Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
I'd love to have some controlled exposure to see just how bad the stuff is (pepper spray) in general. I have a hard time understanding how a person who has been made unable to breathe because of the choking/coughing doesn't just die of asphyxiation. Can anyone explain how this is, when, for example, you get a shot of it in the nose and throat together?
And I thought there was a neutralizer solution that you could splash or spray on an affected person's face to cancel the burn. Isn't there? And if so, wouldn't they want to use that when LEOs sample the effects? I mean, why suffer for 30-45 minutes??
Anyone familiar with the "Whoop Ass" brand? I hope I don't get in trouble for writing that -- honest to god, it's the real brand name!
From my experience with exposure (it sucks big-time by the way), it is difficult but not impossible to breathe. I found that I had to keep my neck straight. If I turned my head, or looked down it was enough to make it very difficult due (I guess) to the swelling of the throat.

as to the neutralizer, I've never heard anybody actually recommend it. The instructors I've talked to and trained with all just say get a hose or spray-bottle (to flush the eyes) and then sit in front of a fan. My de-con time ('till I could keep my eyes open w/o difficulty) was about 15 minutes using the above method.

Never heard of "whoop-ass" brand...I'd personally stick with the recognized manufacturers (1st Defense, FOX, Sabre, etc.), preferably whatever your local police use.