My dad is being sent to Iraq 1 September and wants a good knife

This is a discussion on My dad is being sent to Iraq 1 September and wants a good knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; its the benchmade rescue hook, looks like the bottom one. I swear by it. It got me out of this. Nothing like being riot cuffed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My dad is being sent to Iraq 1 September and wants a good knife

its the benchmade rescue hook, looks like the bottom one. I swear by it. It got me out of this. Nothing like being riot cuffed to a tent pole...130 degrees outside...God only knows inside the tent.
    Attached Images
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

2. Remove Ads

I like the SOG seal pup... and mine came with a nice kydex sheath.

Tell your Dad good luck and stay safe.

Gerber Mark I - I carried one for several years while on deployments O'seas mine is a little worn from use- it has cut rope, sheet metal, trees and parts off animals

you may find them on E-bay

tell your Dad to stay safe, and thanks for being the point of the spear.

Considering the purpose of the knife, get a fixed stainless blade that is more than 4.5 inches long, has the steel going through the handle and a metal end at the back for hitting, a finish with no glare, strong enough not to break with hard use, not too heavy, lanyard hole at back of knife and a shape on the handle that stops the hand from going forward or back when thrusting or pulling.

Best wishes to your father!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Here you go:

http://www.knivesplus.com/ontarioknifeqn-rat5s.html

Consider a Rat-5 from ontario. It's a true fixed blade fighting/work knife. Tie some parachute cord through the lanyard whole. 1095 sharpens up rather easily in the field. The sheath looks to be decent. The price is right and about what you're going to have to pay to get something suitable. Also, this knife is quite available unlike some of the swamp rat knives.

This knife will last his career.

I'm retired Air Force; I'll pray for your father and admire him for his service to his country! I've attached a pic of the knife I'm talking about. I think its perfect for what you need.

By the way, there's a Rat 7 with a 6.5" blade and a Rat-3 but the Rat 3's handles is too small for a good combat fighting knife and the Rat -7 is getting a bit big.

God Bless
    Gideon
    SMSgt USAF Retired
    Attached Images

How a knife feels can be a personal thing. Having a knife you trust can be a personal too. Perhaps you should discuss this more with your father. If he is in the military there must be those he knows who have been to Iraq and can make suggestions and might have something used they'll sell that has been proven to be useful in Iraq.

You know, I have owned some knives over the years, but the one that has lasted through everything and holds a good edge, cleaned many deer for me and never failed has been the good old Marine K-Bar; Consider that one, if it is good enough for 50+ years in the Marine Corps, it should work nowadays. I remember I bought mine at a gun show for 35 bucks.... It has outlasted knives I paid over 100 dollars for.

Just my 2 cents
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

During the first Gulf war, my dad took a new Kabar with him. When he came back, it looked 20 years old but just as functional.

Thanks to you and your dad. If I might suggest looking at DLT Trading Company for their Bark River Knive and Tool knives. I'm not much of a hand at computer stuff or I'd post a link. BRKT is top shelf stuff with several offerings that will fit your needs.Good stuff.

Tell him a former Infantry Captain said "GODSPEED, Sir."

If he's a LTC I doubt he'll be walking point on a patrol. 05 is a battalion Command. Even if he were SpecOps, he'd not be an "A" Team commander but he might head a group or series of teams. I'm not speculating I just don't want you to worry a lot.

He wants a combat knife? Can't go wrong with a Randall. Also a lot of folks I know seem to like MERC WORX. K-Bar has worked well for several wars. I'd carry any of these, but I'd also carry a SOG Multi-Tool.

Of course, he could get himself a Samurai sword and as he draws it, look at the enemy and say:
    IN THE END...THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well, I'm what you call a knife nut. I own and have owned many knives that are in all price ranges. Here are my suggestions. I would look for something with a 71/2 to 8 inch thin (width, not thickness) blade with a decent hilt and good grip. Either a double hilt, knurled grip, or groved micarta or G-10 material like the Martin Attack model as my avitar. The best makers for the money in my opinion are Martin Kinves, De Leon, Chris Reeve, and Tops Tactical. They are not cheap, but they will not break! S30V stainless is the way to go, no cleaning needed. a few examples below. I like the Reeve, although it doesn't have a large hilt, it's very concealable and is made from one solid piece of steel. I've put mine through hell and it's still in great shape. You also have the advantage of the hollow handle for matches, etc... and the blade won't break off just when you need it most like the famed $800.00 Randall Model 18 Attack. i've got some good sellers to refer you to if your interested. Send a PM.

Chris Reeve Progect 2

De Leon Subhilt

Martin MR14

Tops Steel Eagle TP111A

I'd be willing to lend the TOPS Steel Eagle to your father while he's serving our country. It's badass and even at 16 inches, very highly concealable. This thing has got some weight, and the tanto style can puncture steel not to mention it's length would put a little mor distance between himself and an his enemy.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Of course, he could get himself a Samurai sword and as he draws it, look at the enemy and say:
    IN THE END...THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

VIP Member
    I would never go into harm's way without 2 KA-BAR's with me. One on the belt and the other just as you've described. There was some talk about the knives mentioned not being up to military demands... I am sure the KA-BAR wasn't intended to be in that discussion. Since its original issue with the Browning Automatic Rifle over a generation ago it has remained a high quality "do it all" knife.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Do they not issue the M9 bayonet anymore?

tell him that it's more important to be able to lift his head back and shoot from the prone than it is to use a knife. it's already hard enough with a helmet and the flexible neck armor for the flack vest. he's probably going to have a camelback and vest handle there as well to get tangled up on. find a new location. fore arm under shirt sleeve is good for the scenario he's describing.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links