Gerber popularity?

This is a discussion on Gerber popularity? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't seem to find a lot of the name "Gerber" mentioned; I've been keeping Gerber blades on me since I got my first as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerber popularity?

Gerber popularity?

I don't seem to find a lot of the name "Gerber" mentioned; I've been keeping Gerber blades on me since I got my first as a present when I was 16 or so. My favorite was an old AR 3.0 BBS, before I lost it during a camping trip; the one I purchased to replace it isn't nearly as smooth opening no matter how much I work it.

My current "carry" is a Gerber Paraframe, which I have in both serrated and fine edge, and they're the smoothest, fastest opening folding knives in the family (a family with lots of knives, I should add). The Paraframes are also very slim, so they're easier to conceal, I think, than most folding knives I've toyed with. My S&W ExtremeOps folder is smooth, but not as intuitive to hold or as fast to open, and my Ka-Bar MULE folder is great but has no clips to keep it anywhere but in a pouch or loose in a pocket and isn't a one-handed knife.

I find my Gerber knives to be perfect as a concealed, one-handed carrying companion, and often have a couple on me.

So what do you guys think of Gerber folders? Not meant for the defensive roll or good to go?

-B

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I still have an old Gerber lockback folder w/o a clip. It's a great small knife. But I think Gerber's quality of blade steel has fallen off.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I have one of the last USA made Gerbers - the E-Z-Out...I love it! I carry it EVERY SINGLE DAY just like I have for the last 3 years. There are three things I ALWAYS have on me - the Gerber, my wallet and my SureFire E2e.

I have the EZ-out also, made in U.S.A. But when I look at pics of new Gerbers, it looks like the current Gerber Magnum LST Jr. serrated.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I have the EZ-out also, made in U.S.A. But when I look at pics of new Gerbers, it looks like the current Gerber Magnum LST Jr. serrated.
    Is it still made in USA? Are ANY Gerber's made in USA?

Mine is, but it's several yrs. old. That was my point, the name of my knife's stamped onto the blade says, "EZ out." But when I look at new Gerbers, mine looks exactly like the magnum LST Jr.
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    I carry a Gerber multitool EVERYWHERE I go!

I'm not a big fan of their folders. They make good knives, I use one for skinning deer, but for an everyday carry knife I've looked elsewhere.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I like mine because it kinda remind me of my Glocks. It's easy to deploy, it's tuff as nails and it works every time I need it to.

I love Gerbers! Still have my '64 Gerber slim, canted-blade fighting knife with blood handle and leather sheath with a rawhide tie down that I bought back then and carried for a long time. I also have two other Gerbers I bought about 20 years ago or so and which I've carried in Blackie Collins upside down shoulder rigs while on assignments, and nice rigs they are. One I gave away to an old SAS friend, but I've still got the other. I hasten to add that discretion remains the better part of valor, and should the need arise, I would rely on my .45 - don't want to get up close and personal anymore.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Only gripe I have about my Gerber:

CHinese steel.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

My Paraframes are all made in the US, I believe, and all three are a few years old. I see no markings to indicate otherwise. Anything specific I could look for?

Good to see there are some Gerber users though. Just seemed a bit rare is all, amidst all the other "tactical knives" I can't find one that does what my plain ol' folder does for a heck of a lot less. $20-$40 for a nice knife is always a steal, in my opinion. ;)

-B

Scratch the China mark.....it's Taiwan. Stamped on the blade at the tang by the thumb stud.

It'll hold a sharp ass edge for a little bit, but not after a ton of abuse.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Lead Moderator
    I have a few Gerbers. My favorite by far is my old LST Magnum. It works great for skinning and processing deer.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    One of my very first knives was a Gerber EZ-Out, the one with the half-serrated blade. It was brand new and I cut a piece of small diameter rope with it, and a couple of the serrations snapped off. I wasn't very happy about that.

I still wouldn't mind an Applegate-Fairbairn, though, just because.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    I have the Gerber mini covert applegate-fairbairn . Seems to work decent.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links