wife in foreign country, needs to carry something

This is a discussion on wife in foreign country, needs to carry something within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 64zebra well I don't think anyone would want to bring a knife to a gun fight, but having something to stick in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wife in foreign country, needs to carry something

Lightbulb Got to be more...

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    well I don't think anyone would want to bring a knife to a gun fight, but having something to stick in a scumbag's eye or neck when they tried to get ahold of you would be better than nothing.
    That might work in an American neighborhood where just maybe there will be a "friendly" cop in range of a cell phone.

Sticking a piece of hand fashioned steel into the eye of a foreign scumbag on foreign soil is something else again. Especially since said scumbag might be looking for something beyond your wallet!

What IF:

There's more than one?

They have a vehicle right there?

They're screaming anti-American slogans, but haven't made a threatening move? But they clearly refuse to let you leave in peace?

There is a female with you and they clearly want "something" from her but wish to leave you alone?

NOW: Imagine combinations of the above!

It's got to go beyond the presence of a shank OR a firearm. There have to be contingencies. Plans for situations and permutations of situations. Plans mean tactics and strategies.

What's the difference you ask? Well I had an old and wizened First Sergeant who put it in great terms even a Second Looie could understand. Son.....lemme tell ya the difference. STRATEGY is everything you do to get the GIRL to go out on a date with you. TACTICS is everything you do from the moment you pick her up from her home!

If you're in a foreign country and the sentiment isn't all warm and fuzzy towards Americans...then you've got to have workable solutions to problems that might arise and they've got to be practiced to see if they are indeed workable. Reacting to a crisis when it's already upon you is too little and too late. You're already behind the power curve.
    REACTIVE?

PROACTIVE?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Wow. I hate to make this observation, being a Christian myself that carries AND instructs...BUT....the trip is sponsored by the church and it goes to honor God, right? Well.....under such circumstances might it not be just a little judgmental of God's sovereign protection? I mean, if I were "called" into such a magnificent undertaking I'd have to put my welfare into the hands of the Lord and just....TRUST. I know how hard that is for the sheepdogs...I really DO. It's one reason I don't go into the missionary field, even though my wife would love to do that in our retirement. Trust and know that even if God wants to "call your wife home," it's all part of the plan. That'd be the attitude I'd have to take and I wouldn't be happy about it and I'm sure there would be many conversations in prayer over this!
    ahhh... right. I am just not going to say anything more than religion bewilders me every time.

To the OP, I hope your wife enjoys her trip and everything goes well. The odds are, as in most of life, that things will be fine.

Remember, I'm speaking of long term residence while working overseas and I've already BTDT. It was a long time ago, but I spent some time in Central and South America. Kidnapping was already big business in many of those places. This was obviously pre-911.

I'm also not necessarily referring to a country with an unstable government. I was in Nicaragua when Somoza was in control and he had (at that time) firm control. I was able to secure a 1911 & 5 sp mags loaded with 230gr ball almost within moments of arriving at my destination near the Honduran border. No probs with the gov't...but a lot of potential trouble with bandits and kidnappers and even at the time the newly formed Contra movement. Heck, I was a kid then and I still knew what to do. Later on, I had the occasion to travel subsequent to my time as an army infantry captain to similar areas at the request of an old friend to act as an advisor on security issues to a landholder with large areas of ranch land. Again, I was armed as soon as I was met at the airport (after exiting the airport but before leaving the grounds). I had made it a condition of my travel that I be armed while in-country. Before I entered the airport for my return flight, I returned the Sig I'd been loaned. I wasn't worried about the government in either case. But I'd had ample reason (based on extensive pre-travel research) to worry about corrupt soldiers/cops/ and assorted thugs & commie insurgents.

fair enough...i try not to break the law, regardless of what country I'm in. Most of my travel has been in civil countries so it's never been a personal issue. Although, I wish I would have had a weapon when I got the snot beat out of me in Krakow on new years eve by some thugs in a dark alley. I gave them some decent 'knots' though! Luckily they were unarmed and some others rounded the corner before it got too ugly.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Research on what's legal and what's not before she leaves is the key to this. Some countries will allow her to possess firearms (but it may take bribing local officials) and some will make possession of knives illegal.

I found out the hard way in Israel that carrying a knife is illegal there. I didn't get jammed up over it, as I ID'd myself as a LEO to the senior Israeli Police Officer at the checkpoint, but I did take his friendly advice to leave it in my luggage at the hotel after that. [They use x-ray machines and metal detectors everywhere in Israel.]
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    That might work in an American neighborhood where just maybe there will be a "friendly" cop in range of a cell phone.

Sticking a piece of hand fashioned steel into the eye of a foreign scumbag on foreign soil is something else again. Especially since said scumbag might be looking for something beyond your wallet!

What IF:

There's more than one?

They have a vehicle right there?

They're screaming anti-American slogans, but haven't made a threatening move? But they clearly refuse to let you leave in peace?

There is a female with you and they clearly want "something" from her but wish to leave you alone?

NOW: Imagine combinations of the above!

It's got to go beyond the presence of a shank OR a firearm. There have to be contingencies. Plans for situations and permutations of situations. Plans mean tactics and strategies.

What's the difference you ask? Well I had an old and wizened First Sergeant who put it in great terms even a Second Looie could understand. Son.....lemme tell ya the difference. STRATEGY is everything you do to get the GIRL to go out on a date with you. TACTICS is everything you do from the moment you pick her up from her home!

If you're in a foreign country and the sentiment isn't all warm and fuzzy towards Americans...then you've got to have workable solutions to problems that might arise and they've got to be practiced to see if they are indeed workable. Reacting to a crisis when it's already upon you is too little and too late. You're already behind the power curve.
    REACTIVE?

