HAK warning

This is a discussion on HAK warning within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow. I can't tell you how many times I've looked over that website toying with the idea of ordering. I am not one who wants ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HAK warning

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Wow.

I can't tell you how many times I've looked over that website toying with the idea of ordering. I am not one who wants to wait as long as people are describing, that's for sure.

My feeling is that when you're a business, in effect, correspondence with customers--especially those who have put down deposits--should be answered with due diligence and as promptly as possible. I can understand delays in production, but delays in simple communication are a lot harder to excuse. I am really thankful for the heads-up on this one. Meanwhile, I'll stick to production knives.

2. Remove Ads

Just a heads up guys. I go to a few forums including this one and HAKs are always popular. As a matter of fact I have ordered one. I ordered it in Feb 07 (paid) however I placed the order months earlier. Well the knife had sat around and I was running around getting ready for a deployment and honestly forgot to make the money availible for it. Well when I paid a few bills to where I could pay for the knife it had already been sold. That said at the time I paid for it my mouth was watering, I mean I could not wait to get my hands on it. Months rolled by I returned from my deployment and started to Email the company with no responses and all I was doing was politely inquiring on the order status since the status page had not been updated in some time. Anyways two or three Emails and no response. I just shrugged it off and figured it will get here when it gets here (an attitude I picked up working at a guns store that sold alot of custom ordered high end guns). Anyhow last week I get an Email from a gentelman named William from HAK and he told me what had happened and that the reason many Emails have not been replied to were some personal issues (My heart goes out to that person) he told me that the knife was not availible and that he would give me credit towards items availible, a refund or I could wait as he was expecting the knife I ordered from the artist soon but could not give me a date. He was extremely polite and helpful and seemed honest and not as if he was giving me the standard customer service speech. William Emailed me today and told me that my original order was in and being completed and should be shipping it to me shortly. I am eagerly awaiting this knife and beleive it will be just as good as I was told and have read.
    I have worked small companies granted they were full time and not part time compaines but I know how devistating one persons problems can be to the group as a whole. These knives are pricey but not much more than your Emersons, higher end Benchmades and others but these are custom made and many in the "custom" industry do other jobs to and have there custom work as hobbies that they enjoy. So to finish off my rant. Be patient if you want a knife fast buy one at a store but if you wait you will appreciate it more, and give the companies like this one a little break cause if we make it too hard on them they will shut down public sales and sell to thier buddies and a select few and you will be out one heck of a knife. As always there are problems that are excessive and the only recourse is to cancel an order or take your problems to the company in good faith that they will be handeled to your satisfaction as mine has.

Something I forgot as of right now if you are a 4.50 size acording to the HAK sizing chart there are a lot of nice new knives availible. ORDER THEM NOW if you want one it will be faster.

I understand front site is out of the picture there now, and things are supposedly going to be back to normal soon.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I really do hope that things do return to normal. I have about 4 HAK's. I love them all and I have always recommended them to friends and follow LEO's. I use to talk to FrontSight quite a bit. Then she drop of the face of the earth with no info. She didn't even keep in contact with the other makers that where helping her. I do hope and pray she is alright and things get back to normal. I don't really understand the comment about her being out of the picture. It was her invention, I just can't see her letting go.

Brian

Any idea if they're shipping out the ones they have in stock already?
    Or do these problems just apply to customs?

FYI, a lot has changed with the HAK situation in the last week or so.

FrontSight(the original female owner) is no longer involved with the company or production of the knives.

The company is evidently under new management and things seem to be getting resolved.

If anyone is interested in more details, there are several threads on the subject at the USN.

Administrator
    One of you can have the one that I'll (for sure) never buy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

pmt
    Quote Originally Posted by joker581 View Post
    FYI, a lot has changed with the HAK situation in the last week or so.

FrontSight(the original female owner) is no longer involved with the company or production of the knives.

The company is evidently under new management and things seem to be getting resolved.

If anyone is interested in more details, there are several threads on the subject at the USN.
    What is the 'USN' ? Link?
    USP9 CUSTOM SPORT (X2)
    HK34FTCB
    P7PSP
    Left handed compliment:
    "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

Sorry. The USN is the Usual Suspects Network. It's a knife forum.

http://www.usualsuspect.net/forums/

I too have considered ordering one. I went so far as to email with some specific questions. No answer, waited a month and forwarded the same message. It's been 3 months now and I've still heard nothing.

I don't know what's going on, and am willing to wait on a custom piece but the lack of communication seems wrong to me. If there's a backlog then post it on their website, just ignoring potential customers seems irresponsible. Even if there is a personal matter they don't want to make public something could be posted on the web site to let customers know that they are not taking orders or unable to answer email.

I had given up on hearing anything from them, maybe if they are getting back into the swing of things I'll give them another try. I hope everything works out for them. All the reviews seem good.

I couldn't get into the forum joker581 recommended it takes you right to a log in screen, I don't want to register and gain yet another username and password just to see what he's talking about.

Check in one the USN Forums before making a decision. It's covered pretty much in depth there. I'll be placing an order with the new crew next month. FWIW, I have two of the early HAKs, and will be a returning customer.

I don't want to register and gain yet another username and password just to see what he's talking about.
    Obviously it is a register to use/view forum. I have the same name anyplace I interact with serious or thoughtful folks- if they're in the same circles, they know what to expect. (;

The link will give you background and an idea of what to expect if you wish to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Obviously it is a register to use/view forum. I have the same name anyplace I interact with serious or thoughtful folks- if they're in the same circles, they know what to expect. (;

The link will give you background and an idea of what to expect if you wish to purchase.
    I registered, clicked on the link. But still am not allowed access to the forum. What am I doing wrong?

Edited to add:
    Ok, giving up now.....Couldn't get on, even with the password they reset for me. Now I've used up all of my login tries.

This is one of the most unfriendly forum to new users I've ever tried to join.

I am a member at the USN forums and had problems getting logged in (don't visit often). Long story short, what I consider to be the most credible posters (knife makers) are reporting that the original owner/inventor of the HAK, Frontsight, has left the business due to family health reasons. It is controlled by someone named "William," who at least appears to be trying to make things right. Some posters report MONTHS of no contact with FS, even those that are on personal terms with her. The new person running the show has reportedly shipped some knives and provided some refunds, and been in direct personal contact with at least one poster there (forgot, think it was a knife maker). Please keep in mind that I have ZERO personal knowledge of any of these people, but the info appears credible that "William" is trying to straighten out the business and has a backlog of problems to sort out. It sure sounds like a screwy situation that he walked into...not everything added up to me.
    I'm glad I got my Utility grade HAK, but now know I wasn't the only one being ignored on E-mails, etc.
    Last edited by sheepdog; August 6th, 2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    What Would Gumby Do?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links