Pepper Spray - It Works!

This is a discussion on Pepper Spray - It Works! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dwolsten So when LEO-types are going through this training, and have to be sprayed with OC spray or tear gas, how many ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Spray - It Works!

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    So when LEO-types are going through this training, and have to be sprayed with OC spray or tear gas, how many of them find out they're not affected by it?

I read somewhere that about 10% of the population is not affected by OC spray, and also that 10% is not affected by tear gas. However, it's a different 10%, so many police will carry both in case one doesn't work.

I don't know if he was naturally immune or just conditioned...but when I went thru the gas house in basic training my DI stood there with no mask, hooting and hollering at us as we did our gas drills. When he came out he didn't have as much as a watery eye to show he had been in there.....he was one MEAN SOB!!!!!!

2. Remove Ads

Lol, When I was in the gas house, I got to about my third general order and thought I was going to die. What is the range of some of these sprays?

I have understood that the problem with foam (and maybe gel) is that whoever got hosed can throw the stuff back at you which would obviously be no good.

Also, the fog isn't as good as the spray because it is affected alot worse by wind. Spray seems to be the best of the options.

SPRAY

As a LEO I too was sprayed with 5.5% @2,000,000 shu's and it hurt like a mother. Now a company called fox laboratories has a 2% with 5,300,000 shu's which is even hotter. Try that one cause I did and it hurt like a *****.

Sabre Red is used in a lot of florida Prisons, Good Stuff.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I've had occasion to use OC in fog and stream form, but not foam.

Each has its pros and cons.

Based upon my experience and IMHO, the fog is more effective. You encase their head in an orange cloud, and when they breathe, they're breathing fire. If they can't breathe, they can't put up much of a fight. Likewise for not being able to keep their eyes open. The downside of the fog is that it's practically useless, and sometimes counterproductive, if there's any kind of meaningful wind movement. Also, its effective range is shorter.

The stream is fantastic for reaching out a little farther, pushing through a little wind, and getting it in the eyes of the aggressor in a fight. But, unless you get it IN their nose or mouth, don't expect much in the way of respiratory effects, 'cause they ain't happenin'.

Both kinds work great on CUJO, by the way, and generate a lot less hate and discontent than blowing away poor Fluffy, who would never hurt a fly.....

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Lol, When I was in the gas house, I got to about my third general order and thought I was going to die. What is the range of some of these sprays?
    The gas used in the gas house was tear gas...when I was a drill those of us selected for house duty would go out there the night before and live in the gas house all night to build up a tolerance to it. Sucked at first but made up for it when your troops looked at you like you were an alien being able to stand there a breath what was killing them.

As far as OC Spray (major different stuff from tear gas), it was origionally designed for the US Park Service to spray bears with. That was fine till a Park Ranger used it against a human and there you have it, newest toy (back in the late 80s).

Have used it a ton of times against all forms a beings, from cats, dogs, birds, snakes (they really hate the stuff) and even people. One thing I know is it works. Dogs will continue on course if running, even put their heads through walls and fences if their at full speed. Snakes will coils and roll in circles. Cats....well thats one you'll just have to see for your self.

As far as humans go, its awsome and works on most everyone, including the most drunk and stoned of stoned. It dosent take the fight out of them but it sure gives you a serious advantage cause their trying hard to breath and see, unless of course the spraying officer happens to get you while getting them to.

I like the stream for patrol because its less effected by the wind and less blow back in my face. The foger works well in close quarters and the fire extinguisher size is stinking awsome in large crowds or rooms.

However, in my experiece, if someone is one of the truly mental folks, real real call the guys in white coats and bring a strait jacket mental, OC hasnt seemed to effect them. Dont know why, but evey true mental I've sprayed like to lick it off their face and it never took the fight out of them. Thus came the Tazer....which is kewl unless your using an alcohol based OC spray and then you have a flaming nut. That happened to a town outside of NYC and cost them dearly.

Personally, it sucks, but I'll take it over "The Ride" any day of the week.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    It works well on bears, here is a picture of bearspray being used.

