Fixed Blades in Texas

This is a discussion on Fixed Blades in Texas within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Aware that Texas doesn't trust me to carry a spear, a sword, or a knife over 5.5 inches. An AR-15, no problem. A real bright ...

Thread: Fixed Blades in Texas

Fixed Blades in Texas

Aware that Texas doesn't trust me to carry a spear, a sword, or a knife over 5.5 inches. An AR-15, no problem. A real bright guy must've formulated knife laws here.

Could you carry one of those shorty Ka-Bar fixed blades without violating the law? It's of legal length, not a dagger - just not sure whether it would fall under that blasted 'Bowie Knife' regulation or no.

No need to recommend any folding knives... I've got two or three around here that would work - I just prefer fixed-blades.

2. Remove Ads

First, keep in mind that texas' 5 1/2 limit is for the entire blade, not just the sharpened edge.

Kabar has many fixed knives under 5.5 inches, could you post a link?

hso
    Their Bowie laws are from way back when the "Bowie" was the saturday night special and EBR of the time. Used for both dueling and bar fights the Bowie and Arkansas Toothpick and daggers got painted as the weapon of choice for ner-do-wells.

After doing some quick research I've found it common knowledge that Kabar knives are almost entirely based on the classic bowie design.

That fact very well could be the fact that makes that knife essentially illegal. But the law is so damn ambiguous....it has no definition of a bowie knife what so ever...I official position is not to worry about it. the law dosn't mention "bowie based desgined knives", just "bowie knives." However if you meet a cop and he says "that's illegal" don't carry it anymore.

Does Texas limit the whole knife to 5.5"?

If so you might want to look at something like the Boker Subcom Fixed. I have one and it's a fine knife.

Here's a list of fixed blades from an online store, plenty to think about...

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_type/straight.html

Sponsor
    HSO,

I've got pictures here somewhere of myself and a group of others at the "Dueling Oaks", now located in a park in New Orleans, while attending a Riddle of Steel with Jimmy Keating.

The long blade laws in those states like Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas are directly related to the times you mention when men settled their differences with the blades. At the dueling oaks, up to 50 duels a day took place in the areas glory days and it was quite well known that the ground around them ran red with blood from the amount of honor sustained and lost there.

I hear that the last remaining Oak has fallen due to severe weather now, there was only one left when I was there in 96. You could access the oak and touch a piece of real Americana history then.

Your mention of the history of the blades brought back those days of training and the Oaks. The times eventually dictated the laws enacted to stop the blood baths that occured in the past and the laws that are still on the books in those states. Thing is, a 5.5 length of steel, even if the sharpened area is less with a choil, etc is more than enough to dispatch your enemies quite efficiently.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; June 5th, 2007 at 11:53 AM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Links