Defensive Carry banner

Question for Ohio people

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  jeep45238 
#1 ·
Anyone know the law for a concealed knife. Tactical folder or beltknife? Columbus in paticular.

#2 ·
Ohio makes no mention of knives other than switchblades, autoknives etc. In the CCW law (2923.12) it does mention deadly weapons, here is what it says;

“Deadly weapon” means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.

What this means is, the knife needs to be a "tool" and not a weapon.

*** legal advice you get on the internet is worth what you pay for it, consult a lawyer if you do not understand the ORC as it is written.***

#4 ·
SIXTO is right, there is only a mention of "Deadly weapons" being illegal.

However if you look at the case law, we can learn what to expect in ohio. Balisongs for instance, are illegal for concealed carry because there is a strong precedent for balisongs being defined as a deadly weapon.
Most fixed knives are considered deadly weapons, there are some cases where this was not true. But the precedent is strong enough I wouldn't carry one concealed.
Folders...no explicit restrictions. If you're going to carry concealed make it a small blade with a non aggressive name, and intended purpose. For instance, the "reality based blade" would be the exact opposite knife that you want to carry concealed. The less aggressive it seems, the better chances you have. And if you get pulled over, that's a knife for fishing or for widdling or for open boxes. If it's for self defense, it's your ass.

Folding knives, fixed knives, double bladed knives, and balisongs should be completely legal for open carry.

#5 ·
Very Grey in Ohio.

I carry my Spyderco Delica about everywhere, and aside from crazy drunks at the bar never really had anyone say anything about it. A folder about 3 inches in length should be fine for you, although I am not a lawyer, that is just my experience.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering because a lot of people seem to carry. Right now I carry a Schrade Tactical. About a 3.5" blade. It has a dagger style blade. I think I'm getting the Ka Bar mule that was discussed here a while back. It could pass as more of a "tool" type knife.

#7 ·
Blade length really doeant have much to do with anything other than perception. I.E., it is much easier for you to make your case that your knife is a tool if its a 1" blade than if you are carrying a 7" butcher knife.
Key point is to remember to always say its a tool if you are ever asked about it. Everybody has to open boxes from time to time...

#8 ·
It's important to remember here that perception has to do with everything in this kind of law. I would strongly recommend not carrying that blade.

Keep in mind with the mule, that when it is sold it is described as a fighter/utility. A lawyer could EASILY make the case that it's a knife designed as a weapon just because of that. And in ohio it would look like they'd win.

#11 ·
They need to update those codes Anubis, a lot of their weapon's stuff is no longer valid due to pre-emption, thanks for the link though.

Just an afterthought I had for the OP. My folding knife is a tool, I use it at work to cut boxes and such. As such it is readily at hand, clipped onto my pocket in what could be considered plain view (i.e not concealed completely). Now, with a lot of pocket knives you would probably be ok with them in your pocket, or clipped, or in a belt case. (Keep in mind IANAL, and this is just a random thought).

A concealed fixed blade, on the belt or in a boot or somewhere, is going to be a much tougher sell as far as it being a tool, because it isn't really readily accessable, like a tool would be. Just a thought.

#13 ·
That is my belief. I take my Spyderco clipped onto my waistband when I run, will I be cutting boxes, no. However, if I get mugged on the trail/streets and defend myself I don't think it will cause too much of a problem.

My one encounter with LE while carrying I had a knife too, funny thing was that it never even came up and he probably saw it clipped to my pocket. Of course I informed him I was carrying.

Especially with a CHL holder informing, I think that they aren't gonna be to concerned about a folder in the pocket. Although I have been wrong before.

#15 ·
I carry my old work knife. Gerber Air Ranger, 2.5" blade I think (maybe 3").

That black paint is pretty eaten up, clips has it's wear on it, there's no denying that it's a tool by looking at it.

I REALLY do need to sharpen it though, I put one heck of a shallow angle on it to keep the dge at work, and need to narrow it now that I'm not working there any more.

But, it's still a tool. Just like my guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.