The ''sock''!!

This is a discussion on The ''sock''!! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The flat sap was almost universally carried by the guys in my old department when I first walked through the door (1977). Pretty well banned ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The ''sock''!!

The flat sap was almost universally carried by the guys in my old department when I first walked through the door (1977). Pretty well banned by most departments, nowadays.

I purchased and used (once!) a Bucheimer "Convoy" blackjack; 15-ounce rounded head of solid lead; spring handle covered with braided leather. Swatted a 6'2", 220 pound physical specimen (high on somethin') who was trying to beat down my partner. The dude collapsed like a brain-shot steer! Scared me half to death, 'cause I (and my partner) thought I'd killed him! He survived, but I did learn a lesson: The flat saps were less likely to cause concussions & skull fractures.

Come to think of it, I do believe he learned a lesson, too!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

It's Amazing

How many things that are fairly recent almost get lost to general population history.
    I'll bet you could ask 99% of the people walking around in the U.S. what a "FLAT SAP" is and not get one correct answer!

Talking Next Step after the Flat Slap....

Quote Originally Posted by scbair
    The flat sap was almost universally carried by the guys in my old department when I first walked through the door (1977). Pretty well banned by most departments, nowadays.

I purchased and used (once!) a Bucheimer "Convoy" blackjack; 15-ounce rounded head of solid lead; spring handle covered with braided leather. Swatted a 6'2", 220 pound physical specimen (high on somethin') who was trying to beat down my partner. The dude collapsed like a brain-shot steer! Scared me half to death, 'cause I (and my partner) thought I'd killed him! He survived, but I did learn a lesson: The flat saps were less likely to cause concussions & skull fractures.
    Anybody ever used SAP GLOVES? Talk about dropping a perp like a brain shot buck! Sheeeeesh. You can use your fists or your open hands and just beat a guy near to the next life with very little effort.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

If not for my grandfather having a sizeable collection of them at one point...

I might now have known what a flat sap is.

Where I come from it's called a "blackjack" even though I've heard that term applied to other blunt weapons.

Personally I don't own one because the public perception is that they're super duper XXX illegal.

Here ya go from Magills
    Attached Images

Yup....Flat Saps Blackjacks and Noggin Slappers were/are illegal here in Texas, that's why I carried a "Tie Rod".......never knew when I might have to change one on the road!!!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

I don't have the Penal Code in front of me here but I think I did see the word "sap" in there on the prohibited weapons list.

I'd want to double check though. Every police officer in Texas will swear up and down and left and right that most steak knives are legal when they are in fact prohibited weapons.

By that same token, some automatic knives aren't strictly illegal if you read the Penal code word for word. Butterfly knives aren't strictly illegal either.

But I avoid them like the plague because of the perception that they're illegal everywhere in the U.S.A.

Oh dear heavens! That man has a balisong! We're all going to die!

Oh wait, never mind it's just a Louisville Slugger. We're okay now.

Idiocy...

Assistant Administrator
    Flat Saps Blackjacks and Noggin Slappers were/are illegal here in Texas
    Probably here too - a reason why ''the sock'' has a sorta appeal!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Padlock and a Bandanna.

VIP Member
    Lava soap is a good bar for a sock. It won't break up after the first hit like some of the regular bar soap does. Plus it handles the heat in a vehicle better.

Don't ask and I won't tell.

-Scott-

Administrator

Considered To Be An Offensive Weapon In PA.

Here it is right off "The Books"
    "Pennsylvania Offensive Weapons."
    Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

(d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:

Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (P.L.359, No.120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Pennsylvania State Police officers.
    Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.
    Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Here ya go from Magills
    Now your talkin Bud. I had a pair of these (probably different mfg then, don't remember) in the 70's and could easily take a man out with one punch...hmmm...wonder what happened to em anyway.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Talking Sap gloves work well....

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Here ya go from Magills
    I think GALLS police supply also sells them and so do some of the quasi-survival stores like Brigade Quartermaster or the CAV Store. Anyway they are STILL out there. Cost is usually about $50.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Get This

I think "The New Sap Gloves" no longer contain powdered lead since it's an environmental hazard.
    The liberals even have their hands in our gloves!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Of course you could always just go to a thift store, buy an old bat, glove and a ball... and keep them in your ride. The glove and ball for reason, the bat in case someone gets frisky.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links