CRKT Dogfish neck knife

CRKT Dogfish neck knife

This is a discussion on CRKT Dogfish neck knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ordered a few of these CRKT Dogfish neck knives the other day, and they're expected to be delivered on Tuesday. I really like the ...

Thread: CRKT Dogfish neck knife

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

CRKT Dogfish neck knife

I ordered a few of these CRKT Dogfish neck knives the other day, and they're expected to be delivered on Tuesday.

I really like the look of them, and I'll try to post back and let you know how they feel when I get them. I don't like ordering stuff I've never handled in person, but these are inexpensive ($17.97 each). I am getting some plain edged and some with partial serrations.

I didn't think to ask anyone if they have this knife, before I ordered. I am hoping that they are V-ground, and not chisel-ground. The last chisel-ground neck knife I got, the CRKT Neck Peck, I totally reprofiled on a diamond bench stone until it was V-ground! I like it much better now, but if I end up liking the Dogfish even half as much, the Neck Peck might never see the outside of my footlocker again.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Those are probably good little inexpensive knives. I believe they're bevel ground, so your Neck Peck's are probably not going to see daylight anymore (Wanna get rid of them?).

I considered getting one, but am also looking at CRKT's Ringer. They come in 3 different blade types & one of them is 3 1/2" OAL, which is small & would make for a good neck knife.

Definitely let us know how they are.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

The description on CRKT's website did say "bevel ground," but I was not sure if that was a term for a V-grind or a chisel grind. You say it's V? WOOT WOOT!! I'm gonna be very happy, then.

Now, they're high-carbon stainless... I wonder how much I'm gonna have to fight against corrosion. I wear my necker 24/7, in and out of showers, ocean, etc. I guess I'll have to be more diligent about drying it, possibly. I can handle that, so long as the thing doesn't rust while I'm in the water...

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I believe they're bevel ground, so your Neck Peck's are probably not going to see daylight anymore (Wanna get rid of them?).

How'd you know I have a backup one?!

That looks pretty good if it is in fact v-ground. I like the shape...looks like it'd be pretty decent for "Pikal."
    I've been thinking about picking up another small fixed-blade so let us know what you think.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Let us know how they work out.
    Quick question, did you order before they went out of stock?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Yes, I think I got their last few of them. I ordered three plain edged and one combo edged; I received an e-mail informing me that the delivery should occur tomorrow (7/31).

I don't, of course, know how quickly they restock at NGK. It would probably be worthwhile to telephone them and say that you know the guy who bought the last few, and would like them to get on it and get some more in... Of course, you might wish to wait until tomorrow to see if I get mine and report that they're worthwhile.

I have a good feeling about them, though. But one thing I am also confident of is that there'll be a need for me to re-sharpen the edges. I almost always have to do that with new knives.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    But one thing I am also confident of is that there'll be a need for me to re-sharpen the edges. I almost always have to do that with new knives.
    Isn't that the sad truth. Although I got a new Benchmade Griptilian 550SBK that what VERY sharp. Sliced one of my fingers REAL good while practicing opening/closing LH...OUCH!

Most production knives don't seem too sharp these days. My Spyderco A.T.R. was very sharp, too, but I was surprised at how dull the Emerson mini-CQC7 was (Although admittedly it was bought used from a forum member).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I found them at www.knifecenter.com for $1 more, for those so inclined
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Knifecenter doesn't always have the best prices, but their site is excellent, very searchable and thorough, and the selection beats just about all. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Knifecenter, somewhere between a half dozen and a dozen, I estimate.

With regard to knives coming sharp or not-so-sharp from the factory, I actually perceive an improvement lately with the Spydercos I've bought. They make the few knives that I don't feel I have to touch up. Many times I do, though, just to take that factory-ground striated look off the edge. I like the more polished look that comes off my ceramic stones.

I have a Spyderco Bill Moran Featherweight that is a few years old. I've never put it to actual use, so it still has its original factory edge on it. Let me tell you, that VG-10 knife has THE CRAZIEST SHARP EDGE of any knife I've ever bought. It's as close as anything I own is to being like a straight razor. The thing can pick out individual fingerprint grooves, it's so ridiculously sharp!

Before I ever go and use that thing for actual carrying and cutting, I'll have to get myself a backup so that I don't have to worry about ruining the beautiful edge and having to chance resharpening it myself.

Neat little knife. I don't know if these people have them in stock, but for $16.97, it's worth a look, and they are an excellent seller-
    http://www.knivesplus.com/cgi-knives...ip=75.32.48.31
    What Would Gumby Do?

I'm still waiting for a UPS guy to show up today with mine. So far, nothing. Most times when the e-mail says to expect delivery on such-and-such a date, they don't disappoint. I hope they come through today--I'm eager to get these knives.

The knives came late this afternoon, and were sitting outside my door as I was leaving for work.

I have to say that while I like the knives and I like the sheaths, [i]the sheaths don't retain the knives as strongly as I want them to.

As it happens, the very first one I opened holds the best, and I have it on my neck now. (I'm about to sharpen it; as I expected from CRKT, there is a need to put a serviceable edge on it.)

But I want to ask anyone who might know about this: IS THERE ANY DECENT WAY TO SHRINK THE KYDEX A LITTLE BIT MORE AROUND THE CHOIL OF THE KNIFE TO MAKE IT GRIP BETTER?

I am wondering if applying heat would do it, either gently with a jet-flame lighter or maybe at a medium temperature in an oven to soften it up... Would this be a mistake? Because as it stands, three of the knives are kinda "iffy" for neck carry...

EDIT: I just took a risk, whipped out my trusty Vector jet-flame lighter, and lightly melted the part of the sheath that grips the choil of the knife, pressing it against the knife to make it conform better.

The kydex shows the fact that it was re-softened, but hey, it sits under a shirt all the time, and I'd rather have it function well than look good, and that's exactly what happened. I was able to re-form the kydex more snugly to the knife's shape, and now there is really no worry that they will fall out during normal wear, or even typical shocks.

Now I continue with the edge re-profiling...
    Last edited by peacefuljeffrey; August 1st, 2007 at 06:08 AM.

You may be able to add a couple of chicago screws close to the blade opening and keep the tension adjustable?

I don't even know what chicago screws are, but per my edit, I was able to re-form the kydex by heat from a lighter, and it's working A-OK as of now.

Sponsored Links