Who carries a Rescue Blade?

This is a discussion on Who carries a Rescue Blade? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had looked at the Wilson "Cop Tool," but I don't really have a way to carry it. The CRKT rescue tool looks like and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who carries a Rescue Blade?

I had looked at the Wilson "Cop Tool," but I don't really have a way to carry it. The CRKT rescue tool looks like and interesting and cheaper version. Still no place to put it!
    What Would Gumby Do?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter_56 View Post
    Car door windows are more difficult to break than one would think.

One of my officers had some difficulty breaking a window with his ASP baton.

I had just ASS-U-ME-d that, since he'd been in this line of work for 8 years, he'd have some experience with that.

Once I told him to strike the glass SHARPLY, it worked just fine.

I carry the S&W 911 Ist Response. It has a built-in spring loaded center punch (for breaking glass windows), a screwdriver tip and serrated blade for cutting seatbelts, etc
    Attached Images
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Looked into the MOD CQD for exactly the things mentioned in this thread. Seat belt cutter, window breaker and bad a$$ blade all in one!

MOD CQD

But then I saw the price and thought wait a minute. Instead purchased a nice Kershaw Speed Safe with serrated edge and bought window punches at Harbor Freight to put in my cars.

Saw the guys on Mythbusters do an experiment with the plain-jane punches and they worked perfectly to shatter the side window underwater.

That MOD blade is still on my wish list though!
    Be sure to handle before you buy. Also be aware that MOD uses tool steel (not stainless) screws in the frame, and has threaded them into the aluminum directly, not using the stainless steel Helicoil thread inserts, like MT and some other $$ makers. For the money, IMHO, you can get much better.

I'm not big on the "Rescue" blades, since they are very much 1 trick ponies. Nothing wrong with them, just my preference.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Unless you're around it because of your job, the typical PS bladed folder should be sufficient.

I do carry, in my car (Not on my person), a CRKT Ultima with PS blade. It has the new zeff serrations & a mini pry-bar (That's what they call it) at the end of the handle. In the right instance, it can break a window & otherwise be useful if in an accident &/or I come up on one.

I could be wrong, but I figure if I need a rescue knife, I'll probably be around my car. In not, my PS Spyderco A.T.R. should handle it. Large PS blade & a big SS handle, that if used properly, should be able to break a window. I think it's more technique than tool.

I watched a guy try to break a window with his ASP & it just bounced right off. A good sharp/quick hit will do it & you can pretty much use anything hard. If it has a pointed end, it'll help.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Well, I'm hearing all the commonsense but I still think it is prudent to have one or two at hand, I agree not necessarily on the batbelt but definitely in the car, maybe also bedside for some of those tricky knots my wife does...
    So I'm buying a few, see what works for me. I have a primitive habit of accumulating sharp things, these will do nicely presently.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, if I were still out in Patrol, I would get one. Probably one of those dedecated ones like the Benchmade or CRKT that you have pictured. I think they're around $25 or so, & maybe under $20, right?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Back when i was an LE officer my old spyderco police model worked fine for about anything i ran across . Nowdays the slim and trim CRKT m16 series does the same when in town , and I have full faith in my Boker automatic that i carry on the place .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Well, if I were still out in Patrol, I would get one. Probably one of those dedecated ones like the Benchmade or CRKT that you have pictured. I think they're around $25 or so, & maybe under $20, right?
    Retail is probably about $25 yes.

My experiences

I carry one of the Benchmade hooks on my fire gear. It's a simple flat ring of stainless with a hook blade. Similar to your pic, but mine must be an old version. It's never rusted, never fell out of the little sheath, no problems. I once used it to cut a motorcycle boot off of a guy and it cut all the way through it with one pull and didn't stop till it hit the Steel toe. We carry a V blade knife on all of our trucks and I've used them, but they're nothing special and kind of big. I have the old Smith and Wesson rescue knife with the saw blade and window punch somewhere in my gear, and it's been through a lot. Cut out windshields, cut seatbelts and clothes, etc. Great tool. It shows some wear but still going strong. I broke many things with the Glock knife I kept on my SCBA, but one of the Captains made me take it off, looked too mean, I guess. I own around 250,000 pairs of trauma shears and carry a Microtech auto for EDC. For my own use in my car, I keep one of these around:
    http://www.resqme.com/
    Bought one for my car, girlfriend's car, mom and dad, and girlfriend's mom. The Highway Patrol issues one to every Trooper, several local LEOs have them. Cheap and field tested. Unlike the little toy hammer things ,http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/p...uto_safety.php they're easy to use, don't have to swing it inside the car underwater to get it to work, and they're small enough to keep close at hand. (airbag deflator needle?!)
    Mine hangs from a loop of 550 cord on my gearshift. Galls sells them, and I've bought from them with good service before. http://www.galls.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ncffp163 View Post
    I carry the S&W 911 Ist Response. It has a built-in spring loaded center punch (for breaking glass windows), a screwdriver tip and serrated blade for cutting seatbelts, etc
    I carry this too. Never had to use it, I refuse to use the blade for anything but its intended purpose (oh and cutting the crap out of my thumb one time). The carbide tip works well either spring-loaded or locked open and back-fisted.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I have one clipped to my sunvisor in my Jeep wrangler and it stays there. The center console could/can make it difficult to unlatch the seat belt if I'm in a hurry.

VIP Member
    Mine's not a dedicated rescue blade, but my MOD Mark II will work just fine. It doesn't have the seatbelt cutter like its big brother Mark I, but it does have the glass breaker on it. I only came close to having to use a glass breaker once, and that's when a lady lost control of her car and partially submerged her car in the family pond. She managed to extract herself before I made it to the scene.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I work as a Correctional Officer and we carry the Benchmade rescue hook. I also keep one in the truck.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Npete7381 View Post
    +1 on that, I've seen someone bounce a hammer off a side window of a car, but with the right tool it takes very little effort.
    Yeah, but you're talking about pounds per square inch there...Try taping a BB to the head of that same hammer and a 3-year old will get that window busted!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links