Double edged blades legal in TN?

This is a discussion on Double edged blades legal in TN? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of getting a double edged dagger to add to my carry options. The knife I am looking at is a small 3.5" blade, ...

Thread: Double edged blades legal in TN?

Double edged blades legal in TN?

I'm thinking of getting a double edged dagger to add to my carry options. The knife I am looking at is a small 3.5" blade, serrated one side and plain the other.

My problem is that I have read and reread TN code and all I can find is reference to a 4" blade or less for carry purposes.
    No mention of double edged blades.

Either it is legal or the information I read is outdated/incomplete.

I know we have a few TN members, anyone able to help clarify this for me?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    The code prohibits the possession of a dagger on school grounds - that's the only thing I can see that would be typically double edged, and the only reference to it. IANAL, but IMO you're good to go.

Thanks for reading that with me, I get bogged down reading code...

I'll call the PD or DoS tomorrow and see what they say.

This is correct, daggers, and really almost any other knife is legal if it under 4 inches.

But as I have to say whenever legality is brought into question: The law does not look favorably on self defense weapons of any kind. Basicly, if you are carrying a knife for the sole purpose of hurting someone it is illegal. There is very little chance you will be actually charged with anything, but it's something to keep in mind when buying knives: Don't buy knifes that have scary names or look like they are man killers. The best self defense weapon is one that you can use within the limit of the law, one with a civilian purpose and manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffy View Post
    Don't buy knifes that have scary names or look like they are man killers. The best self defense weapon is one that you can use within the limit of the law, one with a civilian purpose and manner.
    So are you saying I shouldn't get the 18" Fully Serrated 'Psycho Rambo MAX' Brain-Stabber with full-auto taser function?

J/K...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Forgive him, he's from PRMA. Ted Kennedy has put something in the water there.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...spx?model=2550
    I like this...an auto makes sense for one handed opening. If you live in one of the few "Peoples Republics" in the country like MA or MD or CA or NY/NJ then I'd get a Spyderco DELICA model with the combo edge.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    A double edge can and will be seen as a " dagger " by LE IF they are looking for a charge . I have went to single edge only since my knives are more tools than weapons and i have found i can actually do more with a dull side to brace with over the years . That being said i do have a couple of Boker automatic kinves ( a switchblade with a blade style that you could skin an elk with if needed ) that i use on the farm, When i go to town its a spyderco or a variant of the m16 by CRKT in my pocket tho , just to do my part on ending confusion about legality Since My states laws on possession of auto kinves is somewhat murky about when they are allowed and when prohibited . Fortunatly we really dont have a " dagger " statute as such , but a bali song style is considered an auto knife .

Edited to add : I fully realize that Colorado statutes have nothing to do with the question , i simply posted to more or less point out that knife laws are if anything more nonsensical than gun laws ( i believe this to be true nationwide ) and barring an outright prohibition of a design , it may well be ok for some folks , and not for others , or may be ok for all if they are doing an activity that requires a feature ( such as a double edge , or self opening ) , but a felony if they are not . When off the farm i choose to error on the side of caution since the m16 especially is almost as fast if not faster to " flick " and by statute fine .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Yeah, each state's different. I thought most states don't allow automatics, but A/Os are so close, you really don't need an auto.

Double edged knives are generally considered daggars, so if that's in your state's laws, there could be a problem.

The other problem w/knife laws is that municipalities can have their own city ordinances.

Typically, A/Os are allowed pretty much everywhere. For whatever reason, butterfly type knives, gravity knives, & automatics/switchblades are frowned upon (Particularly by LE). You're "usually" safe w/4" or less blade folders, but a 3" blade folder is pretty much an anywhere knife.

There are exceptions, but as I said, cities & counties can add their own laws & they're defenitely more restrictive to the state/federal laws.

Just something to think about.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

hey pete, i live in east tn, away from the bigger cities and i carry a microtech ultratech auto. all the cops i know said they don't mind because when you carry a firearm they generally dont worry about what kind of knife you have.
    it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Forgive him, he's from PRMA. Ted Kennedy has put something in the water there.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
    Where do you think DD came from :D

Also, it's true that Ted Kennedy did put something into the water. But that was in Chappy and shouldn't effect the water supply as a whole.

I AM A TERRIBLE PERSON.

hso
    I don't see anything in 39-17-13 that specifically prohibits carrying a double edged knife. The prohibition against "going armed" may be applied to you for carrying a "dagger" if you can not convince the law enforcement authorities that you wanted a knife with two edges so you wouldn't have to stop to sharpen it if one edge became dull (AG Russel is supposed to have come up with this to rationalize the Sting as a utility knife.)

Carrying a switchblade without being "authorized" to do so can be problematic if you are searched or arrested by a LEO.

Links