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    Sabre Red is used in a lot of florida Prisons, Good Stuff.
    Well, it's good to hear others are using Sabre Red. I don't know of anyone around here that uses it other than us.
    Beretta 92FS

I just bought a can of this stuff the other day at a local pawnshop, say's it's 15% and is made here in florida, called "The Disabler"...I test sprayed a burst or two when I first got it and caught a slight whiff...it was pretty bad and felt like I was going to suffocate as my lungs burned like fire for a few minutes...and that was just a very little "whiff"..I can't imagine a full blast in the face with this scary sh*t!

Oh come on... Don't ya just want a lil' spray in the face...? lol
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by fldude View Post
    I test sprayed a burst or two when I first got it
    Now for the bad news. Once you spray even a little it breaks the seal on the cans spraying mechanism on most types of OC. After a short while the container will depressurize and that could be a bad thing if you ever need it.

Years ago I was a dealer for some of the early stuff and we were told by the manf's to stress this. That's why we also sold cans of inert training spray for operating experience and range testing. Their tech dept said that once the mechanism was depressed, even for a short burst, it was best to toss it and get another.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Is this stuff legal to carry with out a CCW? Does anyone know about Virginia?
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    So when LEO-types are going through this training, and have to be sprayed with OC spray or tear gas, how many of them find out they're not affected by it?

I read somewhere that about 10% of the population is not affected by OC spray, and also that 10% is not affected by tear gas. However, it's a different 10%, so many police will carry both in case one doesn't work.
    I'm not an LEO, but I have a feeling that I would carry ONE or the OTHER. My reasoning would be, if I sprayed a suspect and found it had no effect, I would not want to have to switch cans with what may now be an irate and violent person charging me. I'd switch to gunfire at that point. And I would not want to have had with me a second can of something different, so that some lawyer could say, "And why, Mr. Peaceful, did you not try to subdue Mr. IwasneverviolentIswear with your can of teargas after you found that the pepper spray had no effect? Was it that you wanted to shoot my client?"

If you have it, you're going to be expected -- at least by somebody, whether it's the brass, or a judge/jury, or the perp's family -- to have exhausted your less-than-lethal options before firing. But at the same time, you might be putting yourself in real jeopardy by taking the time to drop one can and ready another one, rather than just doing what is most expedient in ending the threat, which would be shooting.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fldude View Post
    I just bought a can of this stuff the other day at a local pawnshop, say's it's 15% and is made here in florida, called "The Disabler"...I test sprayed a burst or two when I first got it and caught a slight whiff...it was pretty bad and felt like I was going to suffocate as my lungs burned like fire for a few minutes...and that was just a very little "whiff"..I can't imagine a full blast in the face with this scary sh*t!
    The only whiff of pepper spray I've ever had was back around 1998 when I had a can of Mace brand, I don't know what formulation it was, but the plastic part of the sprayer was orange. I sprayed a short burst onto parking lot pavement, rubbed some onto the tips of my fingers, and took a gentle sniff from a few inches away. It was quite uncomfortable for a tiny dose, and gave me an idea of how bad it must be when it's full-on.

I bought a can of something recently called, yes, "Whoop Ass" pepper spray. It claims to be super powerful, but wary about the idea of "breaking the seal" I have never sprayed it at all. It's in the console of my car, doesn't seem to have ever leaked or anything.

I'd love to have some controlled exposure to see just how bad the stuff is (pepper spray) in general. I have a hard time understanding how a person who has been made unable to breathe because of the choking/coughing doesn't just die of asphyxiation. Can anyone explain how this is, when, for example, you get a shot of it in the nose and throat together?

And I thought there was a neutralizer solution that you could splash or spray on an affected person's face to cancel the burn. Isn't there? And if so, wouldn't they want to use that when LEOs sample the effects? I mean, why suffer for 30-45 minutes??

Anyone familiar with the "Whoop Ass" brand? I hope I don't get in trouble for writing that -- honest to god, it's the real brand name!

P.S. I am curious about allergic reactions that some may have to O.C. spray.
    I myself don't suffer from allergies, but there are people out there who can DIE from eating like a single peanut. Surely there are people who will be that allergic to capsicum extracts, yes? There are people out there for every kind of food known to man, with allergies that mean they have horrible, life-threatening reactions. Why not pepper spray? Anyone know of any deaths due to the stuff, where it was the active cause of the death?
    Last edited by peacefuljeffrey; June 2nd, 2007 at 06:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links