucky though. Any LEO have problems with military and automatic knives?
    "Common sense is buried right next to personal responsibility in the social graveyard." - Andrew Wilkow

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by notromt View Post
    I carry an automatic, but it was issued to me by the Army. I also have an Army ID card. I've been pulled over and searched before (P.I.) and they LEO didn't have a problem with it.
    I'm wondering if I got lucky though. Any LEO have problems with military and automatic knives?

Switch blades are generally regarded as a big no-no here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by notromt View Post
    Carrying an auto is illegal in Texas for anyone except a commissioned peace officer. Technically, you could easily be arrested for Unlawful Carry of a Weapon (UCW), a misdemeanor A, with an enhancement to a felony 3 if done on the premises of a facility licensed to sell alcohol.

I'd leave the auto at home.

Guess I'll need to buy a different knife for when I travel to TX. I'm there a few days each month for work.
    I love my auto too. It's such a great knife. Benchmade 9100 w/ tonto blade. Oh well.
    "Common sense is buried right next to personal responsibility in the social graveyard." - Andrew Wilkow

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    I've never seen a folder that couldn't be opened with a flick of the wrist.
    They are out there, I've seen them...

On one of my old folding knifes I took a dremel to the pin inside to make it open a little easier, the experiment was a disaster, the knife opened way too easy...so I was never able to carry it in my pocket.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    Switch blades are generally regarded as a big no-no here in Texas.
    Absolutly legal in Fla. w/a ccw concealed....openly w/o....tho you might run into the local ordnance issue on the latter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links