Who carries a Rescue Blade?

This is a discussion on Who carries a Rescue Blade? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are quite a few Rescue Blades available now. They're useful for cutting seatbelts, clothing etc in an emergency but without the risk of cutting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who carries a Rescue Blade?

There are quite a few Rescue Blades available now.
    They're useful for cutting seatbelts, clothing etc in an emergency but without the risk of cutting the actual person as the blade is guarded.

Benchmade have a few good ones.

CRKT do a good one too.

There's many more but they are all similar in design - a hooked blade and maybe a strike point.

So, does anyone carry one in the car? On the belt? In the pocket?
    Do you think they are unnecessary?
    Do you think they are essential?

I think they are very useful, I have one on my EDC multi-tool but am considering getting one for my key chain.

I have just started to carry the Benchmade rescue blade, top picture, prior to that just a set of trauma shears.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    It can be useful, especially if you need it for your job (Firefighters & LE, come to mind).

Personally, that's why I've always had at least one PS (Partially serrated) knife with me (That & that they tend to stay sharper/cuttability longer than plain edges).

I carry enough things w/o having to worry about a dedicated belt cutter, lol.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Looks Like a Useful Tool...

but if I decided to carry any more stuff, I'd have to install a trailer on my backside...

I'll take my chances using my Leek...

I have seen a similar tool that both cuts seatbelts and breaks windows for use in a car...I was thinking that might be useful to keep in a car...

Thanks for the idea...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I have seen a similar tool that both cuts seatbelts and breaks windows for use in a car...I was thinking that might be useful to keep in a car...
    Definitely a good tool for in the car, possibly stored in the visor. If you end up in water or overturned it will get the seatbelt off you and strike the window out if applicable ( I know that when fully submerged we should wind the windows down but with electric windows that might not be an option). The yellow Benchmade above is a good representation of a car egress tool.

But for carrying you could easily attach a smaller cutter on your keys, such as the Ontario ASEK tool.

i own and carry both a rescue 93mm and karambit from spyderco; both are good rescue blades.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I'd like to get one to carry while I'm working. Although for now, a set of shears works just fine :)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I carry a Kershaw Rescue Blur with my SAR/EMS gear. I have used it a lot and really like it. Besides having the rounded tip, it also has a carbide point on the other end for breaking out tempered glass windows. The first time I used the window punch I put half my arm into the car because it took a lot less effort to break the window that I thought it would. I have the red version that I linked to here, but it also comes in black.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=88
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

I have a set of EMT shears in my car along with my trauma-kit but I don't carry a dedicated "rescue knife"

like retsupt99 said, I'd have to have a trailer to carry any more crap on me.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    Just a "sharp as heck" knife is good enough for me.
    I have "right good" blade control & so I'm not worried about filleting myself or anybody else.
    The day I can't cut a doggone seat belt off with my razor sharp carry knife will be the day I deserve to be trapped in a burning car.
    Just my not so humble but, truthful opinion.
    I don't see any reason why I can't do whatever they can do exactly as good with a quick opening sharp folder.
    If I was a Paramedic or a Firefighter I would probably bite on getting one.
    And if I'm ever unconscious in a car and I need to get cut out of a seat belt...Hey...slice me and cut me but, just get me outta there. I'll gladly take the stitches.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You Have Me Thinking...

Everywhere I go, I have my Kershaw Leek right on my thigh. I believe the knife will cut a seatbelt quickly, but it also seems like using the closed knife could also break the window...

I'll have to try it out on my wife's car...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Car door windows are more difficult to break than one would think.

I have the boker rescom. Anyone who knows chad's work knows his design is hard to beat, and with the rescom this is especially true.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter_56 View Post
    Car door windows are more difficult to break than one would think.
    +1 on that, I've seen someone bounce a hammer off a side window of a car, but with the right tool it takes very little effort.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Looked into the MOD CQD for exactly the things mentioned in this thread. Seat belt cutter, window breaker and bad a$$ blade all in one!

MOD CQD

But then I saw the price and thought wait a minute. Instead purchased a nice Kershaw Speed Safe with serrated edge and bought window punches at Harbor Freight to put in my cars.

Saw the guys on Mythbusters do an experiment with the plain-jane punches and they worked perfectly to shatter the side window underwater.

That MOD blade is still on my wish list though!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links