Recommendation on first EDC Light - Page 2

Recommendation on first EDC Light

This is a discussion on Recommendation on first EDC Light within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just before i got out of LE i had a streamlight stinger . Now that was a handy little light with a fairly small footprint, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Just before i got out of LE i had a streamlight stinger . Now that was a handy little light with a fairly small footprint, and enough light to do the job . What all today would compaire to it ? I have not needed a light for many years , but now find myself wanting one that would roughly meet or exceed that old streamlight . Rechagable would be ok i guess but i would prefer replaceable batterys
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I carried a Streamlight Stinger on my job (basic security) when I first started and found I did not like it. First off, mine was a rechargeable and it seemed to lose light strength fast after about an hour or so. The button was very hard for me to push (nigh impossible) when I was wearing leather gloves. I also found the grip a bit too slippery for a possible defense situation. But that's just me. I recently bought a Brinkmann Maxfire for EDC and am thinking about buying a surefire for carry on my job. They just fit my style more.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well I'm looking forward to getting my first one. I'm a real sucker for well crafted, machined items like a flashlight or gun. I'll definitely consider getting a variable output next for more general purpose uses.

Thanks again for all the inputs and God Bless!
    Gideon

Fenix or Streamlight.

I carry a Fenix P3D myself.

Anything over 60 lumens in the dark will cause disorientation. My P3D at 150 lumens or so will cause disorientation in much brighter conditions and much longer distances.

one more in praise of the surefire's and the E2e.

Well I now own an E2E and an E2L; guess I got a bit carried away

I just love these lights. The E2E is definitely brighter, lighter and shorter than the E2L because of the lamp housing for the LED on the E2L. I took the E2E coon hunting with a friend the other night. Showed the land owner the "little" light I was carrying and he was surprised when he tried it. The E2L is not a bright, is bigger, etc. but I like the idea of 14 hours of 45 lumen.

I do still plan on getting a 1 battery light for traveling so if I loose it or it's taken in Airport security, I won't feel too bad.

And now, I'm looking at those fenix lights again but this time at their new P3D. I've found a real liking for POWER! They may not be as good as surefire but for the price I can afford to try one.

I'm also looking at getting a Surefire 6P, and then buying a tailcap pressure switch from TacStar so I can mount it on a shotgun.

This light business is almost as much fun as guns!

Anyway, I appreciate all of the input and can say that anyone would be well served by either of the two lights I bought. I used to simply love my mini mag lights but now, well, they seem like toys for my boys!

God Bless
    Gideon

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Well I now own an E2E and an E2L; guess I got a bit carried away.
    Great. Now I'm jealous!

I do still plan on getting a 1 battery light for traveling so if I loose it or it's taken in Airport security, I won't feel too bad.
    Might as well be an Inova X1, runs on 1 AA battery. Not the brightest light or the best, but it's very compact and sits in a compact nylon belt holster. Makes a cool bluish-white spot of decent brightness. Not a tactical light, or a heavy duty trek-through-the-woods light. It won't set you back so much that it'd be a big loss if it were taken.

I should note that on Candlepowerforums, stories abound of how people have had NO TROUBLE going through airport security with all manner of flashlights. I have gone through with the Inova T1, and with a MiniMag LED without even a moment's hassle.

And now, I'm looking at those fenix lights again but this time at their new P3D. I've found a real liking for POWER! They may not be as good as surefire but for the price I can afford to try one.
    If you like reverse-clicky switches, and chinese products, when there are American-made lights to be had...

i like my fenix L2D ce..lumens is like 135 ,,uses regular 2 AA batteries or rechareables,,,very light weight,has the cree led which is very good bulb,

Well they're shipping me my Fenix P1D today; it's supposed to put out 135 lumens at max on 1 CR123 using the creed lamp. Then I ordered the new version of Fenix's P3D which puts out 200 lumen max on 2 CR123's. I had to "pre-order" that one so no telling when it will ship.

I have to stop!

The P1D was about $60, the P3D around $70 and they don't charge shipping. Talk about binge buying but it was my birthday and my anniversary and,...well...

