In praise of a really cheap knife

This is a discussion on In praise of a really cheap knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been using a CRKT M16-10KZ for several months. It is sold at Wally World for less than $20. It has all the features ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have been using a CRKT M16-10KZ for several months. It is sold at Wally World for less than $20. It has all the features of an M16, but is made with cheap steel in China.

In spite of this, it takes and holds a good edge. I use my knives for things that no decent person would ever use a knife for, and it has survived. It is Tanto syle, and the thicker blade is great for unreasonable useage. I don't care that this style is less easily used as a stabbing weapon, it works too well for my usual heavy abuse.

Even after this use and abuse , it is still plenty sharp for SD. For the price, this knife is just too darn good to pass up.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The CRKT M16 or M21 is a very good series of knives, but they were ruined when the manufacturer decided to add the AutoLAWKS feature with the red lever. LAWKS was fine, it was optional locking and worked great.

If you like the CRKT at Wal*Mart then try a few of the Kershaws there too, I'm intrigued if the Wal*Mart Kershaws are any good.

I also have a Kershaw 1710 - another cheap made-in-china Wally World knife which performs like a much more expensive knife. I've had it so long that I don't remember how much I paid.

Re: the AutoLAWKS feature on the M16 - it took a little getting used to, but is not really a problem. It's not annoying enough to make me not like the knife.
    Last edited by obxned; May 26th, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I carried a full size M21 and M16 tanto for years, then recently I was bought a small M16 with the AutoLAWKS and hated it, then I noticed that CRKT were putting it on most of their folders, I only buy CRKT fixed blades until they stop.
    The AutoLAWKS is difficult to close one handed. That is enough to make me wait until they get enough complaints and withdraw the design.
    Other than that CRKT are great, good knives at great prices. I have lots of their stuff.

Looks like a decent quality knife, and for the price...well I cant resist picking one up.

i happen to have a kershaw leek and spydie native that i picked up at walmart....they both have performed well for me. plus, i didn't pay too much for them.

I guess I'm lost here, I have both, a CRKT M-16-13Z and a Kershaw spring assisted Blackout...both bought at a sporting good/gunshop....so what is the difference between mine and the ones from Wal Mart other than price? A kershaw is a kershaw, no? Are they just a cheaper model made with cheaper material?
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Can't tell you about Wal*Mart Kershaws but Wal*Mart carries CRKT knives made in China instead of Taiwan, the blade steel and finish is of a lesser quality too.

I've carried Kershaw's from Wal Mart and one I picked up at a gunshop, couldn't tell the difference between them.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

China and Steel

Alot of steel for folders is from China, but you'll find alot of them are AUS-8A. This is a rather decent steel with a fair amount of chromium to carbon blend. It will hold and edge and will sharpen proficiently with the proper sharpening.

I dont have a problem with it as long as it's AUS-8A.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I've bought a couple knives from Wal-Mart. I believe they're a cheaper line. The difference I've noticed is the steel is different. It's usually a lower quality, but it may look exactly like the more expensive one.

I noticed that at Big-5 too. The type of steel wasn't stamped on the blade & didn't say anywhere else. I'm suspect that it's not the more expensive model.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

hso
    0.02, could you identify the steel used in the WalMart CRKT knives for us?

Quote Originally Posted by hso View Post
    0.02, could you identify the steel used in the WalMart CRKT knives for us?
    Sorry no, I no longer have that knife.

I could be wrong that it was sufficiently different to warrant concern but the knife in general was a very poor cousin of my other M16s.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    FWIW, A year or so ago I decided to look over a Kershaw while the wife and I were at Wal-mart. I picked out couple to look at, that were in the boxes with a US flag on them and said "Made In USA".

What I found inside was a cheap chinese knife. No problem I thought. It was probably just in the wrong box. So I asked for an got a couple more, both with the tape still sealing the boxes. Both were cheap and cheasy gas station checkout counter $1 type knives, although one did say "Kershaw" crudely on the blade. Kershaw usually has a model number/date code or something on the blade as well. I emailed, and called Kershaw repeatedly about it. They never bothered to respond, so I have never bothered to purchase one of their products. They may make good knives, but if they can't be bothered to return a phone call telling them that counterfeits of their product are turning up at wally world, it doesn't bode well for their quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I have been using a CRKT M16-10KZ for several months. It is sold at Wally World for less than $20. It has all the features of an M16, but is made with cheap steel in China.
    I have this knife too.
    I also put my knives through hell with daily abuse.

This one performes great. The pivot screw gets loose once in a while, but you can retighten it with your thumb nail. You dont want to tighten it too much, or else the blade wont "flip" out smooth and easy.

The Auto Lawks is something I have learned to not even think about.
    I can still flip open the blade with one had quickly. You just have to push the LAWKS with your index finger and hit the back of the blade all in oone motion.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links