My dad is being sent to Iraq 1 September and wants a good knife

This is a discussion on My dad is being sent to Iraq 1 September and wants a good knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I figured this would be the place to start. He wants a good fixed blade knife that he can strap to his back so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My dad is being sent to Iraq 1 September and wants a good knife

So I figured this would be the place to start. He wants a good fixed blade knife that he can strap to his back so that if he is force to put his hands behind his head he will have something to grab.

He swore that he will not be captured. He told me that he plans to fight to the death/force them to kill him before he would ever let them capture him and parade him around and behead him or something. The only scenario that has him in "captive" mode is one where he is unconscious when they get to him (IED/Helo crash/ect). If this happens he wants to have a knife right there that he could hopefully use to kill his captors or force them to kill him. So he asked me to "get on my internet gun site" and ask for suggestions on:

1. the knife
    2. a holster / system that straps the knife to his back (along his spine)

Background info: He's an US Army LTC that will be working in Baghdad. I don't know that I should divulge much more than that.

First of all, tell your dad he is a great American and we are all support him.

The problem is knowing how much we are talking about spending here. This will determine what sould be recommended or what is best for the money.

The other problem is the "Marines", "Navy Seals" and
    "Special Forces" is what is most popular on combat knives. The several I have in mind to recommened has either Marines or Seal in the name or on the blade. I couldn't care less what it is as long as it does the job it is intended to do. But I know the different branches have the pride thing going so these might be out.

Let us know some more info so we can recommend a knife that is affordable and that would fit the need best.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

JD
    Administrator
    The spine sheath makes me think sword, does he wan't a sword or a combat knife?

JD
    Administrator
    Knife wise I'd recommend the following.

1: CRKT Hissatsu

2:New style Ontario Marine Bayonet

3:Ontario SP14 Tanto 10" or SP6 Fighter

4: Standard KA-Bar

If your talking swords for Military use, I'd only suggest on of these, getting around Iraq with a full Katana just isn't going to happen.

http://www.ontarioknife.com/blackwind.html

This should be able to be hooked right to his flack jacket.

http://sogknives.com/store/S5.html

Don't worry about the one that got away, the SOG Tigershark took care of that small fish! This versatile field knife dominates on land or sea. The larger version of the SEAL Knife, it has a massive 9" bowie-style blade that is powder coated and partially serrated. This striking knife is razor-sharp and strong with our deepest serration yet, so it easily takes on big or small cutting, slicing and chopping chores.

The Tigershark's contoured Kraton handle features aggressively textured scales for a solid and comfortable grip. Furthermore, forget the basket, this big fish carries in SOG's new all-weather, dual mounting Kydex sheath is jump-rated and fits a military belt.

$195.00
    would something like this interest him?
    Attached Images
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Maybe something really slim that could be overlooked by a cursory pat down. Prison-style shank? (maybe as a secondary that he could reach with his hands behind his back? Oh, I guess the point is not to get to that point). My very best to your dad and family.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

haha He doesn't want a sword. He just wants a knife that he can mount right there that he can draw as a last resort being held captive sort of thing.

As for price--I don't know that he cares what the price is. I can ask him tomorrow but he probably sleeping now. Just keep it reasonable. Also, I dont think he cares if it says "Navy Seals" or "Marines" on it.

JD
    Administrator
    I'd get the Hissatsu, I think they run around $80.oo

They are wicked sharp, hold a good edge and the tanto style blade is really good for stabbing. The spine on the blade is pretty thick and IIRC it's full tang.

When I was deployed, I had more than one knife when I was (frequently) outside the wire: in addition to bayonet (LBV belt), I had a boot knife and a pocket knife (backpocket, kershaw Ken Onion), and a smaller knife (cargo pocket, SOG Flash II).

Something to think about.

Now I don't want to offend anybody here, but the majority of knives mentioned are worthless as **** in a military use scenario.

You want something that is not going to break & something that will do anything it's called upon to do & those knives listed above will break when called upon for hard use.

I'm not up on spinal carry of blades, but if that's what he wants then....