Anyway, if these turn out to be just close to Surefire in the quality, then they'll be great values. As for buying Chinese, I buy best value. If we were serious about not buying Chinese products some would be shocked how little they could buy but the good thing is, if you sell a lot to a customer and make lots of money off a customer, who do you take care of

God Bless
    Gideon

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Anyway, if these turn out to be just close to Surefire in the quality, then they'll be great values. As for buying Chinese, I buy best value. If we were serious about not buying Chinese products some would be shocked how little they could buy but the good thing is, if you sell a lot to a customer and make lots of money off a customer, who do you take care of

God Bless
    Gideon
    While I am all for free trade and captalism, China is an enemy of the United States. Yes, the lights may be a great value but what are you willing to sacrifice to save a few dollars. If, for example, they killed a female Chinese baby for each light they sold would you still be as excited? Are you aware of the labor practices in China?

You are probably correct that I do not know the origin of all the products I buy. That does not excuse the effect of trading with the enemy, which by the way, violates trade agreements every day.

But you got a good deal.

Surefire +1.

+1 on the Surefire E2e. It is my EDC while off duty and a back up light to my G2 while on duty. I actually used the E2e while working today. I was checking the interior of a house when the battery died on my G2.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    While I am all for free trade and captalism, China is an enemy of the United States. Yes, the lights may be a great value but what are you willing to sacrifice to save a few dollars. If, for example, they killed a female Chinese baby for each light they sold would you still be as excited? Are you aware of the labor practices in China?
    I read in today's paper that since they had that bridge collapse (it was WORSE than the one in Minn.!) the Chinese government has forbidden the press over there from reporting on it, to the point where government officials have beaten and chased reporters!

All of that said, it's getting really really hard to buy anything that can be guaranteed to have come from a "friendly" source.

Well I got the fenix P1D; I'll say this, it's not a surefire but it's not bad at all; I'll outshine my E2E with about the same quality of light. It's not as robust and it can roll off the desk because there's no angles. It does stand up on end which is nice. It's a good value though for $60.00. In SOS mode it literally is putting out morse cost for "SOS". Interesting. The strobe function seems to be a waste. Can't imagine a single practical reason for a strobe function? Can you?

The three settings for normal, high (or turbo) and low are all good. Using the bezel to turn to the modes is easy and not too bad. The anodizing isn't type III but it's "okay". Seems better than any mini mag light. Mine didn't come with the lanyard that they talk about on the website. I'll call them and ask. The little lobster claw key chain thingy is reasonably well made and would be ideal for attaching this to keys if you wanted to do so but this would lead to scratching it up and possibly scratching the lense.

The holster is very minimalist but then again, this is a pocket light. It's literally the size of a small thumb and impressive in the light it puts out. Good for tactical applications? Probably not but in a pinch or as an EDC for the average citizen; yup, it's good.

Now as for buying from China; I appreciate the thoughts shared here. I do consider them an "enemy state", however, until we get an administration in washington that will work in the economics between our two countries then there's nothing you or I will be able to do other than to appease our own minds. With the yen artificially pegged to the US dollar we'll never be in a true "fair" trade position. To change that, you'll need an administration that is willing to do some things that might hurt some US businesses short term but will have long term gains after they're out of office. I don't seem many polititicians like that on either side of the isle. Bottom line; politicians are doing what they do to get elected and retain power, not whats in the best long term interests of our country. What's really sad is that there are so many people who will vote for whoever will "give" them the most without regard to what it really costs this country long term.

So greedy people who don't care about the future of our country and who don't truly understand the big pictures of world economics, etc. are just as much at fault as the politicians.

Sorry for the rant but I too wish I didn't have to buy from China but then you'd have to scratch Walmart, JC Penny and a whole lot of other sources including dollar tree, dollar general, etc. off our list of stores.

So, I pray for my country, served it in the military for 21+ years but now I buy best value, vote my mind and preach to people on how to be saved, afterall, that's the real issue.

When I get my fenix P3D, I'll do a four way comparison with my surefires and the P1D. I also found another company that offers a 300 lumen light for about $85. Looks good.

God Bless
    Gideon

FYI--The yen in Japanese. The Chinese currency is the "yuan" or "renminbi", which is no longer pegged to the dollar as of July 2005.

PS--Thanks for the info on lights. I really need to get one, but have been debating which one.

Cheers,
    Herk

Is there a reliable and resonable source for online purchasing of DC supplies? Especially items like Surefire flashlights and IWB holsters?
    I know the prices in my town, but is there a significant difference doing business online? My concern is, I do not know who is a dependable and reliable vendor online. I have bought other supplies in unrelated fields (elecronics) online and some dealers are less than sterling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links