Spyderco Sharpmaker ain't cuttin' it!

This is a discussion on Spyderco Sharpmaker ain't cuttin' it! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so after doing some research here on the forum it seems this was the "sharpener to have". Picked one up the other day, (even ...

Thread: Spyderco Sharpmaker ain't cuttin' it!

Okay, so after doing some research here on the forum it seems this was the "sharpener to have".

Picked one up the other day, (even though I cringed at the $$$), and spent last night and the majority of this morning ruining the edges on 3 of my knives and a pair of scissors.

I followed the DVD with Sal and took my time, made sure it wasn't too much pressure and watched my "form" on all 4 steps.

Now I have knives that are duller than when I started and my hand feels like the early onset of arthritis!

Any advice before I offer it up for sale and just go back to the stone?

Thanks!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Not really, without asking the obvious, but you did watch the DVD.

Please, don't take this wrong. Did you make sure of the angle? Each knife CAN be different (Well, different manufacturers can be). Also, did you go down the line, IF the blade needed? You don't always have to use the coarsest, then work your way down. It depends on how dull or sharp the blade already is.

I am by no means a guru or barely moderately knowledable on this stuff. I have used different types of sharpeners, as well as just separate stones, etc. Just some suggestions.

Hopefully someone really knowlegable will pipe up. Good luck, but I'm sure it's not the product, unless the sharpeners are defective.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I can recommend the CRKT Slide Sharp, no tutorial necessary on that one.

If you cringed at the price of the Sharpmaker, then you will have a heart attack at the price of the Edge Pro.

Did you try using the 30 degree side to take the "shoulder" off the edge first before using the 40 degree side to sharpen?

Your blades might have a steep angle on the edge and the 40 degree side it not touching the edge to sharpen it.

You can also use a sharpie and color the edge of the blade, then make a few swipes on the Sharpmaker and see if the edge is being touched. The sharpie will be worn off where ever the blade makes contact with the stones.

Don't let the DVD fool you in thinking it only takes 20-30 swipes on each side to sharpen. If the blade is really dull or the angle is a lot steeper then 40 degrees then it can take a while. And of course what kind of steel the blade is made of can determine how long it will take to resharpen.

I really like the Sharpmaker. Its great for a quick sharpening on most blades. But if I need to get a blade really sharp or re-profile the edge then I'll use my Edge Pro Apex.
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-2 Graduate X2
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-4 Graduate X2

I've got a Sharpmaker, a Lansky, and a couple of other "pre-set angle" sharpeners that I seldom use though they all work fine.

For some reason, I've always been able to get a sharper edge in less time just doing it "freehand" (using a "crock-stick" or a whet-stone). I guess it's because different knives may require a slightly different angle.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    For some reason, I've always been able to get a sharper edge in less time just doing it "freehand" (using a "crock-stick" or a whet-stone). I guess it's because different knives may require a slightly different angle.
    I envy you.

I've been collecting swords and knives for 20 years. I have attended sharping seminars by Wayne Goddard several times.

I just can not sharpen by free-hand.

I don't know why, but I just can not hold a steady, even angle when sharpening by free-hand.

So I need these sharpening gadgets to hold the angle for me. I have tried a LOT of them. The best for me has been the Edge Pro and the Sharpmaker.
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-2 Graduate X2
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-4 Graduate X2

Mark the bevel on each side of your edge with permanent marker, then give it a stroke or two on the medium rod. If the marker is being ground off at the top of the bevel instead of on the very edge, you haven't ground off enough metal to actually sharpen the blade yet. Try practicing with a thin kitchen or fillet knife if you have one, it will sharpen more quickly and give you a better idea of what works. I'm not saying this to be mean, but I promise that the system works, it's just that you need to learn how to use it properly. That may take some time, but once you figure it out it WILL get your knives sharp. Stick with it and good luck. If you've got some time, take a look here. This is one of the better descriptions I've read of how to get a sharp edge.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

RR, no offense taken.

I was quite sure it's not the product. I've done a little more research on the Spyderco website and the sharpie trick was mentioned there also. It seems I haven't got the shoulders of the blade down to where the edge isn't even touching yet! As Damon mentioned above, I'll be needing quite a bit of time to get that shoulder off and I ain't up to that task, or the time it will take. I thought this would make things easy from the start, but doesn't look that way.

I mainly bought this system because my main carry blade needs to be sharpened @ 18-22 degrees and thought this would be the ticket to make sure I did not screw up the edge angle. I sat down last night with my grandfather's sharpening stone, some oil and my blade. Figured I can't screw it up worse than I may have already. It's been a longtime, but I got a really nice edge on her with that stone!

Nothing against the Spyderco system, but you may soon see my virtually brand new kit for sale here on the forum!

Thanks to all who responded!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Administrator

Ditto: Roadrunner

Yep, use a Sharpie Marker and see exactly what you are doing.
    You have nothing to lose at this point if your edges are dull.
    They can only get sharper.
    You need to develop the knack for getting a keen, razor edge.
    I have used use the Lansky Diamond system for a long time now but, I always still "Marker" my edges to make sure that my angle is 100% correct for each individual blade.
    Stick with it and you'll be shaving the hair off your arm in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Mark the bevel on each side of your edge with permanent marker, then give it a stroke or two on the medium rod. If the marker is being ground off at the top of the bevel instead of on the very edge, you haven't ground off enough metal to actually sharpen the blade yet. Try practicing with a thin kitchen or fillet knife if you have one, it will sharpen more quickly and give you a better idea of what works. I'm not saying this to be mean, but I promise that the system works, it's just that you need to learn how to use it properly. That may take some time, but once you figure it out it WILL get your knives sharp. Stick with it and good luck. If you've got some time, take a look here. This is one of the better descriptions I've read of how to get a sharp edge.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The Sharpmaker won't remove steel quickly enough to reprofile an edge. Go to a hardware or sporting goods store and get a coarse bench stone for $10 or so. Lay it against the flat of one of the Sharpmaker rods while it's in the 30 degree slot, then hold the stone in place and run your knife down it until you've established a new bevel. Don't use too much pressure, just press firmly and let the stone do the work. Switch sides after every 15 strokes or so to keep your bevels even. Wipe the stone off when it clogs up with metal shavings. This will get you to a point where the Sharpmaker can work it's magic pretty quickly unless you're trying to grind a blade made of M2 or S60V. You'll only need to do this once on each knife you sharpen, after that touch up sharpening will be a breeze.

FYI you can try reprofiling freehand if holding the stone in the Sharpmaker is too much of a hassle, just grind away with a fairly low (15 degrees or so) angle. You don't need to be too precise because once the bevels meet and the edge is thin enough, the Sharpmaker rods can remove enough steel to give you a sharp, polished edge.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Links