Buck SBMF or SOG Trident or ?

This is a discussion on Buck SBMF or SOG Trident or ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, my Kershaw leek broke about a month ago, and I haven't sent it back yet. I like the Buck Strider SBMF, but it's 420 ...

Thread: Buck SBMF or SOG Trident or ?

Mo [OP]

So, my Kershaw leek broke about a month ago, and I haven't sent it back yet. I like the Buck Strider SBMF, but it's 420 stainless which seems like a lower quality steel than what you should get for a $60 knife. Anyone have any other suggestions for a medium/large folder for $50 to $75? I don't like the Griptillians, and I don't have easy access to Spydercos to try before I buy. I like the Kershaw Blur but I'm honestly hesitant to carry one after the 4-month lifespan of my leek.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I don't want a fixed blade, because Missouri law is gray about knives, and even a darker shade of gray about fixed blades. It needs to have a blade under 4", btw.

Any reviews/suggestions/ideas would be great! I'm carrying my Cold Steel Ti-Lite now, but it's not optimal since I carry a revolver in the front right pocket and the Ti-Lite is a Right Hand Only type knife. It actually sliced open my favorite pair of jeans the other day when it came open in my right hip pocket.

Well, my suggestion for a folder in your price range is a Spyderco Delica with the wave feature. The clip can be moved for tip up or down carry on either side, good sharp blade out of the box and opening it with the wave feature (after just a little bit of practice) is quick and easy. THe lock is also good and strong.

I've carried one for several months now and have been nothing but happy with it.

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=5710
    $55 before shipping from them (shipping wasn't much IIRC), also when you do decide on a knife, check their prices (I don't work for them), they are priced well and good to do business with.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

regarding Missouri knife laws, there's really not that much of a grey area...If you have your CCW (I assume you do since you said you carry a revolver in your pocket), you can carry ANY knife except for an automatic (a.k.a. switchblade) or a balisong/butterfly-knife. If you don't have your CCW you are limited to folders with blades 4" or less.
    I'd strongly recommend a fixed-blade if you're carrying it for SD use.

I'll second the recommendation for the Spyderco Delica or Endura with the wave. If you don't like those, I'd go with a Cold Steel Voyager or one of their other folders.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Mo [OP]
    Wow - that's news to me KT. Would you happen to have a link to more info on that? My CCW instructor never mentioned being able to carry a larger or fixed blade knife (though it was 2 years ago, maybe he just didn't have that info yet).

I'll check out the Spyderco suggestions as well, though I don't know of anyplace in central MO where I can go check one out before I buy. I can do that with most of the other factory knives.

ETA - Found a good site with at least one lawyer's opinion of the bill. He seems to think that you can carry basically whatever, so that's a good thing.

http://www.kljamisonlaw.com/updates.asp

I'll have to do some more thinking on this one!
    Last edited by Mo; June 2nd, 2007 at 08:18 PM.

Spend a few more dollars and get an Emerson Commander... OUTSTANDING knife...
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    He said the "S" word......
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    Wow - that's news to me KT. Would you happen to have a link to more info on that? My CCW instructor never mentioned being able to carry a larger or fixed blade knife (though it was 2 years ago, maybe he just didn't have that info yet).

I'll check out the Spyderco suggestions as well, though I don't know of anyplace in central MO where I can go check one out before I buy. I can do that with most of the other factory knives.

ETA - Found a good site with at least one lawyer's opinion of the bill. He seems to think that you can carry basically whatever, so that's a good thing.

http://www.kljamisonlaw.com/updates.asp

I'll have to do some more thinking on this one!
    If your instructor didn't mention it, IMO he needs to brush up on his legal knowledge. The language of our CCW statutes has not changed since it was put into effect.

Anyhoo...Here's a link to the chapter in the Missouri statutes that deals with weapons laws http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes...rs/chap571.htm

the following is the relevant portions with an explanation:

-----

This part is what you are subject to if you DO NOT have a CCW.

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or
    This is the legal definition of a "knife" as per the statute. As you can see, since "knives" are illegal, if you don't have a CCW you can't carry anything but "an ordinary pocketknife with no blade longer than 4 inches" which is not considered a knife by Missouri law.
    (10) "Knife" means any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;
    The definition for a "blackjack..." Basically, according to MO law, a Blackjack is any impact weapon. Once again, illegal if you don't have a CCW.
    (2) "Blackjack" means any instrument that is designed or adapted for the purpose of stunning or inflicting physical injury by striking a person, and which is readily capable of lethal use;
    This is the good part :

4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.
    (Subdivision 1 is the "unlawful use of a weapon" part I quoted above)

Since Subdivision 1 is the part that prohibits "knives" and "blackjacks" and it is also the part that does not apply to CCW holders, you can carry any knife (except a switchblade or butterfly knife...those are listed separately) and any impact weapon you darn well please.

Hope I was able to clear this up for you :)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Mo [OP]
    Sweet, thanks for taking the time to write it all out.

VIP Member
    I like & carry the Buck. I have a couple of versions of it. I also on occasion carry an Emerson Commander. The full size is a little bit big.....you may consider the Mini Commander. (The Kydex sheath is for the Emerson, it has a slot in it for using the WAVE feature.)
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Strider has come under some pretty serious fire for misrepresenting his military experience and background. There was a thread on here about it not too long ago - a search would probably show it.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I've carried a Spyderco for a few years and I currently carry a Kershaw Blackout with the spring assist...holds a good edge and the clip stays in place. I've had it goin on 3 yrs without any complaints. OH, and I also sometimes carry a CRKT M16-13Z. That one usually stays in my Maxpedition pack.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

I recently got a CRKT My Tighe with the Outburst assisted opening. It has turned out to be simply awsome. Cost? $55.00.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Links