Hunting Knives

Hunting Knives

This is a discussion on Hunting Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; KNIVES FOR HUNTING Many of us hunters of long have a love affair with the tool of a successful hunt; the knife. In our minds, ...

Thread: Hunting Knives

Hunting Knives

KNIVES FOR HUNTING

Many of us hunters of long have a love affair with the tool of a successful hunt; the knife.
    In our minds, we have this idea of the perfect knife that will fit our hand like a glove; that will perform surgery like a scalpel; that will not need to be sharpened ever, and will remove a cape as well as field dress and skin anything from a deer to a moose.

In our search for the perfect blade, we accumulate many of them that are probably as good as the best knife ever made, but in our search for Nirvana we keep adding new blades and hoping to do enough hunting to test all of them on game.

On the other hand, some hunters are not interested at all in the tool. My friend Frank that has probably field dressed at least fifty deer with the same Buck hunter knife in the last 20 years removes it from the pack once every year in hunting season to field dress a deer or two, and the blade goes back into the same pack to wait for next year’s job.
    Perhaps his father being a butcher has something to do with it. He was taught how to field dress a deer early in life, and to him it is just a necessary job that has to be performed. To others like me it is a culmination of all our efforts and should be done as elegantly and as clean and bloodless as possible and with the most effective of tools.

I have found in my long search for the perfect blade that many of today’s knives in the market qualify as superb blades for the job. A good knife blade of 3 ˝ to 4 inches will be plenty for most chores. Preferences in my case are for the drop-point blades, but I have had good service from clip points or other shapes.

Some of us like a fancy wood or antler handle or perhaps some engraving on the blade. Those I label dress knives and are a great way to stir a conversation between fellow hunters. I am one with that type of taste and will always appear at camp with a fancy blade. The truth is that I perform all of my field dressings with a plain one that I keep hidden in my pack.

Here is one of my fancy blades, the Browning model 122 one of one thousand, and the one that does the actual field dressing, a Buck 192 Vanguard.

Best wishes

Black Bear
    Builder of the BOREALIS 1050 lumens flashlight

and www.blackbearflashlights.com

E-Mail admin@blackbearflashlights.com

I use Knives of Alaska for deer, elk, coons, and even fish.

Years ago I was invited to join a German hunting club in the Catskills, which had access to huge woods and was managed for quality deer. The members hunted from hotchsits and performed the "last meal" ceremony in the deer they got, all very proper and traditional Teutonic customs.

To "fit" in I dusted off my Mannlicher style Mauser 30-06 rifle and bought a White Hunter II Puma knife.

Here is it.

Best

Black Bear

Lead Moderator
    Here is what I use. A Gerber LST (pre cursor to the Gator) a old knife I used from construction and everything else and second my buck skinner. A gift from my girlfriend one Christmas.
    Both these knives are used for skinning to processing all the deer I get.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Black Bear 84, beautiful Browning knife!

I have used many knives in the past but I keep coming back to the A.G. Russell Woodswalker. Scalpel sharp! Either that or my Kershaw Echo.

I like the look of the stag handle, it impart a lot of character to a blade, and I have several knives with them.

Here is my Colt 1851 (one of 1200)

Cheers
    Black Bear

Two Favorites

Here are my two favorite hunting knives. The first one is hand made by one of my clients. It has a beef wood handle and a blade of 3 7/8 inch and fits and works well. The second one is one that I have had for about 20 years and still like vey much. It is a Western with a 4 1/4 inch blade, not an expensive knife but has held up well for its years. It stays in my Jeep along with a Ontario Knife Company machete.
    Attached Images
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Custom knife by Audra Draper (First Woman to recieve the Master Smith Stamp from the Bladesmith Society) This was my design, she Hand forged it from a Blacksmith Rasp. Blade is 6" long.
    Attached Images

Very nice selection Black Bear! One of my favorite knives is in my avatar. A little large for field dressing, but the damascus blade is razor sharp, and it stays by the bed for insurance!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

My Browning model 65 (one of one thousand)

Detail of the file work at the handle

Cheers
    Black Bear

I found this knife at the dump, its an old Schrade Walden knife from post WWII. I have no idea why anyone would have wanted to throw this away. Makes a great hunting knife.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, the 1st pic is what I originally got to go out in "the country" with. The middle one is my "heavy duty" knife, & the top 2 in the pic on the right is what'll get the most use. Actually, the top one (Ontario RAT3 D2) hasn't been used yet (Can you tell?). The middle one is a modified Benchmade 201 D2. FWIW, the middle pic is the one in my avatar, a custom Ranger RD5.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; October 25th, 2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Knife descriptions
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash Dragoon View Post
    I found this knife at the dump, its an old Schrade Walden knife from post WWII. I have no idea why anyone would have wanted to throw this away. Makes a great hunting knife.
    It was used in the commission of a crime, soooo I will need it for evidence. I will send you my address to ship it to me

Z

Administrator
    No Frills - Just a plain ol' CASE XX
    A great knife that takes a razor sharp edge.

Sponsored Links