Woodmanspal

Woodmanspal

This is a discussion on Woodmanspal within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any experience with this? woodmanspal http://www.woodmanspal.com/ Care to share? Mike...

Thread: Woodmanspal

Woodmanspal

Anyone have any experience with this?

woodmanspal

http://www.woodmanspal.com/

Care to share?

Mike

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'm curious about it, too. However, I would guess that a machete would be just as good & less expensive.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Too bad I couldn't legally carry that strapped to my hip

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    They're perennially advertised in all the gun and knife magazines, aren't they?

I don't quite get it. Looks like a strange, unwieldy shape. The sharpened section does not extend all the way to the tip, and I wonder how many swings would result in a non-cut. And how does one use that sharpened hook on the back side? If you need to reverse the grip to swing that, it doesn't look like the handle is friendly toward holding it that way. And what's with the little notch on the back? Doesn't look sharpened, so what's its purpose?

I'd prefer a good machete, with a sawtoothed back, like the one I have by Ontario Knife Company.

I think I read somewhere that veterans make the Woodsman's Pal. Is that true exclusively? Are they all made by veterans?

The hook is for roots. It is quite effective, more so than a machette.
    There are folks who sharpen these to the end but the manufacturer claims that so many of the users of this tool are cutting into dirt that the last couple inches become too dull to be of use anyway.
    They do swing well, like a good machette. Not sure about the value of the short one that they make though.
    I'd like to hear from anyone who was issued one of these....
    Anyone?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I got a chuckle from the thread title, where it says "Woodmanspal" intead of "Woodsman's Pal." The way it's written, it seems like it could be the buddy of the principal from "Welcome Back, Kotter"!

My son-in-law purchased one some time ago. We own a farm together and are always fighting wild blackberry vines. The tool comes with a good set of directions as to how to best use it. Following the directions I found it to be excellent for the purpose of dealing with the pesky berry vines - much more effective than just a machete FWIW
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I've got the older model with stacked leather handle and handguard (circa 1988). I used it mostly to chop wood and branches for the fire while night fishing. The handle loosened up fairly early on (though the new handle would avoid that problem) the edge lasts about as long as you'd expect from a cheap machete. I personally found it uncomfortable to use for very long, probably due to the handguard though. I started carrying a small ax instead and got much more use from that. I think my WP is still out in my Mom's tool shed somewhere.
    Jack

I've handled one in my favorite store here a few times, but haven't bought one yet. I could use it around the property quite nicely. It seems to be very well balanced.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Sponsored Links