New knife

This is a discussion on New knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased the Boker Subcom. Is there a special technique to break in a new knife or is it just opening and closing the ...

Thread: New knife

New knife

I recently purchased the Boker Subcom. Is there a special technique to break in a new knife or is it just opening and closing the knife until it is smoother? Do you use some type of lubricant? Do you loosen the axle? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Well, if you want to smooth out its operation by opening it and closing it then you would do that by removing all traces of lubrication before repeatedly working the mechanism and then relubing.
    That is the best way to get the mating parts to contact polish themselves against each other.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The subcom gets better the more open/close it. It's a handy little knife. I use mine as a money clip.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I haven't perfected a fast single handed opening method for my Subcom.
    Instead I hold it in two hands and pull my hands apart fast to open it.
    That way it doesn't matter if it's stiff to open.
    I have the Subcom fixed blade too, that is a great blade that you might like.

I have a desert subcom with the combo blade. I use it as a money clip, so the blade is tip down in relation to the pocket/money clip.

I have a Wharcom that's blade tip up. When I draw it from my pants pocket, I apply slight outward pressure. The knife comes out partiall blade out, with a whip of my wrist, the blade's open. I have found both of mine quick to open single handed, especialy if get the blade partially out & flick the rest open.

The subcom fixed blade is nice. Instead, I've used my HAK on my keychain. If I need a blade fast, I just pull that out. I would quess it's similar to the subcom/fixed blade.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I was looking at one of those in a knife catalog last time I was at my parent's house...my Dad and I have a thing for pocket knives and such....thought it was a neat lil folder. If I hear good things about it, I might have to pick one up.

*ok, I just googled the knife...here is an intersting video of it, makes me think twice now...thought you guys might like to have a look....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrac4DKLXw
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

I have found both of mine quick to open single handed, especialy if get the blade partially out & flick the rest open.
    I need to work on that, presently it takes three wrist flicks to open. I will give the knife some TLC and see what improvement I can get.

My Sog Twitch XL EDC was buttery smooth and lightning fast from day one however.

I will say that I can not get it open witha wrist flick from closed. It has to be partially open.

The "unmentionable" named knife is an assisted opening knife, right? After alot of research, I think that's the knife I want for my EDC. I'm still using that Meyerco, believe it or not.
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post

The "unmentionable" named knife is an assisted opening knife, right? After alot of research, I think that's the knife I want for my EDC. I'm still using that Meyerco, believe it or not.
    Yes, it's assisted.
    That Meyerco Blackie Collins? I'm glad you like the knife so much, it's quirky but effective once you remember to draw it the correct way.

Links