HAK warning

This is a discussion on HAK warning within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If anybody is looking to buy a hideaway knife. I would hold off for awhile from ordering from the website. It appears that the owner ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HAK warning

HAK warning

If anybody is looking to buy a hideaway knife. I would hold off for
    awhile from ordering from the website. It appears that the owner has not been fulfilling her orders and some folks have been waiting for a while, even after putting money down.

Just a heads up. I don't want to see anybody get burned.

Brian

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That's too bad. I must of been lucky when I ordered mine about 4 months ago. I got it about 3-4 weeks later & she answered my emails, too.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That sucks! I'm aware of how much everyone seems to LOVE those products. Hard to imagine that the boss man would let business slip badly unless something major had happened. (I mean, I'm sure it's a very small operation, so it could be something as simple as the flu!) One wonders...

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    You mean boss woman. She's gotten a lot of press in the recent past and may just be flooded. If you think custom holster makers have it bad, try doing your custom work in steel.

She got mine to me after a bit of delay. Probably just swamped with orders and folks getting impatient. Unfortunately with a small operation, it is easy to get behind when demand suddenly exceeds their limited production capabilities.

After an experience with an other vendor who screwed me, my only mail order/internet purchases are via credit card, UNLESS I'm REALLY REALLY sure about the party I'm dealing with. At least that way you'll have protection and recourse via the credit card company, if things go sour.

It is hard to get in touch with her, but I did get my knife and it was well worth the wait/upset. She really does need some help with filling orders/contacting customers. It's a shame that such a great product has to have a problem, not the product but dealing with getting it.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

What is "behind"? If you order a knife from a custom maker, you generally expect a 4-6 month wait. Hossom, Terrell, Onion, and Hinderer among many others are no longer taking orders, so they can finish their back logs.

I waited 8 mos for a hand-ground Strider Hybrid. Got my Brock Curvy in 2 weeks, from the on-hand stock. Depends on what you order.

I think that the issue is glitches in the ordering process and her not responding to emails in a normal amount of time, not the time it takes to make the knife. For example, I ordered an in stock item (with the sheath made) and paid with paypal. I emailed her to ask a question about the item and never got a reply. A few weeks later I had still not heard from her and it did not show up as shipped on her website. I emailed her again. A few days later it showed shipped, although I never heard back from her. Shortly after getting it I sent her another email asking for help to get mine fixed (another story that I posted about previously) and got nothing back. I was upset enough to send her an email complaining about her lack of customer service and she finally replied. I will say that once she replied she seemed nice and reasonable, but it had taken too long. After waiting another long time for her to find out if there was someone that I could pay to fix my knife I corresponded with her again and waited again. At that point I gave up and asked on a forum if there was anyone that I could pay to fix my knife. As luck would have it Ken Brock (who had worked on my knife in the first place) is a member there and he was an absolute gentleman. He fixed it for nothing and the turnaround time was shockingly fast!

I do not mean to trash the owner or the product. I have my hideaway on me every day and recommend it to friends and coworkers. I only wish that this one wrinkle could be ironed out of the ordering process. If she is getting that many orders she should get someone to organize the delivery process or at least respond to emails.
    Here is a shot of mine.
    Last edited by NYCMedic; July 18th, 2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added picture
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I believe she has a F-T job that keeps her VERY busy. From the emails I've had with her (Again, she responded in a timely fashion when I emailed her), I don't believe there's much profit on each knife & until the volume really goes up, I don't think she can afford to hire too much help.

Hopefully, she'll rectify the situation & it hasn't hurt her reputation. From what I've heard, the prices might go up or cerain knives might have to be made elsewhere. Wonder how that'd work?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

HAK

I ordered 2 about 6 months ago.
    I have sent 8 e-mails, and have not heard anything.
    Very dissapointed in the company.

Thanks for the heads up, I was about to order... Please repost if you hear of improvements.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

I can't really get into all the details of what I know about this issues. I have come to enjoy this site and do not want to see anybody here get burned. I hope all the issues get ironed out and things get back on the right track. I have dealt many times with FS and everything has always gone smooth. I do know that a lot of people are not receiving there product even after wait for over a year and after they have put down deposits. If things get straighten out I will defiantly let everybody know.

Brian

It took about 2 months to get my wrap sheath, and two E-mails went without response. Forgot how long it took to get my knife. I'm not really a knife guy, but she puts out a great product.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1 View Post
    I can't really get into all the details of what I know about this issues. I have come to enjoy this site and do not want to see anybody here get burned. I hope all the issues get ironed out and things get back on the right track. I have dealt many times with FS and everything has always gone smooth. I do know that a lot of people are not receiving there product even after wait for over a year and after they have put down deposits. If things get straighten out I will defiantly let everybody know.

Brian
    Personal or business? If Chris, Ken and Seth haven't heard from her, something is up(since before May?!?!). If business, stuff happens, and she probably should post a LOA. If personal, and a resurgence of old stuff, you aren't hearing from her with exceedingly good reason. PM, me, if so inclined.
    -RC

pmt
    I ordered one in November 2005. I have sent emails in the past year with no response. She can keep her knife.
    USP9 CUSTOM SPORT (X2)
    HK34FTCB
    P7PSP
    Left handed compliment:
    "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links