Recommendation on first EDC Light

This is a discussion on Recommendation on first EDC Light within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, need some help on lights. I carry a gun and knife whenever possible but would like to add an EDC light as part ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Hi all, need some help on lights. I carry a gun and knife whenever possible but would like to add an EDC light as part of my standard carry gear.

I've been looking at the surefires, pelicans, and some other models but you can probably help me cut down the search, so here's some criteria:

1. Under $100
    2. Bright enought to use in an SD scenario
    3. Tailcap on/off to hold when presenting a gun
    4. A clip of some sort
    5. Small enought to slip in a pocket and carry out on the town, etc.

I looked at a Fenix P2D (I think?) that was only $40 or less and seemed reasonable putting out 80+ lumen but I don't know how many lumen's actually impresses a bad guy?

I've also noticed some lights are SUPER bright and last a short time while others are less bright w/longer run times. For general EDC, what would you recommend for lumen?

I've looked at the Surefire Executive defender model and like it but it's $110 and I think it would be a bit big to carry around in the pocket.

Any thoughts or recommendations on what you've settled on as EDC as part of your CCW daily carry would be greatly appreciated! Once I figure out a small pocket carry EDC light, I'll start thinking about a good pack/bag/nightstand light.

Thanks in advance for your time and help guys!
    God Bless
    Gideon

I really like Surefire, I have a 6P, 6Z, and G2. The G2 is the deal of the century if you ask me. For a bit more than the G2, I like the Inova T5. Not as bright as the SFs, but LONG run time. I gather SF is coming out with an LED that should mitigate run time issues. If I buy another light anytime soon, it will be the Fenix you mention, just because it looks like a very nice light that is reviewed on a couple of boards. Do a search on flashlights here, there are posters that have forgotten more than I will ever understand about lights. See posts by member "Clipse" or one of the best sites on the web, www.flashlightreviews.com
    What Would Gumby Do?

Surefire E1e fits easily in a pocket, plenty bright too.

I'd highly suggest the Surefire E2e. You won't believe how small it is. It's also very bright and incredibly strong. It will totally mess up your perception of flashlights!

Typically, I think 60 lumens is considered the starting point for a "tactical" light.

Personally, I'd prefer a Surefire over the Fenix for reliability reasons. Fenix has been setting a new bar in terms of price/performance, but when it comes to reliability, I'd still go for a Surefire.

Also keep in mind, different companies rate their lights differently. Some rate the brightness of the LED or bulb and some the actual output. Surefire is well known for "real" lumens, not theoretical.

If you can stand another obsession, visit candlepowerforums.com

-john

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Thanks for the input guys. I've been reading a lot on line and determined I'll have to end up with several to really meet my needs!

I've gone ahead and ordered an E2E for my first. I'll probalby add the smaller single battery surefire later. I just need to see what this one will look like. I got the E2E with hard anodized finish, free shipping and four extra batteries for $79 so it seems like an okay deal. I also went ahead and bought a box of 12 extra batteries so I can play....I mean test it out.

You've gotta love good machined equipment!

God Bless and thanks again to those who shared their thoughts! I appreciate it!
    Gideon

You won't regret it. When looking at the single cell lights, consider the new version (just released) of the SF L1. It does two brightness levels and is about as bright as the E2e on "high" and you get utility and long runtime from the "low" setting.

-john

Another vote for the SureFire E2e...I've had mine for several years without a problem...and...buy extra batteries soon...the price keeps climbing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Oh, almost forgot. Make sure you order your batteries online. Brick and mortars are universally a rip-off when it comes to the 123a batteries.

-john

Some good suggestions here. A carry light is something that really depends on your needs. While the Fenix P2D is a fine light, I tend to want more quality out of light I may need to trust my life to. Not saying that Fenix doesn't make a good light. I use the Fenix L2D daily. I'm a big proponent of multi-output lights. If you're like me, you'll end up using your light alot and not for SD. So, having the ability to use a lower output that won't eat up batteries would be a godsend. Unfortunately, you're going to have a hard time finding a good quality light with multi-output for under $100. The best for the price (and this is if the lights are as good as the HDS EDC U60 that I carry) can be found here

Novatac had obsorbed HDS at one time and Henry from HDS was working for Novatac building and designing these lights. The HDS is THE BEST non-custom light out.......bar-none. IMHO.

Novatac recently got a finished a couple government contracts one of which is supplying lights to the SAS.

Just something to consider. Also, with these lights, when it says 85 lumens they mean 85 lumens. Not more, not less, just simple 85 lumens. :)
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Note, while Clipse has noted the 85 lumen version to be closer to your price target, there is also a 120 lumen version.

If you run the brighter light at one of the lower output modes you will get increased runtime.

-john

Mo
    I have 2 G2's - one on my bedside gun and one in my car. I carry an E2E in my edc bag every day, but it easily slips into the pocket as well - significantly slimmer than the G2 and I love the anodized body. You made a great purchase!

again... Surefire. i don't want to cause friction but i also personally feel pelicans are knockoffs and found them to be totally unreliable and broken down more than turned on.

i have had my surefire for over 3 years (not my first) and it's worth the price of the batteries. ...keeps on ticking.
    What's this button do?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    At this point, LED flashlight technology has come so far, gotten so bright and reliable, that I would never think of carrying an incandescent (read: prone to filament breakage) light again.

I would be wary of the Fenix lights, because as I understand it, their tailcap switches are what they call "reverse-clicky": when you press the switch, you get a click and then on the release of the switch, the light goes on. You don't get a momentary-on function with a reverse-clicky. I consider that bad. For any kind of tactical application, momentary-on is a must, is it not?

Now, about SureFire. I just got my first one, $99, the E1L Outdoorsman. When I tried it out in the store, I couldn't really tell how bright it was, but I knew it was likely to be bright enough to satisfy me. What I did have to make sure about was that even though it doesn't have that rubber combat-grip ring that their tactical lights have, I could hold it between fingers and use the heel of my palm to actuate the switch. I can. Easily.

So if you want something pocket sized that does not reach into the $200-300 range, go for the E1L (1 cell, 30 lumens in the updated model) or the E2L (2 cell, 45 lumens). The E1L is $99 as I said, and the E2L is about $129 or so. You will find yourself not wanting to be without this light.

I was going to recommend the Inova T2, which is a damn good flashlight (I have a T2 and a T3) but I have tried it out in that combat grip and can't make the switch go with my palm heel. In the thumb-at-the-back grip, it's fine, but that takes that hand away from being able to be a support hand for a pistol.

Remember, think hard about whether you want a reverse-clicky switch. You probably don't.

I love my Streamlights. I usually carry a TL-2. It is compact, very bright and has a clip for half of what a Surefire costs.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I would be wary of the Fenix lights, because as I understand it, their tailcap switches are what they call "reverse-clicky": when you press the switch, you get a click and then on the release of the switch, the light goes on. You don't get a momentary-on function with a reverse-clicky. I consider that bad. For any kind of tactical application, momentary-on is a must, is it not?

PJ,

Any light that incorporates mode switching into the tailcap switch will not have a momentary on function. In the case of Fenix lights, the on/off switch also switches between the 9 lumen/40 lumen/90 lumen/SOS modes, and also between the 160 lumen/strobe modes on the tactical side. I find it easy enough to block the light with my palm or forearm if I need to, but IMHO I'd rather have the versatility of multiple modes for EDC over the tactical virtues of a momentary on tailcap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links