New knife - Kershaw Needs Work

This is a discussion on New knife - Kershaw Needs Work within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another knife in my quest to find the perfect work knife, I purchased this one as it has a few features that are unique at ...

Thread: New knife - Kershaw Needs Work

Another knife in my quest to find the perfect work knife, I purchased this one as it has a few features that are unique at the price range.
    It only cost $32, yet it has quality assisted opening and a straight blade edge design usually seen on higher end knives. Not sure what to call the blade shape but it is like a modified sheepfoot.
    They obviously saved money on the handle, it's not a bad design for retention purposes but feels light and possibly brittle - time will tell if that is the case. Also due to the shape of the handle at the end my fourth finger barely makes it onto the knife, it does offer a good grip but is just a bit short for my big hand. The back of the blade offers two points to place the thumb, at the pivot and further forward on the blade itself.
    All in all it is worth the money, the Sandvik 13C26 blade, the 'Speedsafe' assisted opening and the fact it is Made In USA are worth the price.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    So, you finally got it. It looks good. The blade looks like a modified wharncliff, doesn't it?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    So, you finally got it. It looks good. The blade looks like a modified wharncliff, doesn't it?
    I guess it is closer to a Wharncliff, I used the sheepfoot term as I know more people are aware of that.

It is a winner at that price, I will start carrying it and see how it fares with my work demands. I don't expect any failures.

I picked one of these up in a store a while back and asked the sales person why they were selling a knife that says needs work. He scratched his head and went off to find out. He came back saying that was the name of the knife. It really was funny. We both got a good laugh out of it. Actually, I thought it was a pretty nice and usable knife. The blade shape should make it an awesome work knife! I am a die hard Spyderco fan, but I liked the knife!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That knife looks pretty cool, and I like a Wharncliffe blade okay. Sometimes a little tricky to sharpen neatly. Not as easy as a convex geometry.

I wish that more Kershaws were available without the Speedsafe assisted opening function. I simply don't need it, and moreover I don't like it.

What does the grip of that knife feel like? What's the material. It looks almost like rubber or kraton. But you say it's hard plastic?

VIP Member
    I really like the knife and anything by Kershaw. For your bigger hands try looking at a Leek. About 8 dollars more on EBay.

I Agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    I really like the knife and anything by Kershaw. For your bigger hands try looking at a Leek. About 8 dollars more on EBay.
    I have two of the Leeks...best knife I've ever had...so far, that is...serves all my knife needs!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

What does the grip of that knife feel like? What's the material. It looks almost like rubber or kraton. But you say it's hard plastic?
    I thought it would be rubbery, it isn't. It is very grippy but hard plastic. If you know the zytel that CRKT uses on some of the M16s, it's like that.

Not bad but not best.

My favorite CRKT handles are the aluminum ones. I have a full size M16 and M21 that used to be work knives, they only got demoted to cabinet duty as I am on a personal quest to find the holy grail of work knives...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Have you tried the Kershaw Vapor II? It's pretty hefty. It's the only Kershaw that I have in my "EDC rotation." I really don't care for Speedsafe. Did I mention that? Oh, and I also don't like the "reverse" scalloped serrations that Kershaw uses on some knives. They seem ill-conceived. The rounded part is outside doing the cutting, and the grooves between the serrations are tight angles -- how in the world are you supposed to sharpen that?!

I have the Kershaw Blur. It too is an assisted opening. It is my daily carry and has no serrations.

Joe

Used the knife today, just general construction cutting etc.
    I found that it does actually fit my hand when I'm using it, maybe I was overthinking when I was trying it out... plus the straight edge/wharncliff design is IMO preferable for my sort of work, it cuts but also scrapes stuff.

I'm hard on my knives, this one might be a good one.

I searched a long time for a good knife and have the same drawer full of knives you all do (including CRKT, Buck, Schrade, etc.). I was in the market for a Benchmade Stryker auto with tanto and serrations, but found the Kershaw Blur (Black, Serrated, Tanto) and assisted opening. The scales are rough with a great grip and very slim and that makes it easy to pocket carry. It has everything - the perfect knife. I know a lot of people don't like the tanto tip, but its my knife and I like the angle for opening things.

JIM
    Wildlife Biologist & Author of "Deer of the Southwest"
    http://www.deernut.com

Links