KA-BAR Mule Tanto Folder

KA-BAR Mule Tanto Folder

This is a discussion on KA-BAR Mule Tanto Folder within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Generally I've alway's depended on Harsey or Chris Reeve knives and even Strider for all my knife needs. However if your not a stranger to ...

Thumbs up KA-BAR Mule Tanto Folder

Generally I've alway's depended on Harsey or Chris Reeve knives and even Strider for all my knife needs. However if your not a stranger to Strider or Hasey or Reeve then you know that their blades are not for the nickel and penny pinching poor boys.

Recently on another forum one of the members started a knife thread regarding inexpensive folders that are in fact ready and capable of hard duty use. One of those knives was the KA-BAR Mule Tanto folder.

Blade is AUS 80 Stainless. I hard duty steel that is good comprimise in chromium to carbon blend capable of holding and edge better than most other direct type knives made of lesser steels. I decided ot order one since the price was only $43.95 at Ranger Joes online site.

First, the knife feels like a heavy duty blade. Zytel handle is large, firm and very strong with inserts that improve the grip. This knife feels like a $300 knive in your hand. The blad is anodized and is the "Tanto" style cut. It's heavy and it's a "Strong Mans" blade to get open. You'd better be a hard man to swing it open. It took me a blister and then a callous on the thumb, and now I have no problem getting it open.

It cuts aluminum cans, gatorade bottles in half with very little effort. You do have to tug and saw with this blade to cut a Coke can in two pieces. Amazingly it still cut standard letter head paper like a razor after cutting through aluminum and plastic and corugated cardboard and varying think plastic bags and types of grades of paper. It still cuts veggies like a top grade kitchen knife with combat related features.

If your not in the mood to part with $300 or $400 for Strider or Harsey folders then this is the only knife on the market for this type of price that I would carry into theater (combat)

You can find it here:

http://www.rangerjoes.com/bar-knife-...acturers_id=43
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Looks like a nice knife. Is the lockback design strong? I'm not very savvy on knives.

hso
    A well made lockback is very strong. Remember a folder is a convenient way to carry a knife all the time when you don't think you can carry a fixed blade. As such there are compromises that get made. So, if you want to use a knife like a sharpened pry bar get a fixed blade. If you'll keep in mind it's limitations a good lockback is plenty strong enough.

$40 buy-it-now on eBay presently.

I'll put it this way: If someone had loaned me the knife to cut open a tin can or cut 550 cord and then told me that I could have one for $129.95 I would not have hesitated to have paid that price.

For $43.95 I doubt anyone on this forum will be displeased with the purchase.

The lock back is secure. More secure than other knives in this price range. In fact, I believe it's as secure as my Striders and Harsey's.

They make it in Foliage Green, Desert Tan, and Black. They also have the same knife with a smooth point edge and a point edge with serations. Personally I like the "Tanto" style to this particular knife.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Thanks, I have been keeping an eye out for a every day carry. Something that won't break the bank, and is well made.

cj
    Thanks for the quick review! I've been eying these for a while after some great success with the Ka-Bar Dozier line (awesome $20 knives, but not as sturdy as the Mule!).

Links