Pocket clips

This is a discussion on Pocket clips within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a new knife in the 75 dollar range, that has a good pocket clip and if possible an assisted opener. I ...

Thread: Pocket clips

Pocket clips

I am looking for a new knife in the 75 dollar range, that has a good pocket clip and if possible an assisted opener. I have used a Gerber, A couple of the Kershaw assisted openers and I now use a Kershaw Vapor II. I have the same problem with all of them. the pocket clip wears out and if I lean back in a chair the knife slides right out. I have tried re-bending them but they just don't seem to stay for very long. Any ideas?

2. Remove Ads

I picked up a SOG Trident. It was a blemished knife from sog in Lynwood in Wa state. Really nice tiger striped knife.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    I picked up a SOG Trident. It was a blemished knife from sog in Lynwood in Wa state. Really nice tiger striped knife.
    The clip is very strong. You will be very happy with it.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

I carry a Kershaw Blur and I love it. I have managed to catch the clip a few times and bend it, but it is removeable so it is easy to take it off and bend back in place. Also, if you do manage to bend it beyond repair contact Kershaw's warranty department and they will be glad to send you a new one free of charge.

SOG flash II....

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    CRKT M16 series.

Possibly the stubbornest clip ever made....

I've had clips for years...you must be REALLY tough on your clips...mine have stayed firm...
    I'm sure Kershaw would send replacements...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Kershaw assisted...amazing & fast!
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Kershaw Blur
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I've had clips for years...you must be REALLY tough on your clips...mine have stayed firm...
    I'm sure Kershaw would send replacements...

ret
    Ken, we have more in common than just living in FL, then.
    I too have carried clip knives for years -- since back in '93, actually. My first one with a clip was a Spyderco Delica -- back when the clip was integral to the handle, as in molded plastic.

I never broke it, and I have never "worn out" a clip on any knife, and I carry them every day, always clipped.

To the original question, I would give up on "assisted openers". I really have never seen the point. All the Kershaw assisted openers I've seen are way thicker than I think a knife their size should be. The only Kershaw knife I have, the only one I like, is the Vapor II. In fact, it's what's clipped in my front right jeans pocket at this very minute. But it doesn't hold an edge well -- the steel, whatever one it is they use (like AUS6 or something?) is nowhere near as good as that of the typical Spyderco, and that's why I would recommend you get yourself an Endura with the Wave feature.

It's hard for me to imagine anyone wanting an assisted opener after getting used to a Wave opening. Waved knives are awesome!

I'm not really a fan of the assisted opening anymore either. Dropping a closed knife is a dicey affair because my Ken Onion Whirlwind usually pops open if I drop it (not often, but every once in a while it finds itself on the floor). The first day I had it, the point broke off when I dropped the closed knife on a tiled floor and it popped open. Took a while with the Lansky set getting a point back on it.
    Five hard years of use and this is the worst I have done to the clip:

It is still "tight", only the Parkerizing has worn off. I did have a problem with the screws loosening up every once in a while, but some LocTite blue took care of that problem for good.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I'm a big guy so if i sit in a chair with arms and it is a little tight, that tends to catch the clip, the Vapor II does not do it nearly as much as my whirlwind did, I think I will call kershaw and get a new clip. I am also going to look at the knives you guys have recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

To the original question, I would give up on "assisted openers". I really have never seen the point. All the Kershaw assisted openers I've seen are way thicker than I think a knife their size should be.
    Assisted openers are not that thick, at least not all of them.

Here's my SOG Twitch XL, it's thinner than most knives I have.

I don't 'need' assisted opening, but if it comes with the knife I will take it...
    Attached Images

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I just see assisted opening as a de-simplification of what should otherwise be quite simple.

And I also see it as something further that can malfunction.

I like to keep it simple, and I don't like the negative attention that is possible from having an assisted opening knife. How many LEOs might want to call it a "switchblade" -- whether they're right or wrong -- and give you legal hassles? My feeling is, why invite it and open up to that possibility? It's bad enough that some authorities will try their darnedest to "flick" open a one-hand-opening knife like a Spyderco Endura and then call it a prohibited "gravity knife." (Customs is known for this, according to people trying to get typical Spydercos and Benchmades, for example, sent to Canada). Just because they're wrong, and stretching the definition of "switchblade" when they call a Kershaw one, doesn't mean they won't take it from you.

Kershaw Ken Onion titanium finish-hey I'm crass
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Links