Question for Tourist

This is a discussion on Question for Tourist within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From what you can see of the edge on this knife, does this look like something that can be fixed? It looks sorta like a ...

Thread: Question for Tourist

DC Founder

Question for Tourist

From what you can see of the edge on this knife, does this look like something that can be fixed? It looks sorta like a really bad sharpening attempt, but the closeup of the blade looks like it might be gouged. It also looks like the edge may not be smmoth on the messed up side.

I had a Gerber Mark I bought in the military and lost it somewhere and want another one. I put $35 on this one on ebay and am now having second thoughts on whether the condition can be "corrected"....
    Attached Images
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I could probably get most of it out by 're-profiling' the edge so that my bevel polishes off the mistakes. Sometimes I get lucky and all of the mistakes are gone.

This is a +15 dollar job, you know someone in the trade, however. And freight both ways because that's a trade I'm not into.

You're pretty close to just calling it a loss and replacing the damaged knife with a new one.

I never do that because I can phutz all I want during the repair of my own knives, and letting a servicible knife hit the 'circular file' just abraides my sensibilities.

My gut says give it a try at repair. What's the worst that can happen? You just toss it away later, or just testing the waters of e-Bay.

VIP Member
    The great thing about the EdgePro is that it makes perfect edges. And I really like that polishing tape.

My Ka-Bar camp knife is seeing some good use during my weekend hiking trips. Recently, the edge hit some rock while hacking wood for a camp fire, taking a chip out and bending the edge a bit. A few strokes on the EdgePro fixed it up nicely.

I've also had to "replace" the tip on a Benchmade 800 after the previous owner apparently used it for a prybar.

That Mark I might be a challenge, but it'll be a good "test knife" for sharpening skills.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I love my Mark I. Have had it for over 25 years. It was a real pain to learn to sharpen, and like everyone else, I had to rework the point when the very tip broke off. I think you are right, that what you see is a botched sharpening job, but even if the blade is gouged, I think it can be repaired. The Mark I is still a great knife, and if you only spent $35 to get it, you can afford to spend a little on trying to rehabilitate a spoiled edge.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Betty is right, you'd be amazed at how you can fix a big chip. Your knife appears to have more of a cosmetic problem. The good thing is that when you fix the cosmetic aspect, the edge will be sharper.

DC Founder
    Yeah, the deal with the Mark I is, I lost the one I had (it may turn up one day) and I really liked that knife. The $30+ range is about where they are selling (used, but they don't make them anymore) and I know they are good knives. I guess I want one partially because I was always sentimental about the knife and partially just because it is one of those things that are pleasing to have and own. Weird, huh? I bet you guys all understand.

It would certainly be worth $15+, + freight to me. I was hoping to go to the gun show this weekend and see if I could find one but it looks like I am going to have to miss this one because of work.
    Bumper

Lead Moderator
    Anyone have the Mark II? That was the one with the longer (6.5 in) blade with the slight offset. Mine came with a chisel pointed sharpening steel in the sheath. I've had mine since the mid-60's (Now showing my age).
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Anyone have the Mark II? That was the one with the longer (6.5 in) blade with the slight offset. Mine came with a chisel pointed sharpening steel in the sheath. I've had mine since the mid-60's (Now showing my age).
    I've been trying to find one without the serrations, but have had no luck. All I've seen in the past couple of years are presentation boxes and those are pricey. I could kick myself for not getting one way back when. There is something special about the wasp-waist design of the Mark II. It's a beautiful thing.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

The only ones I've ever seen had serrations, and the handle bent a little from the centerline of the blade so it would 'hug' your waist line better.

However, I would now have to wear the rig backwards to hug my waist line.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    I've been trying to find one without the serrations, but have had no luck. All I've seen in the past couple of years are presentation boxes and those are pricey.
    I actually forgot that they did come with serrations. Mine is without, it's number 004246. Given the two leading zeros I guess they had plans to make a lot of them.

I also can't remember what kind of box mine came in. All I have now is the knife, sheath, and steel. Might have to drag out the camera when I get the chance and take a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    The only ones I've ever seen had serrations, and the handle bent a little from the centerline of the blade so it would 'hug' your waist line better.
    THe bend was what I meant by the offset, I think it was advertised as a 7 degree offset.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

DC Founder
    The kinife I was bidding on went a little higher than I was willing to pay for an "abused" knife so I put in a bid on a different in much better condition. One of these days I will get one.....
    Bumper

Links