S&W knives? - Page 2

S&W knives?

This is a discussion on S&W knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I one I had was a pretty decent knife, & only cost me $20 on sale at Big-5. However, I've checked out other S&W knives ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W knives?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I one I had was a pretty decent knife, & only cost me $20 on sale at Big-5. However, I've checked out other S&W knives there, awhile after I bought the 1st one, & they don't seem to up to the standards of that 1st production model. I have no idea why.

I have noticed, though, that the ones with 440c, seem to be better. But it has to say 440c, not 440, because then it's most likely 440a, which is about the equivelant of AUS 6. It'll resist rusting better & probably won't break a blade, but it also won't hold an edge well, either.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; June 28th, 2007 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Additional info
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

...are crap. period.

Not too long ago I bought a new S&W revolver and in the box was a promotion that gave me a new Smith and Wesson knife. So I filled out the paperwork and sent it in. Soon the knife (a folder) showed up in the mail. Remember, I got it for next to nothing (had to fill out the paperwork) and IMHO that is pretty close to what the knife is worth.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I've had one S&W knife that was made years ago, and it was barely OK.

So let's see now..... manufacture a decent firearm and then allow the great S&W name to be put on total POC knives?

Yes, let's do that!! Makes perfect sense to all the eBay banana brain marketing types who can easily get lost on the way to the bathroom.

I guess S&W gets enough "kick-back" to justify their stupidity in this specific matter.

Ooooo- kaaay!!!!!!!

Regards,

just me

Sponsor
    I bought the Home Land Security that you see in my avatar at a local hardware store for $16.00. It's smooth operating and, so far a fairly tough utility knife. It looks good next to my M&P and is worth the price I paid for an every day utility blade.
    I picked up a S.W.A.T. straight edge blade because it was cheap and I liked my HS. It's at the bottom of a tool box somewhere. what a POC.
    Neither are what I would call a quality SD knife. But the HS is a good, cheap pocket knife.
    I still haven't decided on which brand or style that I want for dedicated SD but I'm leaning toward the Emersons.
    I do have a couple of Ken Onion's Kershaws (chive and Leek) and they are very nice. but the all metal grip is not ideal, very striking, but not ideal.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I must have gotten lucky with mine, but it was a 1st production run & the current Homeland Security knife doesn't look anything like it.

The ones I've seen recently, don't look or feel very good at all.

The Leeks are nice knives, but I don't think of it as a SD knife (& I have the one with S30V steel). You can't go wrong with an Emerson (I have 2 now, including one that's 8 yrs. old & still going strong).

For the money, a Spyderco Native isn't bad. Wally World sells the Native II with S30V steel, I believe, for $40, which is a very good price for a knife with that kind of steel/blade.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I've heard of the Native. I havn't gotten to my Wal Mart to see if they have them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    IIRC, they're made by United Cutlery - not known for high quality.
    Actually they are made by Taylor Brands, LLC, but your comment stands. I have one good S&W knife. It is the original S.W.A.T knife. It is a "First Production Run" and is hammer forged. It is also made in the USA. I was designed by Taylor, but at that time made by S&W. As far as I know all others are made in China. I don't know how Taylor gets away with the labeling they use. Most of the boxes indicate made in the USA. Many knives have no made in information. Some have the word China on them.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Now I may be the only one here who likes my S&W knife.

I carry a S&W Cuttin Horse and use it daily. Now granted I use it for opening boxes and cutting wire. I sharpen it every now and then and for the most part it does a real nice job for me.

Sure I have a drawer full of Bucks, Spyderco's adn others, but I always go back to the S&W for daily carry. I would be upset if I lost my other knives and while I don't want to lose my S&W either, I won't commit harry carry if I do.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Are these any good? Like the special ops. And the like. Just wondering I tend to pick up a lot of knives. But never one of these.
    My personal feeling? No. Wouldn't buy one, not even cheap.
    If I use a knife because I need to, and it's crappy and fails, it won't matter to me that it was cheap.

In my view, S&W knives are gimmicky and designed to appeal to "mall ninjas." (Tanto points and silly blade inscriptions that say "Homeland Security" in a pansy-lookin' script, for example...)

I've handled them at gun shows. They come with garbage edges, and the construction just feels cheap.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    My personal feeling? No. Wouldn't buy one, not even cheap.
    If I use a knife because I need to, and it's crappy and fails, it won't matter to me that it was cheap.

In my view, S&W knives are gimmicky and designed to appeal to "mall ninjas." (Tanto points and silly blade inscriptions that say "Homeland Security" in a pansy-lookin' script, for example...)

I've handled them at gun shows. They come with garbage edges, and the construction just feels cheap.
    I agree. I have seen a lot of silly S&W knives at gun shows. Mine looks fairly normal Just with a slightly hooked blade.

I wasn't sure about the blade, but it comes in handy.
    Attached Images
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Tanto points and silly blade inscriptions that say "Homeland Security" in a pansy-lookin' script, for example...)
    Actually, the Tanto point comes in very handy for me. Yesterday I had to cut a hole in a galvanized trashcan... tanto point worked wonders for piercing the thin metal. I use it as a utility knife and it works well, I'll sharpen it when it needs it.

I would not even consider doing that with a nice/good knife.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, I guess that there are jobs for which we don't want to use our "good" knives, our "beater" knives, or even our "cheap" knives: for those, we reserve our "TRASH" knives.

Come to think of it, maybe I should acquire a knife I not only wouldn't mind ruining, but actually have some contempt for... Like an S&W knife...

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Most of the boxes indicate made in the USA.
    The box is made in USA...

I like a Tanto

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links