Horizontal belt carry.

Horizontal belt carry.

This is a discussion on Horizontal belt carry. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen these kinds of knives and sheaths in the past, and I was wondering if they actually have any practical value. I already ...

Thread: Horizontal belt carry.

Horizontal belt carry.

I have seen these kinds of knives and sheaths in the past, and I was wondering if they actually have any practical value. I already carry a pocket knife and a multitool but the idea of another purpose built defensive knife still appeals to me. Let me know if these work and or are practical.

I carry a knife in this manner and have found it to be an excellent choice for several reasons.
    1) Centerline carry is extremely fast as it requires a minimum of joint articulation compared to other methods (i.e. more "economy of motion").

2) Because of the placement of the tool at the front of the body, it's easier to defend in the event of an attempt by the BG to grab your weapon.

3) The placement of the tool allows for easy access with both hands unlike some of the other common locations for carrying weapons.

The only real downside is that if you carry in the manner that I do, you are restricted to close-front garments.

I personally carry a Goldsworthy "Shadowdancer", Other good choices for this type of carry are the ShivWorks "Clinch-Pick," the "Ryan Plan-B," SOG "Mini-Pentagon," or Cold Steel "Braveheart" or "Culloden"...really, any small fixed blade.

Here's a couple pics of my setup to give you an idea of what I'm using. As you'll see, I don't have the sheath set up perfectly horizontal, by allowing a slight "cant," you not only reduce printing but also reduce the need to "break the wrist" on the drawstroke. By keeping the wrist locked, you have a stronger grip and have the ability to instantly strike after the draw.
    Attached Images
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Do you know anyone who might make theses type of sheaths. If I have a knife and would like to carry this way?

http://www.stellarrigs.com/
    These guys should be able to help you.

Check out this thread on TPI to see some good ones from a guy named Dave Pyle (yes, you have to register but it only takes a couple of minutes). His contact info. is listed and there are pictures of a variety of knives with his sheaths (check the first two pages of the thread). I plan to order one from him in the near future as his work looks to be excellent.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thanks for the info.

Links