Too sharp?

This is a discussion on Too sharp? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why does it seem that handguns have their frames, etc. "melted" or get a "carry bevel" treatment, yet modern folding knives have such sharp pocket ...

Thread: Too sharp?

Too sharp?

Why does it seem that handguns have their frames, etc. "melted" or get a "carry bevel" treatment, yet modern folding knives have such sharp pocket clip edges or the scales and liners have ninety degree edges?

Remember the Buck 110? It is so comfortable to bear down on while cutting. The more modern "tactical" knives will really make sore spots when doing any prolonged cutting.

Does anyone else find it ironic that crisp corners and edges are shied away fron on guns, yet the opposite is now in vogue with knives?

john

2. Remove Ads

Depends what you buy, I have no knives with handles that cause any sort of distress to my hands, I buy good knives that I research a while before purchase.

You know, I have noticed the same thing.

My favorite knife for carrying is a no name cheapie that flips open easily, is rugged, and sharp as all get out. It clips to my pocket and is always with me.

Sometimes the best knives are like the best guns, they don't have to be the expensive ones.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    My favorite knife is my Benchmade AFCK that I bought in '99. All curves and rounded edges. The only handle part that is remotely sharp ("crisp" would be better) is the thumb rest at the back of the spine.

I have seen some of the new ones with sharp corners. I started thinking a lot of them have to be for show and not for anyone planning on serious use as a knife.

All of my knives, guns, and animals have jobs to do and "sit on a shelf and look pretty" isn't it. But that's just my practical side.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Why does it seem that handguns have their frames, etc. "melted" or get a "carry bevel" treatment, yet modern folding knives have such sharp pocket clip edges or the scales and liners have ninety degree edges?

Remember the Buck 110? It is so comfortable to bear down on while cutting. The more modern "tactical" knives will really make sore spots when doing any prolonged cutting.

Does anyone else find it ironic that crisp corners and edges are shied away fron on guns, yet the opposite is now in vogue with knives?

john
    I can't say that it bothers me to have knives that don't have rounded corners, because I have never done what you called "prolonged cutting."

Most of my knives are Spydercos and Benchmades. I wouldn't say that the corners and edges of the handles are nasty or rough or hard to deal with, though. In fact, you won't find a knife with a more comfy handle than the Spyderco Bill Moran Featherweight.

I have a Kershaw Vapor II that is nicely softened, actually. It's the only Kershaw I like enough to have, but that's mostly because of the absence of assisted opening, not the softened edges.

Do you really have a problem with the G10 handles on, say, the Military or Paramilitary? Is the Dodo not comfortable enough for prolonged cutting?

Lead Moderator
    My Kershaw Blur has rounded edges on the handle. The sandpaper type grip and pocket clip seem to tear up my pants a bit.
    Prolonged cutting? Mine is for defense , not prolonged cutting. My hunting knives seem to have decent handles.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My Kershaw Leek's have smooth edges, but I still do not use them for prolonged cutting...I have larger fixed blades for those duties! I do appreciate the 'one-handed' assisted opening...

Stay armed...stay sharp...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for all the replies. I tend to use folding knives for cutting cardboard, trimming the occasional wood wedge when remodeling, cooking, etc. The more expensive knives seem to do these chores better than most. Usually they have better steel, grind angles and thinner kerf. Sometimes the handles just seem to crisp.

Box cutters are for cardboard, best to save good blades for anything other than cardboard unless you're addicted to sharpening.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Good point. If you go to a big hardware store, you can find those "superknives" -- boxcutters with substantial handles and replaceable blades (the ones shaped like trapezoids). Inexpensive beaters. No reason on earth to have to subject a $60-$125 Spyderco to that kind of rigor. Sure the Spyderco can do it, but there is no Spyderco with such a thin blade as a RAZOR knife like those of which I speak.

I carry a Kershaw "blackout" Leek that I use to cut packing tape (I use the backside of the tip).

Since we are not "allowed" to carry a knife w/3"+ blade I have had to say I use it to open boxes-even showing the tape residue on the tip.

Combine that with "lo-crime" mags and no wonder the AG has nothing better to do...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Links