Cheaper than dirt?

This is a discussion on Cheaper than dirt? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are they a good source for knives? Some of thier prices make me a little leary....

Thread: Cheaper than dirt?

Cheaper than dirt?

Are they a good source for knives? Some of thier prices make me a little leary.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Dont know about knives, but I have made several orders from them. I usually get the items next day, and pay for ground shipping. Dont hesitate to buy from them.
    Curry

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    They're good guys. I've ordered several items from them, and have yet to be disappointed.

Research the knife you are thinking of buying, and if you're sure it will do what you want, I would have no reservations about ordering it from CTD

JD
    Administrator
    As long as you know your buying a quality knife and not the $2.00 tactical switchbowielockblade, you'll be fine. A good knife is still a good knife.

My time in the Marine Corps taught me the requirement of having a quality knife that will not fail when needed. I am partial to Emerson (Hard Use) Wave knives.

If using for defense/survival I would not flinch at $100 plus for a proven knife.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Moderator
    If you know what your buying Cheaper than Dirt is good. I bought ammo and blankets from them in the past.
    Last edited by pgrass101; July 6th, 2007 at 10:43 AM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

To directly answer: most of their knives are crap. If you see a name brand (Camillus, KaBar, Kershaw,etc..) they're the real deal. My experience has been that CTD is not "CTD" on the name brand items, however...YMMV

Lead Moderator
    As said, brand name should be ok. My buddy was disappointed with their bayonets. He thought he was buying a collectable knife, but got a parts from china re furb.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I was looking at some Kershaw, CRKT, and the like. Some models were 20.00-30.00$ less than other places on the net.

Never ordered any knives from them, but I have ordered ammo and magazines. I've always gotten what I ordered in a timely fashion.

CTD have a horrible website IMO.
    Find what you want at Knifeworks - AG Russell - or SMKW then compare the price with CTD with shipping.

IMO the other three are better.

BTW, some of the cheapest CRKT or Kershaw knives aren't worth the $20 that they cost - look out for Made in China knives.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I agree with Pete. The thing is, you have to be careful on the models, not just the make.

Some knife companies make the same knife, but with different quality things on them. For example, Ka-Bar dozier folders are a pretty good deal, but you want the ones made in Japan, not the Chinese made ones. Also, I noticed Kershaw makes different ones, too. I went to Big-5 & checked out their Kershaws. They weren't A/Os & there was something else wrong with them, but I forget now.

Typically, U.S. made knives are very good, perhaps the best. There are some very good knives made out of Japan, though, especially Seki city (I had 2 knives made from the same co., one made in Seki, Japan & the other in China. There was no comparison, the Japanese one was MUCH better, IMHO).

Just make sure you find out the EXACT model #, check research it alittle & you should be good.

CL01
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Links