I wear a Newt Livesay woo neck knife when deployed to the box & actually still wear it now and again, but Newt is no longer making blades.

I'd personally look at something along the lines of a CRKT NECK knife http://www.crkt.com/neck.html as it's a superb knife. CKRT makes some really good blades http://www.crkt.com/ftws.html & ya can find em at AAFES most of the time.

I'd also recommend a Strider blade or 2 http://www.striderknives.com/ nobody makes better blades than the Strider guys when it comes to hard core abuse/misuse knives that you can bet your life on. I've got 2 MT series blades and they are the cats meow!!!

AG Russell is another place ya can find some superb knives & the field tweezers is something you pops might want to take with him. http://www.agrussell.com/

Busse,http://www.bussecombat.com/ and Swamp Rat http://www.swamprat.com/ also make superb blades.

My last trip to the sandbox was made with a Trace Rinaldi Warhawk http://www.thrblades.com/ and Trace is one hell of a guy and a outstanding knife maker willing to work with you for what you want. My Warhawk is a tanto blade & scary sharp.

Last blade I can recommend without reservation but almost impossible to find is a Simonich Knife made by Rob Simonich before he was killed http://www.simonichknives.com/ The Simonich Mid-Tech Knives are superb blades, but do not have the personality of the ones made by Rob.

I would suggest two knives. One, standard issue bayonet. I still have mine, as I couldnt let it go. The sheath has the fence cutter attachment, its teflon coated for easy cleaning, and he could probably put the muscle on the supply sergeant and get one for free. second, I would suggest a small rescue blade that alot of paramedics and such carry for seat belt cutting. I have one and it works great. You can get them in small sizes. And this is what i did with it. I stitched a small pouch on the inside of my BDU pants with a velcro latch. run it to go lengthwise so it stays entirely behind the belt. This way if captured and patted down it stands a good chance of being overlooked in a pat down as its behind the belt. and with your hands behind you, you can still easily reach it, and the way they are built makes it easy to use when you dont have full motion of your hands.
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Interesting thread. TJ Carr's recommendations are all very good. I would add Ranger knives to that. Justin Gingrich has personal military experience (Army Rangers, hence the name), & makes some very good, strong knives for what I believe are very good prices.

Many of his blades are over 1/4" thick & he typically uses 1095 & 5160 steel. 2 models that come to mind are the "Little Bird" (4" OAL, 1 3/4" coated 1095 steel blade) for $45 & the "Ranger Shiv" (8 3/8" OAL, 4 1/4" coated 1095 steel blade) for $60.

My personal favorite is the RD 6 or 7. Both use 5160 steel 1/4" or thicker blade with epoxy-polyester hybrid powder coating. Those 2 particular knives have 6 or 7 1/2" blades with black or tan micarta handles & a nice ridged pommel. They run $90-100.

All the knivs I mentioned include kydex sheaths.

Their site is: www.rangerknives.com
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Check out http://www.newgraham.com/default.aspx for the CRKT knives. They have good prices, some excellent blades and superb customer service. I've purchased blades from them several times and strongly recommend em!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrk07 View Post
    I would suggest two knives. One, standard issue bayonet. I still have mine, as I couldnt let it go. The sheath has the fence cutter attachment, its teflon coated for easy cleaning, and he could probably put the muscle on the supply sergeant and get one for free. second, I would suggest a small rescue blade that alot of paramedics and such carry for seat belt cutting. I have one and it works great. You can get them in small sizes. And this is what i did with it. I stitched a small pouch on the inside of my BDU pants with a velcro latch. run it to go lengthwise so it stays entirely behind the belt. This way if captured and patted down it stands a good chance of being overlooked in a pat down as its behind the belt. and with your hands behind you, you can still easily reach it, and the way they are built makes it easy to use when you dont have full motion of your hands.
    If you don't mind my asking, what is the brand of rescue blade you used?

This looks like it could do the job:

Or maybe this would be better:

I would suggest a HAK. I could be mounted under the belt and is thin enough not to be detected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links