Product Review: Cold Steel Cane

Product Review: Cold Steel Cane

This is a discussion on Product Review: Cold Steel Cane within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having a bum ankle, and planning a trip with a lot of walking required, I decided to acquire a Cold Steel cane based on learned ...

Thread: Product Review: Cold Steel Cane

Thumbs up Product Review: Cold Steel Cane

Having a bum ankle, and planning a trip with a lot of walking required, I decided to acquire a Cold Steel cane based on learned advice provided here at DCC. I selected the Cold Steel "City Stick" with a stainless steel head, and found it available for about fifty percent of MSRP.

The cane is well balanced. The SS head is very heavy. The threads are very tight and well machined. It appears to be cable of crushing the skulls of any misbehaving mastodons that might bother my sweet young bride.

I changed out the small hard rubber ferrule at the tip with a softer and larger diameter rubber tip. The original was hard and very slippery on certain slicker surfaces. The new tip, acquired at a medical supply house for a whopping $.50 was more stable, less slippery, and fits my image as a doddering old fool.

All in all, a great addition! Thanks for the ideas, folks! You know who you are.

Pics to follow if I can figure out the photo deal. LOL
    Attached Images

Nice covert piece isn't it?

Probably illegal in Britain to have an Assault Cane...

Assistant Administrator
    I got myself one of the Cold Steel wooden deals to take along to Chicago early April - it did need a good rubber tip (still does) but - for the short time it was well worth having along.

It will come into its own again I am sure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I got one of their African Walking Sticks, and I really like it.
    Not sure how the length measures up to your cane, and it doesn't have the classiness of the steel pommel, but it's still cool. And like your cane, it needed (needed) a rubber tip from a medical store (actually, got mine at walmart) because the polypropylene is far too hard and slippery on just about any floor surface.

I like the way the thing feels, a LOT!

VIP Member
    Now this is good timing. I might have to take an out of the country trip soon to a place that is very antigun and just yesterday I was thinking about what to take for self defense. The cane was a sure thing on my list but I also want to take a couple of other items. Sprays are non viable and a knife I might be able to sneak in the luggage as a gift for a friend but I am still want a couple of more options. But this cane review just hit the spot! (pun intended)
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Wink

My destination had a little to do with this........<sarcasm>, but the ankle injury is the true motive.

Sponsor
    Rock and Glock,

A buddy of mine and I got those walking stick as gifts along with some "Masters of Defense" folding knives for attending the week long event at Estes Park, in Colorado, with Mike Janich three years ago.

Though I like the stick, I prefer my two Canemasters cane [ and the instructors cane over the trainer in Walnut ] for all around work if defense comes into play with either. The sticks SS head is very heavy making it unwieldy/somewhat unbalanced using it two handed and is a little on the thin side where circumfernce is concerned for me [ but thats a subjective opinion and doesn't reflect the strength of the stick which I believe is more than adequate ]. I also like having the crook available to use on the cane as well.

They're a comfort to have when out and about though, and can be used to good effect if need be with just a few moves which don't take that long to learn.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Joo Bang Lee once wrote a small but excellent treatise on Hwarangdo cane fighting. Absolutely amazing the things you can do with a cane with a crook or even a straight cane.

Teddy Roosevelt was a lover of cane fencing and practiced regularly, it was once commonly practiced by many.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think the walking stick with the ss head might be a problem to get onto an airplane (At least, if you have it with you on the flight).

Personally, I have the African walking stick made out of polypropylene (Which I believe my favorite baton was made out of). Put on a rubber end piece & you're good to go.

A lady even complimented me about it & wanted to get one for her Dad. I think I paid just under $30 incl. shipping from Knivesplus.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Cockedandlocked01, please confirm: you have actual, recent, post-9/11/01 experience taking an African Walking Stick on an airliner?

I'm interested in knowing that it gets treated as a "cane" and is not a cause to get hassled by TSA or the airline.

Thanks!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Correct. I talked to Fed_wif_a_sig about it & then bought one. In fact, they treat you like a handicapped person & you get to go to the front of the line.

I have a nasty scar on my heel & had back surgery relatively recently, so I still limp. I'm not that old, but no one questioned it or me.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Correct. I talked to Fed_wif_a_sig about it & then bought one. In fact, they treat you like a handicapped person & you get to go to the front of the line.
    Oh boy.....I may have blown it. My wife will not like that.

I have a cane my brother made for me,the shaft is 25,000 lb tensile fiberglass,with an 8 ball glued and pinned to the top.I have taken it on several flights with no problems.TSA people have fits at the xray machine and they try to pull the 8 ball off,but no luck.Kinda funny watching them though.

Links