Betty's favorite carry folder

This is a discussion on Betty's favorite carry folder within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Betty, I need the help of a knowledgeable female knife wielder. I scored a major victory in the last few weeks. I talked my wife ...

Thread: Betty's favorite carry folder

Betty, I need the help of a knowledgeable female knife wielder.

I scored a major victory in the last few weeks. I talked my wife into taking Mike Janich's Martial Blade Concepts Levels one and two when I sponsor the class in Amarillo.

Well, now here's the background. She's decided that she would like to carry a small locking folder. She's been looking at some of my folders but hasn't found one that she really likes yet. One of the main concerns revolves around finger strength with regards to unlocking the knife. Many spine-lock folders require her to apply too much force with her small slender fingers on the unlocking lever (she's a small, slender, lean young woman with small fingers to match). Also, she wants one that opens fast, smooth, and easily.

So, Betty do you have the same shopping criteria? If so, what folders have you found that you like best.

Thanks

Chuck
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

VIP Member
    Hi Pyrolyzer,
    Yes, I prefer knives that open fast and smoothly with one hand. Have her check out any of the Benchmade and Spyderco knives. Spyderco has the round opening hole that makes opening very easy, and Benchmade has a nice selection of knives with thumb studs, wheels and holes also. If you're working on a tighter budget, CRK&T has some decent blades, like the M16 line.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    On some Spyderco knives, like my Li'l Temperance, there is a lock on the spine that releases the blade simply by pushing the lock to the side. As Betty said, these types of knives with the large hole on the blade swing open very easily.

Further, they smooth up with time.

For a smallish knife, I like the Spyderco Scorpius. At under 3 inches it is still an effective defense blade and is especially useful for the Pikal grip. These days, I am carrying a black bladed Spyderco Military. It is one of the bigger Spydercos, but not the biggest one. I do find it easy to draw and pop open, somewhat because of the large Spyderhole and long blade.

For a class, and for defensive use, it is a great folder if your local laws permit carrying of it.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    LK,

Laws, good catch.

I think sometimes we are so involved with addressing issues of the knife we forget that the writer has to actually live with the knife in reality. My area is pretty open. Yesterday I met a home builder with a automatic MOD CQD on his belt sheath, and he was using it like a Buck 110.

I asked him about his choice, and he casually said, "Is that still illegal?" I sharpened the knife, he slid it into his sheath and went off to buy plywood.

Lead Moderator
    My 2 cents. MY GF uses SOG and Kershaw knives. Benchmade also makes a quality knife. I personally remommend a assisted opener knife such as my Kershaw Blur. (if legal in your state) It opens faster than some switchblades. also ,if the assist open spring fails it should still open maunually.

I use an emerson CQB myself,

It's light and fast opening. the clip is easy access for belt or a pocket. the 4.5 inch blade makes for very easy carry and deployment.

Sponsored Links