knife or multi tool

This is a discussion on knife or multi tool within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys new to the forum an just wondering if for everyday carry a knife or multi tool is better each has it points but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knife or multi tool

knife or multi tool

Hey guys new to the forum an just wondering if for everyday carry a knife or multi tool is better each has it points but not sure which would be better i know as far as defense a knife would but what about all the other stuff a multi tool could be used for.

2. Remove Ads

I buy my fair share of knives, but I don't know of a single multi-tool that I can flip out fast enough to use defensively.
    I carry a SOG Powerlock in a leather pouch on my weak side. It gets used daily in my line of work. I don't think I have used the blade more than ten times. I use the pliers and cutter most.
    For SD you need a good quality locking folder that opens faster than you can blink, carried strong side. For me that means a separate knife. Make sure it's a good one, if it breaks it's worth nothing...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I used to carry a multi-tool, and my biggest gripe about them is that they are not one-handed, and not very ergonomic. This is understandable, since they generally hold a multitude of blades and it would be impossible to design for accessibility and a comfortable grip for every blade.

I now carry a Kershaw assisted folder, and it is capable of doing 95% of the jobs I need it to do. Plus, it can do them while my other hand is busy, it's lighter to carry, smaller than most multi-tools, and doesn't require a sheath.

YMMV, but for the tasks that I perform on a daily basis, a single-bladed folder makes more sense. A multi-tool is great for camping or for a survival kit, but I would still bring a folder for those situations as well.

A multi tool is great to have along, but the knife is a better defensive weapon. It is rather to difficult to deploy the blade quickly on a multi tool. I carry a small multi tool from Gerber called the CLUTCH. It fits on my key ring, is about 2 1/2 " by 3/8" weighs around 3 to 4 oz. with knife, nail file, pliers,several screwdriver blades, bottle opener and tweezers, all for $15.00.
    I've used it many times. It would also HURT & leave a mark if used to smack someone in the mouth, on the nose, or across the fingers as an impact weapon while in your hand with your keys. I carry a folding knife as well ( Kershaw Tactical Blur ) for defensive purposes.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    It depends on your needs. I have a micro tool on one of my key-chains that's usually in the car. I usually have extra things/tools in the car, but on my person I find that a good quality folder is very useful. Chances are if it's something I need now, I need it to be one-hand operational. Micro tools &/or leatherman type tools can be left in a car or bag for when I need it.

I suppose if I needed a leatherman type tool on a daily basis, I wouldn't think of it this way, but I don't, & I find myself needing a knife on a daily basis & usually several times throughout the day.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Leatherman make some multi-tools that are based on a standard folder, rather than the usual pair of pliers with a knife blade attached.

Not used one, might be useful if they were fast to open.

http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_m...ith_tools.html

VIP Member
    I carry a multi tool everyday, but as the others have said NOT as a defensive weapon.....I carry additional knives as back up to a firearm.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

My wife bought me a Leather SideClip many years ago. I rarely carry it but when I do it gets clipped in the weakside front pocket. Mostly it lives in my range bag in case I need the tools for gun maintenance.

Everyday without fail I carry a Benchmade 750 Pinnacle clipped to my strongside front pocket, it gets used so often I do it without thinking now - 3.6" ATS-34 combo edge blade w/ frame lock and thumbstud for one hand opening. If I'm heading to somewhere of "questionable security" I'll often drop my 806SD2 in my strongside back pocket as well. Yep, I'm a Benchmade fan.

This is all in addition to whatever gun(s) I chose to carry.
    Jack

JD
    Administrator
    Get both, personally I prefer a Leatherman over a Gerber, I broke two Gerbers in a week, while I've never broken a leatherman.

A multi-tool is a handy thing, it will not out perform a good knife that's a knife and nothing else. The knife blades on must multi-tools are pretty thin and are more for utility.

My leatherman is currently MIA, and I'll probably be getting a new one down the road soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    My leatherman is currently MIA, and I'll probably be getting a new one down the road soon.
    I don't know if you are boycotting SOG or not so feel free to disregard this endorsement but SOG multi-tools are the best I have had, like I say I use them at work in construction scenarios.

SOG allows you to order individual components for replacement or upgrade too.

Senior Moderator
    A knife is a multi tool.

I carry both actually
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I used to carry a first generation Leatherman Wave that was so beautifully worn in that I could open it like a balisong. It disappeared about 3 years ago, so when I started carrying my XD, I cut the flap off of the sheath and it's a perfect fit for a double stack magazine. Nowadays, I have a Leatherman Micra that I keep in my pocket rather than a fullsize tool on my belt.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I used to carry a first generation Leatherman Wave that was so beautifully worn in that I could open it like a balisong.
    Little known fact: by slightly loosening the hinge bolts and applying the right amount of lubricant, any leatherman can be made to open in a flash... at least the pliers can, anyway. Probably not much help for defense, unless you plan to pinch the guy to death, but it's handy all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    any leatherman can be made to open in a flash... at least the pliers can, anyway. Probably not much help for defense, unless you plan to pinch the guy to death, but it's handy all the same.

That was my earlier point, they open to pliers, the blade is concealed.

Multi-tools are for work only IMO, I never wear mine after work...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That was my earlier point, they open to pliers, the blade is concealed.

Multi-tools are for work only IMO, I never wear mine after work...

I carried mine every single day when I was going to NH technical institute. I used it in classes, in the machine shop, and in the maintainence shop for our solar and electric cars. I used it on my own VW (a LOT), and on the job (was working HVAC at the time). I liked the Wave because the blade could be opened from the outside, one handed. Now, I only carry the Micra on the off chance I may need it, not because I'm always looking for it like I was with the Wave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links