PROACTIVE?
    Ex, I understand what you're saying and its appreciated for the info contained in your posts (I always enjoy your posts), however its beyond the scope of what I was wanting to discuss in this particular thread
    if any of the situations you speak of were to take place then we're talking about a whole other ball game that my wife (nor 99% of people) would be able to handle anyway
    I was wanting to discuss the availability of other weapons for someone to take and if anyone had any experience with such other weaponery
    has anyone purchased one of these for their wife/gf/daughter, etc ?
    http://www.coldsteel.com/92hc.html
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

that comb/knife is hilarious!

Wink I DID!

I was wanting to discuss the availability of other weapons for someone to take and if anyone had any experience with such other weaponery
    has anyone purchased one of these for their wife/gf/daughter, etc ?
    http://www.coldsteel.com/92hc.html
    I got one of these for my daughter while she was a senior in high school and she subsequently took it off to college with her. I think when she got married her dog chewed it to pieces but by then she had a 357 magnum anyway.

I'll tell you what I'd use in a place that's really restrictive like UK or say...Maryland. I'd take one of those KERABIT "Travel Wrenches." They're pretty easy to use and very innocous to the untrained or heck to the trained AND experienced eye! No real upper body strength is needed if the techniques are used properly and there is a great little video avaliable that teaches proper use. The cost of the impact weapon itself is about $10 and the video will run another $30 + shipping.

I know a lot of folks here HATE this company (BoTach) but I've been blessed to not have any problems and this is a good site to see what I'm talking about. I'm certain you can get the instrument elsewhere.

http://store.botachtactical.com/kelwordtlimk1.html

In facy, I think the thing was invented by martialist Kelly Worden so do a search on him, maybe.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    I got one of these for my daughter while she was a senior in high school and she subsequently took it off to college with her. I think when she got married her dog chewed it to pieces but by then she had a 357 magnum anyway.

I'll tell you what I'd use in a place that's really restrictive like UK or say...Maryland. I'd take one of those KERABIT "Travel Wrenches." They're pretty easy to use and very innocous to the untrained or heck to the trained AND experienced eye! No real upper body strength is needed if the techniques are used properly and there is a great little video avaliable that teaches proper use. The cost of the impact weapon itself is about $10 and the video will run another $30 + shipping.

I know a lot of folks here HATE this company (BoTach) but I've been blessed to not have any problems and this is a good site to see what I'm talking about. I'm certain you can get the instrument elsewhere.

http://store.botachtactical.com/kelwordtlimk1.html

In facy, I think the thing was invented by martialist Kelly Worden so do a search on him, maybe.
    very interesting Ex! I didn't know about these, I'll have to look at that, will be interesting to learn about them

and I'm one of the folks that doesn't like botach...they dropped the ball on 3 different orders, no communication, replies to emails take 3 weeks, I just can't do anymore business with them but to each their own, I hope others have better luck with them
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

I'd get on the stick ASAP and:

1) Tell her to buy locally the strongest, nastiest walking stick she can in the local marketplace and walk everywhere with it. It will become a natural extension within two days

2) Fed Exp her a new "Hairbrush" and a Kerabit "Travel Wrench"

And to excuse my poor manners in advance, but just stating the obvious, (I'm a bit jet-lagged). plan ahead next time.

Tell her to stay alert, further develop her intuition ASAP, and trust it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I'd get on the stick ASAP and:

1) Tell her to buy locally the strongest, nastiest walking stick she can in the local marketplace and walk everywhere with it. It will become a natural extension within two days

2) Fed Exp her a new "Hairbrush" and a Kerabit "Travel Wrench"

And to excuse my poor manners in advance, but just stating the obvious, (I'm a bit jet-lagged). plan ahead next time.

Tell her to stay alert, further develop her intuition ASAP, and trust it.
    I forgot to mention that we talked about getting a "walking stick", she said she'd look for one when she got there

....and we did plan ahead, I researched the weapons laws, etc, they have an outright ban on firearms so she took her 3" cold steel "letter opener" and I told her to get the other knife to carry with her medical instrument fanny pack, I emphasized situational awareness with her too

I just wanted to throw this scenario out on the forum for discussion, I thought it would be interesting to see people's ideas for this situation
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

....and we did plan ahead, I researched the weapons laws, etc, they have an outright ban on firearms so she took her 3" cold steel "letter opener" and I told her to get the other knife to carry with her medical instrument fanny pack, I emphasized situational awareness with her too
    Sorry I missed that.......

VIP Member
    no problem, I just realized that I had left out some stuff in my OP
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Going back to an earlier point, we trust God when He opens the door to the mission field, taking with it the risk, trusting in Him for our welfare in this regard, whatever the laws there are. Here if I carry all the time, it's not a matter of trust, but of wisdom. He has given my wife and I the wisdom to see what dangers lurk, and the ability to apply that knowlwedge in a way we see fit (moving, gun, dog etc.)
    H@H

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hickatheart View Post
    Going back to an earlier point, we trust God when He opens the door to the mission field, taking with it the risk, trusting in Him for our welfare in this regard, whatever the laws there are. Here if I carry all the time, it's not a matter of trust, but of wisdom. He has given my wife and I the wisdom to see what dangers lurk, and the ability to apply that knowlwedge in a way we see fit (moving, gun, dog etc.)
    H@H
    Not to take this thread off in a wrong direction but I personally don't see the difference.....we trust in God everytime we get in the car to drive down the road, we trust in God whenever we go to Wally World but I still carry my G30, my wife trusts in God here at home and still carries a G26 here to protect herself against scumbags, she trusts in God over there for 10 days so why not carry something to help protect her ? I just don't understand the logic of "I'm going on a mission so I'll give up my warrior mindset or using a weapon to defend myself." It just doesn't make since to me, but thanks for your comments.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

spyderco civilian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links