Need help with knife decision

This is a discussion on Need help with knife decision within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, really, I need some information on the blade types. Im pretty much set on a Benchmade knife, but I need help with the decision ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with knife decision

Need help with knife decision

Well, really, I need some information on the blade types.

Im pretty much set on a Benchmade knife, but I need help with the decision of which one mostly on the blade metal. So, here goes:

-Im looking for a metal that once it takes an edge, wants to hold on to it for dear life
    -Im looking for a metal that also takes a razor sharp edge, as sharp as is practical
    -What kind of hardness am I looking for?
    -Is titanium, or cobalt steel, or any of those, I guess, "specialty" metals any good?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, Benchmade makes good knives, for the most part. Personally, I'd get the blue box, maybe one of the black box models. I wouldn't bother with the red box models if I can help it.

Since you're on a campus, I'm assuming you can't carry a very long blade & probably not a fixed blade. I'd get a folder with the axis lock.

As far as steel, I think S30V would probably suit you well. I wouldn't bother with titanium. I doesn't hold an edge well or long.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

For the most part? Are there any brand names that are better? Just curious, because Im not to worried about the money (though 100-200 dollar range would be preferable).

As for the campus, all carry laws in Texas apply to the campus, so only folders (no assisted opening), single edged and under 5.5 inches is perfectly legal.

And Ill keep a lookout for S30V.

Ahhhhhhhh yes grasshopper, there are lots of pocket knives that are better than benchmade.

I personally like Spyderco & Emerson along with Strider (and the buck/strider) blades if ya can find em any more.

The CRKT M16 line of blades is also a great buy.

Check out http://www.bladeforums.com/ for more about knives than ya could ever dream about

Blade steels

If you are looking for a good blade, Look for one with high carbon steel.
    They are easier to sharpen than stainless.
    They they hold an edge better than stainless.
    The drawback is they will stain.
    You also want one between 58-60 on the rockwell hardness scale
    Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by whitetrashfarm; July 24th, 2007 at 05:22 AM. Reason: additinal info

I'm a fan of Benchmade knives, mostly because of the Axis lock system that seems to work very well. I've found them to take and hold an edge well.

I have a Benchmade 710 with aluminum scales that serves as my backup EDC if I have a brain fart and leave my Sebenza at home. (I keep it clipped in my "man-purse" for just such an emergency.)

Various other namebrands have plusses or minuses and in the price range and with the brands listed here you won't go far wrong no matter what you choose.

I'm not a big fan of serrated edges so most Spyderco knives are not an option for me but they are very well though of by many.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Sarge,
    Stainless will be better for EDC in Tejas- less maintenance. S30V, ATS-34, 440C, by BM, Spyderco, Kershaw, or Buck will be fine. Really minimal differences. 440 has gotten a bad rap from MIC (Made in China) knives with poor-no heat treat. Pat and Wes Crawford (among others) still use 440 in their custom blades.

I like BM, but for the money, a Spyderco Endura (Generation IV), with or without the Wave, available in plain or serrated, should fit the bill for around $50. The Gen 4s have bronze bushings and stainless liners, which translates to a very smooth, durable knife.

Is it for defense primarily or is it a utility knife that needs to double as a defense tool when required?

My knives are utility first - I use them at work all day, every day - and defense second.
    I buy them to make work easier, and maybe save my hide...

Worth considering as a solely defense knife is a very different tool.

Have a look at the AG Russell knife website, lots of information and good prices to compare with the bargains on eBay.

Lead Moderator
    I like Benchmade knives. also Kershaw seem to work well and hold thier edge. Finally I use a Gerber gator that seems to hold an edge like no other.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It'll be a knife for self-defense first and utility second. I mostly use my leatherman wave for utility, so I want this knife to be designed around defensive purposes.

So far, these are what have stood out for me:

http://www.emersonknives.com/RWB_index.html (UTCOM CQC-11, I guess you cant link directly to it)

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=610

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=630

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...px?model=10100

I didnt care much for the spyderco knives and I'm still running through the other name brands, but thats what I've got so far. Im leaning fairly far on knive blade lengths longer than or at 4 inches, which is why that red series benchmade is on there (5.2 just sounds appealing, that and the fact its $100, but I guess you get what you pay for).

If money is not a problem you will be very hard pressed to find a better folder than Strider. They are simply awesome knives, but beware they are extremely addictive and have a huge following.

Check them out: http://www.striderknives.com/
    surprise, speed and viloence of action

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Sgt.Rock, I'm not sure why you've written off the Spyderco knives, because there are a LOT of them to choose from. But if it's an aesthetics/taste issue, there can really be no arguing it.

If you're looking for a knife that would easily handle the task of being a utility knife as well as a potential defense knife, that is reliable, well-made, lightweight, ergonomic and just generally cool, the Spyderco Endura Wave is an excellent choice.

You asked about a steel that would take a very sharp edge and keep it as long as possible, and for that (although I have no personal experience with it) I have read much about this recently developed steel called ZDP-189. If you check out the Spyderco forums and ask around about it, many people will rave and tell you it's the greatest steel in the world.

If you want a knife reputed to be built like a tank, there is the Spyderco Manix. Very tough, utilitarian, but larger than some desire. (Again, I don't have one but have read people's reaction to it and seen lots of pictures. In fact, I want one but it's more than I want to spend right now.)

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Nothing's really wrong with your choices. It's like getting a gun or a holster. You're probably not going to get just one.

If you like the Benchmades, then get one. I personally like Benchmades with the axis lock, but that's me. The Red box Benchmades are made in China (Usually). Their steel's not going to be as high grade as the blue & black box knives (I'm talking about Benchmade here), & apparently QC's OK, but getting better from what I hear/read.

I like Emersons (I have 2) & the Commanders are VERY nice, so you really can't go wrong that one.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I have one Benchmade and it is a good knife. It is an older one and has the Axis lock. It works very well.
    I am a big fan of Spyderco though. IMHO, dollar for dollar, I think a lot of them are a better value. I do not know much about Benchmade, but I do know that Spyderco really listens to their customers. Sal Glesser is on the Spyderco forum a fair amount talking with the guys and gals there.
    As far as the steel, I think you would be very happy with the S30V or the VG-10. Both will hold an edge very well. Don't let them get too dull as they will require a bit more work to get the edge back in shape.
    Some of the Walmarts have the Spyderco Native for $40. It is a pretty simple knife, but has the S30V steel blade. It is a great value. I paid $65 for the same knife at Sportsman's Warehouse.
    I don't really know how you are going to use your knife, but here are a few pics of some different Spyderco knives.

Ron

Para Military, Caly3 and Delica Gen4

Mini Manix (built like a tank), Caly3 and Para Military

D'Allara

Mini Manix and Lil' Temp
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Like this:

I've got 2 Strider fixed blades & a Buck/Strider folder. Love em I do!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmupton View Post
    If money is not a problem you will be very hard pressed to find a better folder than Strider. They are simply awesome knives, but beware they are extremely addictive and have a huge following.

Check them out: http://www.striderknives.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links