Pepper Spray - It Works!

This is a discussion on Pepper Spray - It Works! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I got pepper sprayed as part of my training. I don't recall what we are carrying (new stuff to us). All I know is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Spray - It Works!

Pepper Spray - It Works!

Today I got pepper sprayed as part of my training. I don't recall what we are carrying (new stuff to us). All I know is it's 10% and has a SHU of 2,000,000 and that it works.

I reacted the same way most people (but not all) react; burning on skin (which I didnt mind as much as...) feeling of sand in the eyes that just keeps on burning.

I wouldnt bother posting anything, but I've noticed alot of posters on this message forum seem to dismiss pepper spray, and I am here to say that they need to reconsider; sure, it's not 100% effective, what is?; but if pepper spray can do what it did to all of the guys I work with, well, it opens your options up.

I just figured I'd post a thread to tell everybody to really consider the stuff.
    Beretta 92FS

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    It can be very effective. I'd say it worked on far more people than it didn't, & went through many cannisters of the stuff.

I know it took me out of the fight when I got sprayed. My friend, who chose not to get sprayed (Personally, it makes sense to get sprayed, just like it makes sense getting tasered), he walked with me to the bathroom. Well, he forgot to wash his hands when he took a leak. I got a good laugh hearing him scream out, complaining of the pain down there. Personally, I think I got the better end of the deal. I'd much rather get my eyes sprayed, thank you very much.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; May 16th, 2007 at 04:35 PM.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

1943 - 2009
    Well, he forgot to wash his hands when he took a leak. I got a good laugh hearing him scream out, complaining of the pain [b]down there.[b]
    Ouch!

I'll bet he doesn't do that again!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    A caught a blast of the stuff down my throat and some in my eyes during my LE training.....I was still able to draw a red gun and issue commands to the "bad guy" but in a very Mickey Mouse squeaky kind of voice........it was not a fun experience. After the scenario, I practically peeled my face off and pleaded with the Good Lord to kill me swiftly to end my misery.

Some folks faired better than I, but not many, and most were affected like me; a couple were worse off.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

So when LEO-types are going through this training, and have to be sprayed with OC spray or tear gas, how many of them find out they're not affected by it?

I read somewhere that about 10% of the population is not affected by OC spray, and also that 10% is not affected by tear gas. However, it's a different 10%, so many police will carry both in case one doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    So when LEO-types are going through this training, and have to be sprayed with OC spray or tear gas, how many of them find out they're not affected by it?

I read somewhere that about 10% of the population is not affected by OC spray, and also that 10% is not affected by tear gas. However, it's a different 10%, so many police will carry both in case one doesn't work.
    I have not met anyone from that 10%
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

We had to use some at the bar about two weekends ago. It cleared the bar and made about 20 people puke their guts out. the man hit in the face with it was then handcuffed and he was in so much pain and discomfort he defiled himself there in the street. The police that arrived were not happy to have to take his stinky ass in their car so they called a EMT to check him for "injuries"
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

VIP Member
    MOST people will react like the product was intended: To cry and beg for mercy. Some, very very few from what I have read, will not react and it is usually because a previous condition like drugs or high tolerance to pain. I have a friend you can spray gallons of the stuff on his face and he barely blushes while his brother starts crying by just looking at the label. My only problem with pepper spray is the wind deflecting the stream and down here in Miami is an issue. Right now we have a 14 mph constant wind and it slowed down from earlier today. I have seen the spray now in gel and foam but still wonder about it. But I am not an expert! Any illumination on the issue will be greatly appreciated!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I didn't think it was 10% that's not effected, maybe it is, I don't know the exact figures. It just seems like the ones not effected are high on something. As to mace, I don't think it's that effective. I know when I was in the academy (Quite a few yrs ago), we walking into a shack that was filled with mace. It was uncomfortable, but you could still do what you needed to do. You might not be able to full line up the sights on your gun because of your eyes tearing, but you could see (Point shooting is very efective at this point).

Out here, I don't think any Depts issue mace anymore, it's just not that effective. OC (Pepper spray) OTHH, seems to be quite effecitve, except for that small group or drugged out group that it won't.

Pernally, I have a little cannister in my car, but my wife has a combination spray of OC, mace, & dye (To help ID the idiot, er suspect).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Uh, I thought "mace" was pepper (OC) spray, but with tear gas added. Mace is a brand name.

I have spent 10 years working in prisons and have alot of experience with OC. I carry pepper spray whenever I am off duty. It does work on most people, especially if you get "the good stuff". Not all OC's are created equal. I use Punch II. I have yet to see it fail. A very important aspect of OC and CC is in the case of trouble with someone that is not armed with a gun. If this person tries to attack you, going straight to lethal force is a very bad idea, but you also don't want to wrestle with someone when you have a gun for fear that they may take it from you. If you use the OC and it works, great. If it does not, then you have a case for going lethal. It is about options and progression of force. My .02.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Senior Moderator
    Punch II is good stuff, thats what I use and is issued to us.

The only time I have seen it not work was on a deranged physco that was so high on Meth that he probably could have taken several .45 slugs to the head and not known it for a day or two.

Every time somebody around here gets sprayed, it always seems to get on everyone somehow. I transported some jerk that pounded his wife into the dirt that had a couple of can sprayed on him. It took some effort for several cops to cuff him. By the time I got to the Detention Center, my whole face and lips were numb and my eyes were burning. This was even with the Plexiglas divider between us.

Anytime Ive handled someone that got sprayed, it migrates to me somehow and its just a matter of time till I feel the effects.

One good thing about it though... after someones has been sprayed they dont want it ever again. We've had a few of the local hardcases just give up the fight at the first mention that they would get sprayed if need be.

It is a good tool to use in the force continuum.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've been hit with mace before, and it sucked...

I watched my friend get maced a few years back with MK4, it took near 30 minutes for it to have any effect on him.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I have seen the spray now in gel and foam but still wonder about it. But I am not an expert! Any illumination on the issue will be greatly appreciated!
    Yeah I would like to know about this as well, specifically how it would affect asthma. Would it mess me up as bad as I remember OC messing up my mom on an accidental discharge in the house.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Well, I just got off my shift. The OC we carry is Sabre Red. I can't seem to find any reviews of the OC on the internet, but from what I could tell, it worked wonders.
    Beretta 92FS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links